Losing Jeremy Lane is really gonna hurt .*update re-signed*

Jville

Reaction score
... versatile play maker. Losing Lane doesn't help their goal for more take a ways in 2016. They might have the numbers to look at on the outside. But the inside? He is gonna be much harder to replace. I'm thinking they have 2 openings to fill for a competitive nickle package.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/707027098259595264[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/707029373715505152[/tweet]

drrew

Reaction score
Will put a lot on the shoulders of Marcus Burley.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Forget nickel, Lane was taking reps from Shead opposite of Sherman last year, this ones gonna suck along with losing Irvin.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sorry but not buying a Twitter account called NFLDRAFTBITES.

I think we get Lane done, but we'll see

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ls9vai4v said:

Our #1 internal free agent by far. I think we get it done.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Really hope we can keep him. LOB needs Lane back next year

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
For several years, without exception, Championship teams have had great secondaries.

The collection of teams with very good defensive players and average to below average secondaries? A collection of teams that are nowhere near contenders.

It won't matter what weapons we get Russ if we cannot stop the pass, we won't win consistently and certainly not a SB. SB winners have great secondaries.

Losing Lane is going to be awful if true. Because it does not appear we have much in the wings that is really going to hurt a good QB. Certainly nothing that can get us a SB win.

Hopefully either we have some amazing weapons nobody knows about, Simon suddenly ends up healed up and 2x as good, and one or two guys in the wings step up. I get that Carroll is a bit of a CB whisperer, but with the entire league looking under rocks for CBs - going to be hard to find anything that got missed.

I really hope we don't turn into something like the Steelers where we get all these offensive weapons, let half our defense walk, and end up being really 'dangerous' in the regular season but not really a contender in the playoffs. Even worse because at least the Steelers won a few SBs before they turned into a shadow of what they were.

Really hoping this report on Lane is wrong.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
McGruff":2o9i6t1r said:
Hasselbeck":2o9i6t1r said:

Our #1 internal free agent by far. I think we get it done.

Agreed. FO will make a very-worthy push for him. I give retaining him a better chance than most people do.

Gametime

Reaction score
I am not sure.

I would LOVE to see Lane back and with only 6 starts and a history of injuries, how high will the market REALLY be. I would think we have a legitimate shot at bringing him back.

I sure hope so anyway!

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I see him as the biggest priority re-signing but I don't think he's worth anything near the $10 mil mark. As long as we can get him around $6-7 million he should be a no-brainer to keep.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I see Lane leaving just as Maxwell did last year. But I could also see a scenario where there is a good possibility that BB comes back to the fold.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I still believe Simon will be better than Lane or Maxwell were and he is finally healthy.

McGruff

Reaction score
There are three knocks on Simon that make me favor Lane . . .

1. Questionable work ethic. Goes all the way back to his college days. Relies on physical skills instead of honing his craft.

2. Injury history. Lanes only injury was the brutal Superbowl landing. Simon seems chronically plagued by minor injuries that keep him off the field. Just not reliable.

3. Not versatile. Either in the slot or against small and quick receivers, Simon gets exposed. Lane is able to play in and out, big and small.

GLio14

Reaction score
Honestly I think keeping Jeremy Lane is CRITICAL. I love Shead, and Burley is serviceable, but Lane is clearly superior. I'm not ready to hand the reigns to Simon either. Lane has been really good for us and he's important to the squad, while Shead or Simon can play the nickel.

McGruff

Reaction score
GLio14":1a75hjut said:
Honestly I think keeping Jeremy Lane is CRITICAL. I love Shead, and Burley is serviceable, but Lane is clearly superior. I'm not ready to hand the reigns to Simon either. Lane has been really good for us and he's important to the squad, while Shead or Simon can play the nickel.

Shead is okay at nickel. Simon has proven to be abyssmal there. The most likely scenario is Lane outside against 2 wide sets, and in 3 or more wide Lane shifts inside and Shead or Simon or Smith play outside.

That's the nice thing about Lane . . . he's a movable chess piece that can follow the matchups.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I haven't given up on Simon just yet, but at nickel? Blech. Keeping Lane is our best option. Of course, his injury history is a bit of a concern.

Willyeye

Reaction score
McGruff":meevlam7 said:
GLio14":meevlam7 said:

Shead is okay at nickel. Simon has proven to be abyssmal there. The most likely scenario is Lane outside against 2 wide sets, and in 3 or more wide Lane shifts inside and Shead or Simon or Smith play outside.

That's the nice thing about Lane . . . he's a movable chess piece that can follow the matchups.

I have felt that Lane was the most important player to re-sign this offseason. I was hoping that because he started in relatively few games and suffered the injury, that he wouldn't be all that popular in FA, and that we would be able to retain him at an affordable salary. I'm kind of thinking that if he won't re-sign for under $5.5 million APY, the Hawks won't ultimately have the available cap space to keep him. I fear that other teams will offer him a lot more than the Hawks would be willing to pay him.

I like Burley for slot, and maybe Tye Smith (has 1 year in the system now), Shead, or Simon can step up for RCB. There is also the draft, but the chances are not good that they'd get a year-one starter in the draft. Maybe there is an inexpensive FA out there that they can let compete with the group they already have.

Another thing that is beginning to worry me, they have only until tomorrow at 1:00 PM to tender Burley, Bailey, Williams, Michael, Coleman and Moody, otherwise, I do believe they become UFA's. I don't think it's a good idea for them to lose both Burley and Lane.