Cap Space Update

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The NFLPA site shows the Seahawks with about $19.45M in cap space. This number does not take into account any of the new deals for Rubin/Lane/Kearse/Ryan. The Seahawks are still keeping Lynch on the books so that figure it a little misleading.

By my calculations, if Lynch is cut, and accounting for the 4 new contracts, that would put the Seahawks at about $16.8M. We also know the draft picks will reduce that by about $2.2M.

Which leaves the team by my estimate with around $14.6M in available room.

They could easily wait until June 1 to release Lynch, which would add another $2.5M to the 2016 cap dollars.

The only 'big' deal we're still waiting on is Okung, or another LT. They could give a deal with 2016 cap of $6M easily and still have dollars left over to work on deals for Baldwin and maybe Bennett.

Looking over the roster, there really isn't another player who is scheduled to be a UFA in 2017 that we should be too concerned about.

Bottom line: the team has plenty of flexibility to do what they need to do, and still add a few role players.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":10lg3kd0 said:
Hawks will trade Kam Chancellor & their 1st for Joe Thomas.

And Gonzaga will make the final 4 this year.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":2s6z1hmf said:

Why would we want to trade a 1st and Kam for a 32 year old LT? No thank you.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":ayqs28k3 said:
The NFLPA site shows the Seahawks with about $19.45M in cap space. This number does not take into account any of the new deals for Rubin/Lane/Kearse/Ryan. The Seahawks are still keeping Lynch on the books so that figure it a little misleading.

By my calculations, if Lynch is cut, and accounting for the 4 new contracts, that would put the Seahawks at about $16.8M. We also know the draft picks will reduce that by about $2.2M.

They could easily wait until June 1 to release Lynch, which would add another $2.5M to the 2016 cap dollars.

The only 'big' deal we're still waiting on is Okung, or another LT. They could give a deal with 2016 cap of $6M easily and still have dollars left over to work on deals for Baldwin and maybe Bennett.

Looking over the roster, there really isn't another player who is scheduled to be a UFA in 2017 that we should be too concerned about.

Bottom line: the team has plenty of flexibility to do what they need to do, and still add a few role players.

I looked at the list of Seahawk FA's for 2017, and you're right...there are really not a lot of guys on that list that would hurt to lose other than Baldwin and maybe Hauschka. The only real downside here is that unless some of the guys on the list have breakout seasons, we won't be getting any comp picks for 2018. Aside from that, 2017 is looking like an easy offseason...I don't see us losing even one important player, and we'll have $50 million in available cap space. I'm hoping they give both Bennett and Baldwin extensions that are team friendly for 2016. If they can hit it big in the draft the next 2 years, the team is going to look insanely good cap-wise in 2018.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Willyeye":1xhzqydq said:
Hawkstorian":1xhzqydq said:

I looked at the list of Seahawk FA's for 2017, and you're right...there are really not a lot of guys on that list that would hurt to lose other than Baldwin and maybe Hauschka. The only real downside here is that unless some of the guys on the list have breakout seasons, we won't be getting any comp picks for 2018. Aside from that, 2017 is looking like an easy offseason...I don't see us losing even one important player, and we'll have $50 million in available cap space. I'm hoping they give both Bennett and Baldwin extensions that are team friendly for 2016. If they can hit it big in the draft the next 2 years, the team is going to look insanely good cap-wise in 2018.

The cap space in 2018 looks like a lot because they only have 15 people under contract.

If you look at their figure in relational to the rest of the NFL they have the third least cap space in 2018, and that's going to 5 or 6 less players than everyone else at the bottom.

There's nothing wrong that it's part of their strategy, but it's one of the "worst" cap situations in the NFL in '18 for bringing in outsiders.

McGruff

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2xxftcwd said:
Willyeye":2xxftcwd said:
Hawkstorian":2xxftcwd said:

The cap space in 2018 looks like a lot because they only have 15 people under contract.

If you look at their figure in relational to the rest of the NFL they have the third least cap space in 2018, and that's going to 5 or 6 less players than everyone else at the bottom.

There's nothing wrong that it's part of their strategy, but it's one of the "worst" cap situations in the NFL in '18 for bringing in outsiders.

Which is good, because bringing in outsiders isn't something we want to do.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Popeyejones":43eimpb9 said:
Willyeye":43eimpb9 said:
Hawkstorian":43eimpb9 said:

Something for Whiner fans to look forward to . . . the Seahawks' terrrrible cap situation in 2018. :p

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":27u0fx7s said:
RobBaker7714409":27u0fx7s said:

Since we are going with PIPE dreams....are you all going to have a git together there this year during the season?

Willyeye

Reaction score
Popeyejones":301xyh6y said:
Willyeye":301xyh6y said:
Hawkstorian":301xyh6y said:

I don't see how they'll be in bad shape in 2018. They'll have about $78 million in space and still have MOST of their core players already contracted for 2018. In 2017, the only substantial money they'll need to pay is for Baldwin...the rest of the 36 FA's will come relatively cheap for the ones they need to re-sign. Baldwin will probably take the cap down to $70 million. Then, if you look at the list of 10 FA's for 2018, the only must-signs I see are Bennett and Rawls, but Bennett may not be playing that well at 33 years old, so he could be gone too. If Bennett is gone, and Rawls costs them like $8 million in 2018, they'll have $62 million in available cap. I realize it won't work out exactly like that, but the advantage the Seahawks have over the 29 teams that currently have more cap space than the Hawks for 2018, is that most of those teams will have to sign a bunch of expensive FA's and give their core players extensions over the next 2 years...those other teams do not have all of their important players under contract already and their space will not be looking like it does today. The Hawks will have all of their core players still under contract, and even if they're down to like $50 million in space, that'll put them in the middle of the pack, not in the bottom three. I don't see the Hawks going crazy in FA anyway over the next 2 years, and that's why I said a lot of it will hinge on how good their draft picks are in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

CPHawk

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":3dr3go3a said:

That's a ton more than what they wanted a year ago for him. I'd say a second and possible a 4th. No players involved.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
McGruff":1bown9wy said:
Popeyejones":1bown9wy said:
Willyeye":1bown9wy said:
Hawkstorian":1bown9wy said:

Which is good, because bringing in outsiders isn't something we want to do.

High dollar outsiders, yeah, agreed.

The Hawks are at or near the bottom of the league in having free room to bring in high cost outsiders over the next few years, but at or near the top of the league in having already locked up high end players throughout that timespan also.

Largent80

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":35roe1g6 said:

This Rob says hell NO to that deal. We can draft a very good 1st day starter for the o-line in this deep o-lineman draft.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1ol5ueht said:
RobBaker7714409":1ol5ueht said:

This Rob says hell NO to that deal. We can draft a very good 1st day starter for the o-line in this deep o-lineman draft.

Agreed - at some point this team needs to draft a player in the first round and develop them. I love Jimmy Graham but he was not what he hoped he'd be last year. For some reason bringing in the flashy, expensive toy has yet to work for us.

Tical21

Reaction score
Joe Thomas would work for us.

I'm optimistic about the cap. That's 7-8 more than I figured we had. How many players under contract?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MysterMatt":29nzjtcn said:
Hawkstorian":29nzjtcn said:
RobBaker7714409":29nzjtcn said:

Stop teasing. It hurts.
What Matt said.

Thanks for the update 'Storian. As with most everything this FO does, the long term cap situation is looking great. Baldwin will get a new deal soon enough. Bennett may just be angry enough about money to go elsewhere. We shall see.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":17i5pmtx said:
Largent80":17i5pmtx said:
RobBaker7714409":17i5pmtx said:

Agreed - at some point this team needs to draft a player in the first round and develop them. I love Jimmy Graham but he was not what he hoped he'd be last year. For some reason bringing in the flashy, expensive toy has yet to work for us.

It tends not to work more generally, although the Broncos have certainly had recent success with it.

I think it makes *more* sense for a team like the Hawks or Broncos which are already really talented than it does for a team that doesn't have much in place to begin with, but still, it has surprised me. That the Hawks are willing to pay for "final piece" guys (both who haven't panned out) doesn't really trouble me, but that they're willing to give up draft capital to do so has always been more puzzling.

I'd be surprised if they do that again though, as the middle and bottom of their roster has really been thinned out in the last 24 months, and they now need those picks more than ever.

sutz

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ux9aityd said:
Hasselbeck":ux9aityd said:
Largent80":ux9aityd said:
RobBaker7714409":ux9aityd said:

It tends not to work more generally, although the Broncos have certainly had recent success with it.

I think it makes *more* sense for a team like the Hawks or Broncos which are already really talented than it does for a team that doesn't have much in place to begin with, but still, it has surprised me. That the Hawks are willing to pay for "final piece" guys (both who haven't panned out) doesn't really trouble me, but that they're willing to give up draft capital to do so has always been more puzzling.

I'd be surprised if they do that again though, as the middle and bottom of their roster has really been thinned out in the last 24 months, and they now need those picks more than ever.
As for giving up draft capital, that has hurt. But it takes two teams to make a deal and if you really want a guy and think he will help the team, you have to pay what the other team will accept. Harvin was mostly a bust, Graham was a maybe break even deal, and if he doesn't make it back from a serious career threatening injury, might be a bust also. I'm kind of glad there is nobody out there this year to make that kind of a deal over.

I agree, most of our roster holes could be described as depth needs, which end up being critical needs come Nov/Dec and beyond as the injuries pile up. The OL is not necessarily of that type, though. The need there is reaching critical mass.

OTOH just tossing out a blanket "we need to draft position X in the first round" is kind of silly reasoning, too. I'd rather trade back for more 2/3 day picks than reach for a bust that doesn't fit. In Schneider I trust. ;)