Walter Jones vs Kam Chancellor vs Jermaine Kearse

bbsplitter

Reaction score
What is with the insane double standard regarding the perception of these three gentlemen as far as holding out, statements about moving on, deserving more money... etc etc. I realize that Walter Jones was a better football player then the other two, but as far as on a personal level - people trash on Kearse and Chancellor for things that pale in comparison to some of the things that Walter Jones pulled... What gives?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
bbsplitter":20e48h5e said:
What is with the insane double standard regarding the perception of these three gentlemen as far as holding out, statements about moving on, deserving more money... etc etc. I realize that Walter Jones was a better football player then the other two, but as far as on a personal level - people trash on Kearse and Chancellor for things that pale in comparison to some of the things that Walter Jones pulled... What gives?
Apples and bananas. Walter Jones was franchise-tagged three times in a row. None of his holdouts were technically holdouts, since he had not signed his tenders at the times he was not participating with the team. Completely different story with Chancellor, who was under contract with much more than one year still left on his contract.

Who is trashing on Kearse, and what did he supposedly do that puts him in the discussion with Chancellor?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Chancellor and Jones perhaps have some parallels because they both held out, though Jones was not technically signed to a contract at the time he missed games because he refused to sign his contract tender.

However, I really don't see the comparison to Kearse. He neither held out nor missed any games. He was merely commenting on the likelihood that he would be re-signed by the team.

I think people will eventually forgive Chancellor for missing those games if he does what Jones did, which was to keep his future contract negotiations in-house and to never willingly miss another game while playing another six Pro Bowl/All-Pro seasons.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Agree with what's already been said. Jones was never a holdout. The man wasn't under contract. He was tagged over and over again. He chose not to sign his contract, which has risks, because if he were to get involved in a car wreck or something else injures him, he'd be out the cash. He showed up at some point in each pre season and was ready for every single game that counted in the standings.

Chancellor held out for more than he'd signed for. I understand this from a business stand point, up and until the time the season begins. He let down his team, his teammates and the fans by not being there while under contract.

Kearse was doing what the vast majority of people do, and that's seeing where the money is. He found the contract here to be either the most money, or at least the best fit and chose to stay. Nothing wrong with shopping around when you're free to do so.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":awqqkt8e said:

You must not remember the angst every year when Sir Walter wouldn't report and was home pushing his Escalade. I remember seeing tons of "wuck falter" posts. Walter Jones received the same kind of scrutiny that Kearse or Chancellor or anyone else who doesn't seem to step in line with what we fans deem as acceptable Seahawks behavior for "our" players. I remember reading lots of posts about trading Jones, and that we could find a serviceable LT and not have to put up with his crap.

Walter Jones is Seahawks royalty. He wasn't crowned overnight. He earned it over the course of his play on the field. At the time, his 3 straight years of not coming to a long term deal and yearly franchise tags, doomed him in the eyes of some fans at the time.

Its a good thing fans have a short memory.

kidhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1zfuaqkq said:
bbsplitter":1zfuaqkq said:

You must not remember the angst every year when Sir Walter wouldn't report and was home pushing his Escalade. I remember seeing tons of "wuck falter" posts. Walter Jones received the same kind of scrutiny that Kearse or Chancellor or anyone else who doesn't seem to step in line with what we fans deem as acceptable Seahawks behavior for "our" players. I remember reading lots of posts about trading Jones, and that we could find a serviceable LT and not have to put up with his crap.

Walter Jones is Seahawks royalty. He wasn't crowned overnight. He earned it over the course of his play on the field. At the time, his 3 straight years of not coming to a long term deal and yearly franchise tags, doomed him in the eyes of some fans at the time.

Its a good thing fans have a short memory.

I never understood the people who were against Walter. He never once refused to work when he was being paid (ie under contract), and he never once came in unprepared and needing time to get into "football shape". He was the best football player this team has ever had and showed it week in and week out no matter what his contract status was.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3l6lqh7p said:

1. Walter Jones never missed a game holding out.
2. Walter Jones was the best LT in the game, and played that way each and every game.

So not sure what you mean by "pale in comparison to what Walter pulled?" He held out of training camp, but always came in and dominated never missing a beat, nor missing a game.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lymo7v4 said:
bbsplitter":1lymo7v4 said:

1. Walter Jones never missed a game holding out.
2. Walter Jones was the best LT in the game, and played that way each and every game.

So not sure what you mean by "pale in comparison to what Walter pulled?" He held out of training camp, but always came in and dominated never missing a beat, nor missing a game.

I guess that depends on how you define "holding out." Most sources appear to consider his refusal to sign his tender offer in 2002 to be a holdout.

Walter Jones ends holdout, signs with Hawks
By the Associated Press
KIRKLAND, Wash. — Pro Bowl offensive tackle Walter Jones signed a one-year tender offer for $4.92 million with the Seattle Seahawks on Monday.
Jones, in his sixth NFL season, reported to practice Monday. The contract represents the average salary of the top five players at that position in the NFL.

The 6-foot-5, 308-pound Jones, selected in the first round in 1997 out of Florida State, made the Pro Bowl following the 1999 season.

Jones, who started every game the past four seasons, is eager to rejoin his teammates after the Seahawks lost their first two games.

"I just wanted to come back and help the team get a victory any way I can," Jones said. "That was my only reason for coming back — and I miss the guys."

Seattle designated the 28-year-old Jones as its franchise player after his contract expired last season. The franchise tag prevented him from being a free agent and signing with another team.

Jones is still looking to sign a long-term contract with Seattle. Under league rules, Jones had to sign the tender before the team could formally negotiate a longer deal.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... webjones16

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3cdipkgi said:

Walter Jones had no contract. Kam Chancellor had 3 years left on his. Jermaine Kearse was a FA.

I don't see how any of these things are related to the other.