NET Temp Time...

How are you feeling thus far with the moves the Seahawks have made?

• Fantastic. I couldn't be more excited.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Not bad. Could be better, could be worse.

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • Meh. Wake me when it's the draft.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • Not so good. I feel like we are treading water.

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Terrible. I feel the team is regressing before my eyes.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other (Read my comments)

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How are you feeling thus far with the moves the Seahawks have made?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
As with most other things, knowing the context(s) is important in forming an opinion. In this case, we have precious little cap room, least in the league IIRC, so there's not a helluva lot we could have done in terms of shopping for big name players had the Hawks been so inclined. Given the fiscal restraints, I think we've done alright.

Atradees

Reaction score
I picked other; read my comments...

My likes.....

Happy we didnt commit large dollars to Okung and Sweezy.

Good we landed a couple free agent Olineman.

Sealer Siliga could be good for awhile; think he will be a upgrade from an older Mebane.

Mike Morgan will be fine. He is a playmaker. 9.25M for a guy I thought was just OK bye Seahawks standards is too much.

Did we get better? No......addition by subtraction in some respects. We are kinda the same for the the moment.

A telling story will unfold when we begin to replace the high end defensive contracts.

Two of the guys we paid are not happy with their contracts already.

Will Clark step up more in the coming year?

What is the plan going forward? The jury is still out.

I want a top ranked player in the draft. OT or Center. No supa cuteness....

chris98251

Reaction score
Judging at this point is difficult, the DYNAMIC DUO must have a plan in place, if that plan works out I am sure we all will be happy, our biggest holes and issues was on the O line as everyone is aware, JS and PC said they were going to address and fix it. We are seeing the changes but not the complete picture as of yet. The draft is deep in O line and D line but not a sensational skill position draft. I think that falls into the strength of what our team is looking for. Many teams may reach on skill players allowing more Line guys to drop to us and filling our needs.

The real question is can we assemble them and get them playing together as a unit before game 9 of the regular season this year.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I feel like I am not going to know how I feel until we fast forward to September (and on) to see how this particular roster recipe comes out of the oven, but right now I am a little "underwhelmed".

I understand the decisions being made due to cap economics. Got it. I also understand they are "trying" to address the O line. We will see what happens in the draft with that as well.

The reality is, we have sunk costs at QB, TE, DE, MLB, and 3/4s of our secondary. That's a huge chunk of the roster space.

I am confident the schedule makers will find a way to stick it to us as always. Perhaps we will open at home this season, as the Mariners are on the road on September 11th and they usually schedule around the M's in September as the MLB regular season winds up.

My biggest concern outside of the OL right now is injury recovery: Graham and Rawls. We need those two guys ready to rock come September.

Rocket

Reaction score
Sadly, I'm happy that Russell Okung the agent encouraged Left Tackle Okung to go a MileHi.
I'm sad for Russell for sure, but we needed new non-fragile blood in that position.

Pray for the other Russ as he will be running as usual.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I think the FO did a solid job in FA. We kept the people we had to keep, didn't overpay for anyone and brought in some guys to add competition at barren positions.

kearly

Reaction score
This free agency period has not gone as well as hoped, but I would say it makes very little difference on my outlook for the 2016 season.

The offense dominated at historic levels down the stretch despite having an atrocious OL. And by the way, they are hardly the first elite offense to do that.

The defense took a step back, but many of the issues that hit the team were either short term or have already been addressed. Towards the end of the year the defense started to look like themselves again.

Teams that win passer rating differential tend to make deep playoff runs and win SBs. I expect Seattle to destroy the league in passer rating differential in 2016.

As far as the moves JS did and didn't make, I have to commend him for sticking to his guns even when it forces tough decisions. The difference between a great GM and a joke GM is how disciplined they are with money, and that is often proven more in barren offseasons than blockbuster ones.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I hate 'temperature' readings at this point in time. Frankly, this team does not do thing the 'normal' way, and what we have now won't look at all like what we'll have by the end of training camp. That being said, my biggest concern is not the O-line, but the hole left in the linebacker corp from Irvin's departure. I think that will be pretty significant, and my hope is it's addressed in the draft.

What I'm more concerned about is how much some teams around us 'may' have improved. The Cardinals are going all in and with Palmer aging, are seeing their window close rapidly. Even the Rams may have improved some, tho QB still seems a weak spot for them.

All in all, I don't think we'll be as dominant on the defensive side of the ball as we've seen the last few years. We'll need some people who haven't been relied on previously to suddenly turn in to reliable contributors. Many many 'if's' this year, too many to be comfortable with. But, as I said earlier, too early in the year to worry at this point.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I agree that Schneider has been disciplined and has done the right thing by not chasing high-priced FA's and letting a few of our favs go. We can't keep everyone, sadly, and this way we are looking good cap-wise next year and beyond. Oh, and I'm glad we haven't risked more draft capital as we have the past few years. There's a time to pull that trigger, but I'm glad Schneider hasn't done anything crazy.

So as far as temp, it's hard to say right now. I know we will be competitive, and I actually think we have better pieces for a competent OL (at least relative to last year). Offensively, I think we are pretty good if we get LT sorted. My concern is really D, and the very real possibility that we won't be quite so good as years past. UNLESS, that is, some of our young guys take a big next step. I'm looking at you, Marsh, Clark, Simon, Lane, and Hill! And KPL, others!

It's sort of a wait and see situation, and let's not forget the nine draft choices this year.

drdiags

Reaction score
Nothing shocked me so far. I know each year folks think there will be major activity in FA but looking at the cap and the players under contract, I wasn't expecting much to happen. I figured the team would lose Okung and Irvin. Was thinking Sweezy could be back since he was a Cable fav, but the free market said he was worth more than the team was willing to pay.

Figured Kearse was gone and that Lane would stay. Was kind of surprised to see Kearse back but it appears his market was not as hot as he imagined or he let emotion get involved instead of taking the Bears offer he let compassion with local kids rule his decision. In hindsight, it turns out this should be beneficial to the Seahawks.

OL is a black-hole and Webb/Sowell just seem like patches. But that is how the team has opted to handle the cap is by rotating through low-cost players in the OL so they can pay their defensive players. Since I love a strong defense, I cannot be a hypocrite and get bummed that they aren't blowing the bank on named OL types in trades or FA.

Willyeye

Reaction score
kearly":k2e66ywg said:
This free agency period has not gone as well as hoped, but I would say it makes very little difference on my outlook for the 2016 season.

The offense dominated at historic levels down the stretch despite having an atrocious OL. And by the way, they are hardly the first elite offense to do that.

The defense took a step back, but many of the issues that hit the team were either short term or have already been addressed. Towards the end of the year the defense started to look like themselves again.

Teams that win passer rating differential tend to make deep playoff runs and win SBs. I expect Seattle to destroy the league in passer rating differential in 2016.

As far as the moves JS did and didn't make, I have to commend him for sticking to his guns even when it forces tough decisions. The difference between a great GM and a joke GM is how disciplined they are with money, and that is often proven more in barren offseasons than blockbuster ones.

I agree about passer rating differential...the thing is, I think the schedule will be a little more condusive to meeting that goal.
I think there will only be 4 games that will be tough for our secondary...the Cards x 2...the Pats...the Panthers...and just maybe the Packers. That will leave around 12 games in which our D should dominate the opposition.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1jwk0ibb said:
I hate 'temperature' readings at this point in time.

SO sorry big guy! :roll:

:p

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":17r7fbyj said:
Jazzhawk":17r7fbyj said:
I hate 'temperature' readings at this point in time.

SO sorry big guy! :roll:

:p
LOLOL....no worries. It's just that so much will change in the next few months.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I'm good. I know we don't have jack for FA spending.
For me Rubin and Lane were the 2 highest priorities and since those were met I'm happy.
I don't see the D falling off as some do because we are still fairly young there. We lost 2 starters in Mebane and Irvin. Mebane might already be replace by the signing of the DT last week and a starting SAM backer might not be too tough for Pete to find in the draft.
The OL will continue to be a carousel but that is the hand we are dealt.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Wake me when it's the draft. That's what got us this far, building through the draft