J'Marcus Webb signs

saroos

Reaction score
Per Mike Garafalo J'Marcus Webb signed overnight with the Hawks. Started 16 games last year.

Atradees

Reaction score
"Webb was seen being yelled at and bumped by Bears quarterback Jay Cutler after Webb allowed Cutler to get sacked by Clay Matthews" Wikipedia

oh oh

A tackle for most of his career, Webb started 14 games a right guard for Oakland last season before closing out the year at right tackle. Webb was not particularly effective at either spot, but the Seahawks are desperate for help along the offensive line. Webb should compete for a starting job. Mar 15 - 8:23 AM
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Oh great.... He is bad at multiple positions...he should fit right in with most of our Oline.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Raiders-fan friend of mine had this to say this morning via text "He'll add depth. He's not a liability"

Keeping in mind Derek Carr isn't quite as mobile as Wilson, I'd say this sounds at least like a possibility for hope.

Gio

Reaction score
I think he ll add depth too . But aint bad , we have signed few big men. Lets see them on the field before we judge them

pehawk

Reaction score
I love me tackles that can play guard.

I also love dressing in women's lingerie for versatile linemen.

McGruff

Reaction score
Webb and Sowell are good veteran insurance pieces. You don't want to use them, but if you have to they will get you through. I view Webb at a LG/RT for us to push Britt, and Sowell as a RG/LT to push Gilliam and Glowinski.

I think we'll add more young guys to the pile, and Okung is still a (remote) possibility, but all these moves are adding up to Gilliam at Left Tackle to me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
These moves almost announce that Okung is gone. Hope he gets a big contract from someone so the Hawks get a nice comp pick. However, if he does return the team will have a deeper pile to sift through to find the starters.. Sure hope this isn't it for the OLine b/c there are a lot of questions still. I remain patient but still concerned. I can still see the team adding some candidates in the draft early.

It will be very interesting to watch what the OLine looks like come opening day.

Coach Cable certainly has a lot of work to do before a solid OLine appears.

Hope Webb wasn't that expensive.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
These signings don't really change our need to draft 2-3 linemen, but it takes away some pressure to draft them way earlier than they deserve (basically every OL pick in the last 5 years).

As much as most of us want them to draft OL, I don't think anyone wants them to use their first 3 picks on guys that no one has ever heard of.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is a replacement for Bailey. Nothing less, nothing more.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I honestly think that the only thing we can take from these signings is that Pete was telling the truth when he said, "I don’t think we’ve nailed it yet. I think this needs to be a really competitive spot again, and we’re going to work really hard to build it up."

I really don't think we can read anything into the Okung situation yet, these players would likely be brought in either way. We need some vet leadership and some solid competition/ backups going into the year. With no huge glaring holes outside of the lines, I expect to see a trench heavy draft and F/A this year. So far I haven't been disappointed.

- bsd

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":b29i74lt said:
Webb and Sowell are good veteran insurance pieces.

Exactly.

These guys are meant to be baseline journeyman quality guys. Think of them as Britt insurance. We're still going to draft rookie OL. But if they suck -- we don't have to play them.

It's basically a 'We'll be damned if we aren't at least close to average' move.

These guys are not unlike Winston signings. Except cheaper.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":40mk516s said:
This is a replacement for Bailey. Nothing less, nothing more.

This.

Neither of these two OL signings addresses starting LT. Swing T/Gs to replace Bailey. That's it.