Despite near-death experience Ricardo Lockette doesn't want

Seymour

Reaction score
LOL @ near death. On my way to work I had a near death experience because if I would have jumped off that bridge I drove over I'd be dead. :sarcasm_off:

Headlines and Drama is what that was all about.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":1qplisdx said:
LOL @ near death. On my way to work I had a near death experience because if I would have jumped off that bridge I drove over I'd be dead. :sarcasm_off:

Headlines and Drama is what that was all about.

Umm, yea. There was an article out there that Lockette was told if a team mate had tugged on his arm, or someone had turned him over or moved him wrong, he would've died. So he was giving props to the firefighters and paramedics that took care of him. Might want to check some facts before you go all sarcastic.

Lane's deal is awesome for us. Raiders signed Sean Smith for 4 years, 40 million so that's already more than Irvin's deal. Starting to look like a 4th rounder, although FA has slowed down a bit.

McG

Reaction score
People that just push this issue to the side because they may not like him as a player are so ridiculous. Ricardo Lockette was not and more than likely, will not ever be a good NFL WR (personally I thought he should have been moved to safety, but that's not the point), those are just the facts. The issue is that the man almost died on the field, regardless if you believe to be true or want to think of it as "dramatic" garbage. Hell, even if you don't care about him as a person, the message he is trying to convey is there. He's letting everyone know that he's not putting blame on the game for why he almost died, he's letting us it was ultimately his fault.

Lockette doesn't want someone to change the game for his mistake on the field. He doesn't want the game to slow down or "soften up" for something he did. In a day and an age when players or the media point fingers at the game for the actions of the participants on the field (ex helmet first tackling, then blaming the game for head injuries), Lockette is just reaffirming his dedication to the game he loves and just backing up the way he plays. Also, he is just reiterating his passion for the game by attempting to get his body back to where it was prior to the incident, so he can compete on the field. Will he make it back to the NFL? Who knows, and maybe you don't care. After all, he basically cost us back to back Super Bowl victories, which is what some of you probably think about him. I can't say that I've never been a huge fan of the guy as a player, but I wouldn't wish what happened to him on just about anyone. Honestly, to be that cold hearted and bitter over a game, regardless if it's a Pee-Wee game full of 8 year olds or it's the last play of the Super Bowl, you should really do some soul searching. Sometimes you have to look past all the bad, move on, just start acting a human being again. No matter how difficult that is for some of you.

Seymour

Reaction score
He did NOT almost die. He "could have" died if he was mis-handled which he wasn't.

Makes for good press and all but anyone under emergency care "could have died" if they are mis handled.

Ya, I get it, and Lockett is a tough dude and this was a tough break that he ended being fortunate with, But jeesh....he NEVER "almost died".

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
McG":21ruveau said:
He's letting everyone know that he's not putting blame on the game for why he almost died, he's letting us it was ultimately his fault.

Lockette doesn't want someone to change the game for his mistake on the field.

[youtube]JvJMso0rPjg[/youtube]

From my perspective at the time and still today, I think Ricardo was targeted by the Cowboys to get taken out. He's led into the middle of the field by 31 and setup for the big hit by 38.

That's not to suggest that they were trying to kill him or anything, but I think the blowup was intentional. As far as mistakes go, not sure there was much he could do except have a little more awareness of where 38 was on the field.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I have the distinct impression that Seymour must not be a doctor.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":ftcmfs7p said:
McG":ftcmfs7p said:
He's letting everyone know that he's not putting blame on the game for why he almost died, he's letting us it was ultimately his fault.

From my perspective at the time and still today, I think Ricardo was targeted by the Cowboys to get taken out. He's led into the middle of the field by 31 and setup for the big hit by 38.

That's not to suggest that they were trying to kill him or anything, but I think the blowup was intentional. As far as mistakes go, not sure there was much he could do except have a little more awareness of where 38 was on the field.
I wonder what it feels like to scheme up a big hit like that, pull it off so successfully that you actually nearly kill the dude. Does it feel great? Exultant? Just another day at the office?

McG

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":3oja2hgi said:
McG":3oja2hgi said:

I believe the same thing and that to me is what's so crazy about this entire topic, or at least his stance on the situation. When other pretty well-known, high profile, star-status types in the NFL (no names, but just use your imagination) get the chance blame and/or backtrack in regards to what their actions on the field have produced, these days they do in the blink of an eye. Then, on the other hand, you have a guy like Lockette. A guy with what could easily be considered a legitimate beef with NFL or even the game of football in general. It's basic situation where players now use, what I call the "it's not my fault, the game is too (enter reason of choice here against pro football)" stance. Instead, he decides to turn the other cheek, to me that's a real eye opener.

It really just brings me back to the days of old. When guy like Montana could get destroyed and have his career sent to a screaming halt by blindside hit, that comes a couple of steps after the ball was thrown. Or when players would leave the field after a game with more red on their jersey from blood, than green from grass or brown from mud. Was the game safe? Hell no, but I knew it. You knew it. Hell, 10 year old Jessica from down the street, who probably couldn't tell you what a football looked like, even if she was holding it in her hands, knew that football was a dangerous game. Also, You know damn well that every player from high school to the pros was well aware of it. Getting seriously hurt was part of the game of football, it was expected and the other team was going everything in their power to try to make it happen to you. I don't think it was right, not at all, but it's football. Plus, look at it from this perspective, you or I know damn well if we jump into pool full of sharks, then we're probably not walking out on our own... if at all. It's just how football was perceived for the longest time.

My point being, Lockette is acting like a football player or at least what most of grew up thinking a football player acted like. He is getting up and starting over from what most of us would consider a life altering event, even for a pro football player, much less what an everyday regular Joe would think. He's not trying to a blindfold on us, feed us shit, then trying to tell us it's a $50 ribeye. You know, like what the NFL has been doing over the several last years with it's "safety measures". With their meager "attempt(s)" to make a game like football be considered "safe", when we all know, no matter what they do (other than turn it into a game other than football), that it will never be considered safe. The game is what it is, danger is in it's DNA, with people who are basically athletic monsters doing everything in their power to stop each other on each down. People are going to get hurt from playing it, plain and simple. We know this. It's why some of us tune in every weekend (not me personally, but you know that guy, the one who watches NASCAR for the wrecks...). It's just refreshing to see a football player acting like a damn football player. No matter if I like him as a player or not, it's just nice to see these days, a guy who is acting like an actual professional football player. Good for him and I hope he comes back, just because of his attitude towards the game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seymour":3eece652 said:
He did NOT almost die. He "could have" died if he was mis-handled which he wasn't.

Makes for good press and all but anyone under emergency care "could have died" if they are mis handled.

Ya, I get it, and Lockett is a tough dude and this was a tough break that he ended being fortunate with, But jeesh....he NEVER "almost died".

Yeah he just injured some vertebrae and ligaments in his neck. The spine is like.. the least important part of ones body. He should have got up and jogged off on his own power. Probably missed a play or two at the most.

:sarcasm_on:

What an absolutely stupid bleeping post. :lol: :lol:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seymour":28rv1tl4 said:

Would die if someone pulled on his arm is closer to death than I've ever been. Heck, they went on to say that if he had done any of several normal, everyday movements before being put in the brace, he'd have been a goner. Pretty damn touch-n-go status, IMO. How about you stop being a jerk, bro.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ds2czcum said:
I'm actually amazed we havnt has an nfl player die on the field. It will happen someday unfortunately.
Wouldn't surprise me if you were right though I seriously hope you aren't. I was watching the day Tatum paralyzed Stingley and that was bad enough.

sam1313

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":2bnl1flq said:
McG":2bnl1flq said:

I totally agree with this. I thought it was a dirty plan (and one that could easily end in at least a concussion, but obviously worse injuries were possible), and the plan was executed perfectly.