• Ryan

Votes: 67 93.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I would have much rather kept Gresham and let Ryan walk.

The difference between the best punter and the worst punter in the league is like 5 yards. The difference between a good snapper and bad is success or complete disaster.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ryan could also play linebacker in a pinch.

Grehsam? Not so much.

I'd take Clint, though, just cause I like him more.

sutz

Reaction score
Ryan is also the holder on FGs. I'll keep him.

Would like to keep all three, really, but apparently that can't happen.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Yeah Ryan for sure. One of the best punters in the league, a really consistent punter and just a great player to have in general. I'm sad we lost Gresham but I value punters higher than long snappers.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Under what scenario was this an either/or?

The team dumped Gresham for reasons we don't really know. It wasn't money, his cost was minimal.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if they did not already have a plan/player to either resign Gresham or draft an already identified player.

ivotuk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2dlyfl6l said:

The difference between the best punter and the worst punter in the league is like 5 yards. The difference between a good snapper and bad is success or complete disaster.

I'm with you. Ryan is on the decline yet they give him 4 years, and cut our long snapper.

Remember how we won the Vikings playoff game? What if that were to happen to us because of a poor snap?

We've used up our luck with the Room hold debacle, and the Minnesota miss.

What most people don't know it's that Gresham's snaps but Jon Ryan's hands with the laces in the exact same place every time! A holder could set a Clint Gresham snap perfectly every time with a blind fold on! Extremely important in inclement weather!

Now what city likely has the worst weather for ball control?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I can't really believe this is a serious question.

Ryan is more important to the team than Gresham. I'm not dissing Gresham though b/c he's a good reliable long snapper but with the cap squeeze he may have priced himself out of his job as it can be done effectively by another player for a lower cost.

Some of us here may not be aware that Sowell is a capable LS besides being an OLineman, maybe the additional value of having Sowell on the team is that the position can be filled by him leaving an open roster slot? I liked Gresham too and thought he was good team guy but NFL is always not for long when you are on the edge of the roster.

Ryan has been a reliable and effective punter for his time here even though he had a down year last season in terms of net yards/punt. i think it can be fairly argued the coverage teams regressed last season and the down year was more on that part of the punting game as Ryan still kicked a lot of long punts.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ai7x1q2 said:

Hmm, so let me try and understand where you're coming from.
John Schneider has a constant interface with Pete Carroll & the Coaching staff, right?
With that presumption, it's obvious that the guys in the know, have decided which of the two were more important to keep, and according to the amount that was given to Ryan, there was no question in the minds of the experts.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1lixvbzn said:
JSeahawks":1lixvbzn said:

Hmm, so let me try and understand where you're coming from.
John Schneider has a constant interface with Pete Carroll & the Coaching staff, right?
With that presumption, it's obvious that the guys in the know, have decided which of the two were more important to keep, and according to the amount that was given to Ryan, there was no question in the minds of the experts.

So were not allowed to have our own opinions?

pmedic920

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3smlekda said:

IMHO, punt distance is not the most important thing.
#9 is good/GREAT at situational punting.
To be honest, he may not be the best but because of the way he fits, I wouldn't want to trade him for any punter playing right now.

I really do not like that we let #49 go but if it came down to one or the other, I'm keeping #9.

canfan

Reaction score
ivotuk":3mrvsot3 said:
JSeahawks":3mrvsot3 said:

I'm with you. Ryan is on the decline yet they give him 4 years, and cut our long snapper.

Remember how we won the Vikings playoff game? What if that were to happen to us because of a poor snap?

We've used up our luck with the Room hold debacle, and the Minnesota miss.

What most people don't know it's that Gresham's snaps but Jon Ryan's hands with the laces in the exact same place every time! A holder could set a Clint Gresham snap perfectly every time with a blind fold on! Extremely important in inclement weather!

Now what city likely has the worst weather for ball control?

But weren't we in a position to lose the playoff game in Minnesota because of a bad snap during a punt leading to a Vikings field goal? The argument can be made that Ryan shouldn't have tried to run it, but you could also argue the bad snap was what caused the turnover.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Ryan and it isn't even close. I don't measure the success of a punter simply by their average distance. A punter who has more short fields to kick into will, of necessity, have a lower average yardage. A punter with a slower coverage team should have shorter kicks with more hang time. Ryan does a great job of pinning teams deep and punting within our system. He rarely outkicks the coverage. He is tough as nails for a punter and isn't hesitant to tackle when necessary (even though he is pretty awful at it).

Gresham is a great long snapper. Wish we could find a secondary role for him on the line so we could keep him, but we need the roster spot. His release is about the roster spot, not the money IMHO. Besides, if he isn't picked up by another team, there is a reasonable chance he is back on the team after the pre-season ends.

-bsd