Donald Penn

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think he just gave an insight on national TV that the Hawks were negotiating for his services. All the conversation was about Oakland, his former team, and he slipped in out of the blue that Seattle was also an up-and-coming team, which I thought was a little odd to describe a team who was just in back-to-back Super Bowls. Thoughts on this veteran tackle possibly joining our ranks? Does he have Cable connections?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It always depends on the value of the deal, but I'd take a reliable Penn in a heartbeat.

nanomoz

Reaction score
"Utah State Go Aggies All the Way, Hey!"

If it happens, I wonder if Le'Raven Clark is a target in the first or second round of the draft.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I imagine by "up and coming" he meant in terms of competing for his services.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":5y1wlbqf said:
Very possible. Who do you like better -- Penn or Okung?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2wicbysg said:
Hawkstorian":2wicbysg said:

I wouldn't know Donald Penn from Sean Penn.

penihawk

Reaction score
Penn would be an adequit rental why they get a draft pick ready whether its a 1-2 rd player that starts inside at G or a 3-5 rd developmental OT.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Penn, a rookie, another FA....so long as it's not Russell The Drive Killer Okung, who scarcely plays a full season anyway. Good dude and a good talent and all, but the ROI just isn't there.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Food for thought - I had heard a mumble last year that Gilliam is a more natural LT than RT and that he was playing out of position. That could actually come to pass this offseason and it would appear to be a huge question mark, but it may actually be the right move. He's as athletic a tackle as you will find and he got some good experience last year playing on the wrong hashmark.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":j9i5f47a said:
Food for thought - I had heard a mumble last year that Gilliam is a more natural LT than RT and that he was playing out of position. That could actually come to pass this offseason and it would appear to be a huge question mark, but it may actually be the right move. He's as athletic a tackle as you will find and he got some good experience last year playing on the wrong hashmark.
The thing that struck me about Gilliam last year is that it seemed like we oftentimes had to give him block support with one of our tight ends. Perhaps it was because he was out of position and he's better suited to the left side. But we need to know for sure we can trust that blind side tackle to protect our prized investment.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":47n4z4jm said:
vin.couve12":47n4z4jm said:
The thing that struck me about Gilliam last year is that it seemed like we oftentimes had to give him block support with one of our tight ends. Perhaps it was because he was out of position and he's better suited to the left side. But we need to know for sure we can trust that blind side tackle to protect our prized investment.
Yes and no. We've always had a TE helping to block on that side as it's usually the strong side. Breno and Miller made a really mean tandem though. I'm sure in a lot of instances it was to help with a chip and release in the case of Gilliam, however.

You can usually tell when a player is playing on the wrong side when their kick drop doesn't open up to a good 45 degrees when facing an outside rush. With Carp, Britt, and Bailey their kick drop was horrible at RT. Their toes would still be perpendicular to the LOS post snap in their drops when they needed to open that up to face the outside rush. Gilliam was better, but it still wasn't natural and he couldn't get the proper leverage to wall the outside.

We'll see, but I do think that it's possible he ends up at LT at some point albeit maybe not next year OR at the start of the year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Where did who say what? If you're talking about Gilliam at LT, Pete said they kicked around the idea of having Gilliam play LT late last year when Okung got hurt, but ultimately went with Bailey again. Gilliam had never played RT previous to this season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":25jynsvw said:
Siouxhawk":25jynsvw said:
Hawkstorian":25jynsvw said:

I wouldn't know Donald Penn from Sean Penn.

BJ Penn over Sean all day.

firebee

Reaction score
Stuck on Bradley Sowell... Think he'd be looking real good at LT for us. Long, powerful and athletic mauler at, most likely, a fraction of the cost of Okung. Penn's up in the years and, honestly, he looks like a better fit at guard than tackle.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Word is the Raiders overpaid to move Osemele to LT because Penn had unreasonably high salary expectations and they figured that they might as well get younger instead.

I'd guess for Penn to go to the Seahawks it would have to be toward the back of the market, but it still doesn't make much sense because he's not that good and is way too old to be futzing around on prove it deals. He'd have to strike out everwhere else to go for a two for twelve, which is where I think the Hawks would become interested.