Cam Thomas To Visit Seahawks

McGruff

Reaction score
I remember hearing the same things about Rubin last year from Browns fans.

I like Thornton better, but Thomas is a solid rotational lineman.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
from the link in the OP...

"he’s played every game over the last five seasons — and had 29 tackles while making 10 starts."

These are the types of players that free agency should be about. Finding guys looking for a change of scenery in their career where they could come in and possibly contribute where there's need and excel in the right situation. Get excited more when there's good word out of camp on a player and when there's production. But, the fact that he's played in every game over the last five seasons is something. Could be a nice get.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":29n2pwai said:

Me too. Would make it a nice free agency period to sign Thornton after inking Rubin and Lane.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":m0feaqu3 said:

I mean, Rubin was a little different. His production was night and day from Thomas's and included a couple of very good seasons of play.

Thomas has done nada.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":8qs1qe09 said:
McGruff":8qs1qe09 said:

I mean, Rubin was a little different. His production was night and day from Thomas's and included a couple of very good seasons of play.

Thomas has done nada.
Agreed. Thomas is just a guy...not remotely a difference maker. If we add him, great, but I don't expect anything but someone who occupies a roster spot and makes modest contributions. His production says nothing else.

McGruff

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3qu2rl53 said:
SomersetHawk":3qu2rl53 said:
McGruff":3qu2rl53 said:

Thomas has done nada.
Agreed. Thomas is just a guy...not remotely a difference maker. If we add him, great, but I don't expect anything but someone who occupies a roster spot and makes modest contributions. His production says nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, Thomas' history and position point toward limited expectations, and replacing one of the best NT's in the game won't help anyone. But I've learned over the years to have a wait and see approach to outside free agents. Some become Cary Williams for sure, but others become Attyla Rubin.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Ron Burgundy":2lm9abnt said:
Don't get excited. He ain't that good.

Like stated above, it should be noted that other players to receive the "he ain't that good" disclaimer when they first came to Seattle were Rubin, Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Chris Clemons, and more!

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they look like after Pete Carroll has had a chance to work with them.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1ir4ooxn said:
Ron Burgundy":1ir4ooxn said:
Don't get excited. He ain't that good.

Like stated above, it should be noted that other players to receive the "he ain't that good" disclaimer when they first came to Seattle were Rubin, Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Chris Clemons, and more!

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they look like after Pete Carroll has had a chance to work with them.

We do have a goo DT rack record with FA defensive linemen.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Do people think we're going to be throwing money at him? We bring in cheap veteran DL every year and there's never much initial excitement about them.

Maybe hold off the criticism until we see how he handles the conversion to LG.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
AgentDib":1qeqx2p0 said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry because it could come true.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tackle statistics for space eaters are misleading. Guys like Thomas take on blocks so guys like Bobby Wagner come in and finish the play.

He's not splashy, but neither was Mebane or Rubin last season.. yet .. they got the job done.

ivotuk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1c1q06lx said:
Do people think we're going to be throwing money at him? We bring in cheap veteran DL every year and there's never much initial excitement about them.

LOL!

themunn

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2rw9w5z9 said:

"he’s played every game over the last five seasons — and had 29 tackles while making 10 starts."

It's also incorrect, I looked at his NFL.com page

He played in every game over the last 5 years - but had tackles in his 2 years at the Steelers where he started 10 games. In the three years prior at the Chargers he started 15 games total and had 44 tackles.

By comparison, Mebane had 25 tackles in 25 starts over the past 2 years. I'm not saying he's going to be better than Mebane of course, only that A: the stat is wrong, and that B: you can't judge players at that position by their tackle numbers.

I agree that he's exactly the type of player we should be trying to bring in though. Probably for under 2.5m per year and as a rotational player. Then we find our future stars in the draft. The Bennetts and Avrils of this world are the exception, not the rule. FA is about your Clinton McDonalds, Tony McDaniels Anthony Hargroves and Jason Jones type players.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
themunn":31w4dvx5 said:
TeamoftheCentury":31w4dvx5 said:

He played in every game over the last 5 years - but had tackles in his 2 years at the Steelers where he started 10 games. In the three years prior at the Chargers he started 15 games total and had 44 tackles.

By comparison, Mebane had 25 tackles in 25 starts over the past 2 years. I'm not saying he's going to be better than Mebane of course, only that A: the stat is wrong, and that B: you can't judge players at that position by their tackle numbers.

I agree that he's exactly the type of player we should be trying to bring in though. Probably for under 2.5m per year and as a rotational player. Then we find our future stars in the draft. The Bennetts and Avrils of this world are the exception, not the rule. FA is about your Clinton McDonalds, Tony McDaniels Anthony Hargroves and Jason Jones type players.
Sure. I got no problem with what you said. I'm not hinging my opinion on the possible move on whether or not certain stats are exactly accurate. Like you reiterated, he's the kind of player to bring in. That's all I'm saying rather than drawing distinctions without much or really any difference.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":230tk75r said:
Tackle statistics for space eaters are misleading. Guys like Thomas take on blocks so guys like Bobby Wagner come in and finish the play.

He's not splashy, but neither was Mebane or Rubin last season.. yet .. they got the job done.
Yup

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
themunn":nc1h03ca said:
TeamoftheCentury":nc1h03ca said:

Correct, canny be judging things from stats, but at the same time this guy's half-sacked a quarterback in the last five years and done f'all else.

Sure Pete and John can turn absolute nobodies into serviceable players, but this nobody? seriously? there's better nobodies out there.

Plus he gave his girlfriend herpes. I mean, come on man, do we want a nobody with herpes on our team?

themunn

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":ezq2c6lf said:
themunn":ezq2c6lf said:
TeamoftheCentury":ezq2c6lf said:

Sure. I got no problem with what you said. I'm not hinging my opinion on the possible move on whether or not certain stats are exactly accurate. Like you reiterated, he's the kind of player to bring in. That's all I'm saying rather than drawing distinctions without much or really any difference.

Sorry, the first half of my post was just drawing attention to the fact, the second half is kind of a completely separate post that wasn't supposed to draw any any of your commentary!

Latest posts