Comp Picks for 2017 so far

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
So, with Mebane, Irvin, Sweezy, and Okung signing elsewhere and the last three with stellar contracts, anyone kinda know the ballpark at where we stand with comp picks?

It's a silver linings thread, so sue me.

(Actually, don't sue me, I'm broke.)

McGruff

Reaction score
Sutz linked to THIS year's comp picks for LAST year's free agent class.

For NEXT year, this is what overthecap.com projects:
Seattle Seahawks
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 4 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 2
Name Rd. Real APY Name Rd. Real APY
Bruce Irvin 4th round $9,000,000
J.R. Sweezy 5th round $6,400,000
Russell Okung 6 $5,000,000 Bradley Sowell 7 $1,000,000
Brandon Mebane 6 $4,500,000 J’Marcus Webb 7 $3,000,000

They project Webb and Sowell cancelling out the picks of Okung and Mebane, but there is some debate about whether Webb and Sowell even count as qualifying free agents.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
sutz":2cc6o9sa said:

He isn't talking about 2016 picks, he's talking about losing our people this year and the picks we may get next year.

McGruff's post was much better than mine. I'll edit this out and go stand in the corner.

McGruff

Reaction score
BullHawk33":1bwujojt said:
sutz":1bwujojt said:

He isn't talking about 2016 picks, he's talking about losing our people this year and the picks we may get next year.

It may lead to a couple of 4ths. I don't know that I would consider Okung's prove it deal a top shelf kind of thing. Irvin's contract could get us something pretty good next year.

Okung's likely won't be k own until after the season when we know if he meets contract escalators and if Denver picks up the option.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
Great. So if Okung wasn't screwing us with false starts, holding, or bones made of butterfinger brittle, he's screwing us by signing backloaded contracts so we don't see a higher comp draft pick.

kearly

Reaction score
Not all signings count for or against compensatory picks. The exceptions are (this is what I've heard on the internet):

-Players who sign back with their previous team (obviously).
-Players who were cut by their previous team.*
-Players who sign league minimum contracts.
-Players who sign on or after (edit) May 12th.
-Players who are coming off a 1 year contract?**
-RFA's who's option was declined (saw this from a Seattle reporter tweet).

*There is a loophole in this rule for teams who decline to pay a roster bonus. This is how New England got a 3rd round pick after declining to pay Revis his $20 million option for 2015.

**Based on my own research I don't think this one is true. For example Dimitri Patterson signed a 1 year, $3.6 million contract with the Browns in 2011 and DID count against their comp picks in 2012.

In reality, the exact rules of who qualifies and who does not isn't fully public knowledge, but odds are high that NFL GMs are privvy to the exact rules. JS is likely aware of what a player will cost in comp picks every time he makes a signing.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kearly":bzkt05gv said:
Not all signings count for or against compensatory picks. The exceptions are (this is what I've heard on the internet):

-Players who sign back with their previous team (obviously).
-Players who were cut by their previous team.*
-Players who sign league minimum contracts.
-Players who sign on or after June 1st.
-Players who are coming off a 1 year contract.
-RFA's who's option was declined.

*There is a loophole in this rule for teams who decline to pay a roster bonus. This is how New England got a 3rd round pick after declining to pay Revis his $20 million option for 2015.

So, if the internet is correct, Seattle would not lose picks for Sowell or Webb. I tend to think this is the case, since JS is so paranoid about comp picks that I doubt he would cost himself two of them, especially when he could have probably signed comparable players after June 1st and avoided the penalty.

Those all seem to be the case and I suspect is why we targeted those specific players. Also the June 1st cutoff has moved to May 12th.

June 1 had continued significance for another reason. After June 1, unrestricted free agents signed by other teams don’t count toward the compensatory draft-pick formula. Starting this year, that date will move from June 1 to May 12, according to the league office.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/june-1-free-agency-deadline-moved-to-may-12/

Marlin Man

Reaction score
So Okung taking a one year "with option for 4 more" he has basically screwed us out of a third rounder? (the 4 years at option come in around 12 myn per- which would be 3rd rounder comp level)

Am I getting this right?

M.M.

McGruff

Reaction score
Marlin Man":2fz4zfrp said:
So Okung taking a one year "with option for 4 more" he has basically screwed us out of a third rounder? (the 4 years at option come in around 12 myn per- which would be 3rd rounder comp level)

Am I getting this right?

M.M.

Yes and no. It all depends on how Okung performs and what the Broncos do with the option.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
So if the broncos pick up Okung's option, we'll likely end up with 3rd, 4th, and maybe a 5th. If Okung is cut or the broncos don't pick up the option, then it's a 4th and 5th (potential 6th).

Looking at our remaining FAs, I think the only one that might get a sniff from other teams is TJack. Honestly, I wouldn't mind drafting a Russ backup in round 5-7 to guarantee us 3 comp picks.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":26mdqcbv said:
**Based on my own research I don't think this one is true. For example Dimitri Patterson signed a 1 year, $3.6 million contract with the Browns in 2011 and DID count against their comp picks in 2012..

But did he count against the team they signed him from?

It makes sense that a player leaves after a year counts against their comp picks but also makes sense if you sign someone for a year it doesn't count against your comp picks

EDIT: answered my own question -- looks like it counted

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/2 ... /303269960