Is Anyone Else NOT Impressed w our Offseason Pick ups so far

LegendKiller

Reaction score
I get that we have a huge cap issue, but I feel a lot of our offseason FA signings have been more patch work than decent pick ups. A visit from Shea Mcclellin from the Bears? He's been in the league for 4 years and has greatly under performed as a first round pick. It just seems to me that the FO are going after these players w/ the hopes that one will actually be decent as opposed to going after a guy thats tried and proven. My gut tells me that our o-line issues are not going to really improve this year...

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
WHo would YOU have picked up? Just because you want better players doesn't mean we can afford it. We have an expensive core of players. That means the money left over will be distributed thinly. That also means we are not getting top tier guys in Free Agency. It is hard enough to keep the guys we have. More important for us to build through the draft. We need O-line help the most but we can't afford caviar only canned tuna.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I think it would be a mistake that to assume that the FO is only going after starters.

My expectations for FA were tempered by the salary cap realities. After Harvin and Graham's injury, i'm ok with not making a big splash at this time of year. And we got Lane and Rubin back.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
All the pickups have been prove it one year deals that we can dump if they don't work out. They aren't meant to be the next coming of Walter Jones, but it sure would be nice if one was...

Laloosh

Reaction score
We definitely need some guys to step up into roles and not just be a guy. I don't see how it's a huge cap issue given the level of talent on the team though.

Do you know of a team in the league that's gotten better every year from a talent perspective? Teams can improve even with lesser talent and get worse with more talent. Isn't a given but I wouldn't bet my house on either possibility.

Atradees

Reaction score
We are the team been to two of three superbowls still. I know I am critical of these moves as anyone. Personally, I would have moved the TE Graham already. We are not an offense that can take advantage of his skill set and the injury is a difficult one to recover from. Siliga is a great signing and swapping him out for Mebane is a stroke of genius. Most of these high dollar free agents are cap strapping their respective teams. Thats why they suck and why we are gonna go back to the Superb Owl...

nrayorr

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3pvx9wrx said:
We need O-line help the most but we can't afford caviar only canned tuna.

If we have to go with tuna hopefully we can get solid albacore and not chunk light.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Get back to me after Okung and Penn have made their decisions.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure how the team can move on from Graham when he is injured. If his agent was worth a damn, his salary is guaranteed for injury so cutting him would mean the team is still on the hook for his $9M. I have seen nothing on the webz that says otherwise in regards to Graham.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Atradees"Personally said:
We cannot move on from Graham until he has recovered from his injury and is cleared to play. Or were you suggesting we should have come to an injury settlement within five days of his injury?

- bsd

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Siliga is the type of player I hoped we would get to replace Mebane. Meebs is getting more than Rubin and he's simply not worth that anymore. Siliga is someone with experience who won't be a big drop off and looking at his stats might actually be an improvement, to top that all off he comes at a way lower cost than Mebane. Mebane gets 4.5 APY, while Siliga only costs us 1.4 million this year. Smart signing who will more than likely outplay his contract.

Sowell is a nice pick up to replace Bailey. Just like Bailey he has experience at multiple positions along the line but he seems to have a higher ceiling. If he's only a swing tackle it's just a decent pick up but he could also compete for a starting gig at LT, RT or LG and surprise us all by being great value. So either a good or a great pick up, nothing to complain about here. Same case with Webb actually. At worst a swing tackle with experience and at best decent competetion for a starting gig.

I'm actually happy we're not overpaying for outside free agents.

firebee

Reaction score
Cary Williams, Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham... Don't know why we're not spending big on a namebrand free agent. What could possibly go wrong?

OP
OP
L

LegendKiller

Reaction score
At this point, Graham will be hard to move because his injury is so severe that other teams might be hesitant to give him a shot. The only FA signing that I thought was decent was Siliga. Hopefully we draft well in regards to our O-line and get Okung back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Much needed O and D line depth, AND getting both Lane and Kearse back?

I'd say that's not a bad free agency period so far.

Were you expecting us to over pay for the first wave of free agents like other teams are? Cause that doesn't work out so well in years 2-4. Just wait to hear the Giants crying about cap room in 2018 after the 100M in guaranteed money they just forked out comes home to roost.

drdiags

Reaction score
Well this doesn't state that Jimmy's 2016 contract has any guarantees but I would think cutting him isn't a cut-n-dry option. Not fluent on the CBA, so I am going to go sleep at a Holiday Inn to get my game on:

Jimmy Graham signed a four year, $40 million contract with the New Orleans Saints on July 15, 2014. Graham received a $12 million signing bonus and had his 2014 base salary fully guaranteed, to bring the full guarantee to $13 million. Graham’s 2015 salary and $5 million roster bonus are both guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2015 League Year. In 2017 Graham can earn a $2 million roster bonus if on the roster the 3rd day of the 2017 League Year. Graham was traded to the Seattle Seahawks on March 10, 2015. All terms from 2015 onward carry on to Seattle

http://overthecap.com/player/jimmy-graham/1503/

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The first weeks of free agency is the time when wannabes of the NFL desperately pick at the crumbs that drop from the contenders in a pathetic attempt to appear to be like them.

A team that cannot find and develop and instead relies on other teams for their players can never be successful in the long term. This is why none of the top teams make big splashes in free agency.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Seattle has shown solid decision-making in regards to keeping their own players. Irvin and Sweezy will be missed, but Seattle couldn't compete with those contracts. Brandon Mebane has probably just one decent year left, and San Diego gave him $5.5 million guaranteed. I get why Seattle passed on that.

Seattle kept Jeremy Lane at a relatively decent price, and got Jermaine Kearse to stay on what I think is a bargain deal. Okung is still up in the air, but unless he has a grudge against the FO I wouldn't rule out his return. I think he is just exploring his market right now.

I think the two OL additions and DT Siliga were slight overpays for replacement level players, but I am okay with the moves otherwise.

If Seattle can bring Okung back, even on a 1 year deal, that probably tilts the scales towards this being a positive FA period for Seattle. Shea McClellin would be a nice addition too, if they could get him.