Getting backfield pressure from our DT's

seabowl

Reaction score
After watching the DT's last year what I thought we were sorely missing was pressure up the middle. I think the coaches were banking on Hill but he took a step back. Just curious who will be the guy to play this role and if he's even on the team at this point?

kf3339

Reaction score
This is my issue as well with the D philosophy of PC and company. For whatever reason he wants interior run stuffers that can be rotated with DT's who can rush the passer from the interior. The problem is none of them have been consistently good at that job. Also, it is easy to beat a rotation like that by just going to a hurry up offense.

I don't see it getting any better this season at all. Hope I'm wrong.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I get you see an area that could be improved, but let's not bag too heavily on the philosophy that created not just a good defense but an historically good defense.

Sure, I would like us to get a better interior rush, but not at the expense of surrendering anything else we're doing on defense. Those interior run-stuffers force the opponent to pass into the teeth of our epic secondary, and very few QBs can do that with any kind of success.

Then there's the budget thing. Higher-quality DTs means lower-quality somewhere-else-on-the-team. If we can have this issue and still be the hardest team to score on, then we're probably OK addressing some of our other needs first.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1ks77r46 said:
I get you see an area that could be improved, but let's not bag too heavily on the philosophy that created not just a good defense but an historically good defense.

Sure, I would like us to get a better interior rush, but not at the expense of surrendering anything else we're doing on defense. Those interior run-stuffers force the opponent to pass into the teeth of our epic secondary, and very few QBs can do that with any kind of success.

Then there's the budget thing. Higher-quality DTs means lower-quality somewhere-else-on-the-team. If we can have this issue and still be the hardest team to score on, then we're probably OK addressing some of our other needs first.

Well, to be fair it was largely the players that "created" that historically great D. Sure, the coaching and scheme were big factors too.

But yeah, our investment in the pass rush is edge rushers vs DTs. We can't spend money everywhere.

No doubt, a pocket penetrator would be nice. Hill was a major letdown last season after flashing the season before.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
He'll what's Rocky Bernard up to?

McGruff

Reaction score
kf3339":2opal98n said:
This is my issue as well with the D philosophy of PC and company. For whatever reason he wants interior run stuffers that can be rotated with DT's who can rush the passer from the interior. The problem is none of them have been consistently good at that job. Also, it is easy to beat a rotation like that by just going to a hurry up offense.

I don't see it getting any better this season at all. Hope I'm wrong.

Do everything awesome defensive e tackles are incredibly difficult to find. So most of the time teams have to scheme and rotate down there.

That being said, 8 don't expect them to get better regardless . . . They are the best in the NFL on dfense! Getting better is pretty tough to do.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think we got a solid 3 man rotation in Rubin, Siliga, and Hill. If we can add a talented guy in the early rounds I'd feel really good about our depth.

titan3131

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2w1mtics said:

Your argument is the attitude of a loser. Our philosophy is win forever and always compete. If we accept mediocre to bad interior pass rush we will not win the superbowl.

We had interior pressure and won the sb and every year since our dline was pilliaged we haven't.
Our defense is trending down and not fixing this issue will continue the decline.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
titan3131":2vs8tgli said:
KiwiHawk":2vs8tgli said:

Your argument is the attitude of a loser. Our philosophy is win forever and always compete. If we accept mediocre to bad interior pass rush we will not win the superbowl.

We had interior pressure and won the sb and every year since our dline was pilliaged we haven't.
Our defense is trending down and not fixing this issue will continue the decline.

Some fans just have unreal expectations. The number one scoring defense for the last 4 year is trending down?

McGruff

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":1ue2kn46 said:
titan3131":1ue2kn46 said:
KiwiHawk":1ue2kn46 said:

Some fans just have unreal expectations. The number one scoring defense for the last 4 year is trending down?

We are less #1 than we were last year?

titan3131

Reaction score
Our passing defense was only good because our last half of our schedule was peanuts outside of pittsburg.

We lost to the rams... They swept us.

Our sacks were down, and that was with Bennett's best year of his career.

It was a cool record to get but we really didn't play anyone except Arizona and pitt.

Remember 2012 when we played deal teams? We blew them out of the state. Buffalo ari sf... When we play deal teams that's what I expect.

penihawk

Reaction score
Our defense was far from stellar last year and got lit up a bit by good QB's. The secondary was far from the "LOB" and we had very little to no gut pressure, which is imperative to beat elite passers in the NFL. For all the pissing and moaning about the OL on this forumn there should be as much concern about getting our biggest defensive hole(dt) and sub par individual seasons(secondary) fixed this off season. DT and CB should be addressed early in the draft if the right player is on the board imo.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's embarrassing to see people telling Pete Carroll what he needs to do to improve his defense.

You know, the defense he crafted that has been compared to the historically great defenses of all time.

The defense that has ranked #1 in scoring for four straight years.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Despite the Scary Williams debacle and the Kam Chancellor holdout the team still managed to lead the league in scoring defense. Imagine what this D could accomplish with its top guys playing together from day 1. I'm not too worried about losing Mebane and Irvin. The signing of Jeremy Lane was key and plugging him in full-time at right corner will help get this defense back to 2013 levels.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with fans wanting more pass rush from DTs, i've always had an issue with which DTs they expect pass rush from. I see fans posting that they are disappointed with Mebane's sack numbers and. He's never been a sack guy, but many assume he is because they got so excited the couple times they've seen the belly roll and remember falsely that it was a regular thing. Same goes for Rubin. Those players primary responsibility is to eat space for other players to make plays as well as stop the run.

Where Carrol has looked for pass rush is from the rotational DTs, going way back to players like Jason Jones. Other players in this role have been Michael Bennett (Who also comes off the edge), Clinton McDonald and Jordan Hill. Kevin Williams was initially brought in to help with this, but injuries to Mebane forced him into the base D. He only had so much energy left.

I also have an issue with fans who equate pressure with sacks. It's important to remember they are not the same thing. It's about disruption to force mistakes just as much as it is about tackling the QB.

penihawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2n5zk4xd said:
I've never had an issue with fans wanting more pass rush from DTs, i've always had an issue with which DTs they expect pass rush from. I see fans posting that they are disappointed with Mebane's sack numbers and. He's never been a sack guy, but many assume he is because they got so excited the couple times they've seen the belly roll and remember falsely that it was a regular thing. Same goes for Rubin. Those players primary responsibility is to eat space for other players to make plays as well as stop the run.

Where Carrol has looked for pass rush is from the rotational DTs, going way back to players like Jason Jones. Other players in this role have been Michael Bennett (Who also comes off the edge), Clinton McDonald and Jordan Hill. Kevin Williams was initially brought in to help with this, but injuries to Mebane forced him into the base D. He only had so much energy left.

I also have an issue with fans who equate pressure with sacks. It's important to remember they are not the same thing. It's about disruption to force mistakes just as much as it is about tackling the QB.

Totally agree with this point. Gut pressure is not necessarily sacks for DTs but sacks for the edge rushers and hurries that lead to TOs and getting off the field on 3rd down.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think that they will find someone to fill the LT position, and that for the draft the most important position is DT. Mebane leaves a big hole in that Dline and Rubin can't fill it by himself.

I still want Andrew Billings at 26, and if he's gone, Vernon Butler. Either of those guys are great run stuffers, with the ability to get to the passer.

I don't see anyone in free agency that can fill that spot. It would be nice to find another Clinton McDonald, but I don't see it happening.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":gvzxfnwc said:
goseahawks2012":gvzxfnwc said:
titan3131":gvzxfnwc said:
KiwiHawk":gvzxfnwc said:

We are less #1 than we were last year?

Statistically, yes. That said, the defense went through more changes than it did a year before.

RIght now, the only two guys capable of getting any pressure inside on our roster are Bennett and Hill. Clark has dropped weight so it looks like he's shifting more outside. We have Avril, Clark, Marsh, and are probably adding more on the edge, so that would enable us to slide Bennett inside more on 3rd downs and in Nickle situations.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Seahawks already get great pass rush pressure.

Multifaceted DTs are incredibly far and few between, and also stupidly expensive, whereas really excellent run plugging DTs can be had on the cheap.

Unless they stumble into one in the draft I really don't see a multifaceted DT high on the Seahawks list of priorities any time soon, nor should it be, IMO.

Jville

Reaction score
There is also something to be said for space eaters that can keep linebackers clean .... especially on run downs.