Random Cap Facts

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Letting Mebane and Irvin walk helped our average age drop a bit. Plus Fred Jackson is a free agent. His age skewed our average quite a bit too.

Looking down the list...Saints still have $31m in dead money. :shock:

And the 49ers still have $51m in cap space!?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I believe it but where does it say we have the youngest roster?

Edit - I see it now. Seahawks are the youngest (including Marshawn Lynch), followed by Green Bay and then the Rams.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3kimpnm7 said:
Letting Mebane and Irvin walk helped our average age drop a bit. Plus Fred Jackson is a free agent. His age skewed our average quite a bit too.

The Niners have done nearly nothing this offseason. I've got a friend who is a big 9ers fan and he's livid.

But honestly, if I were running a team I'd do the same thing. This FA class was awful as far as quality and bang for the buck. Bankroll it and wait for next season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
McGruff":31ocafxv said:
HawkFan72":31ocafxv said:

The Niners have done nearly nothing this offseason. I've got a friend who is a big 9ers fan and he's livid.

I know, it's crazy! I had not paid much attention to their cap space and just assumed they weren't doing anything because they didn't have much left. They have been sitting on their hands doing nothing.

I'm so glad JS tries to max out his budget every year to make the team the best it can be. Some moves turn out to be mistakes, but I'd rather have a GM who tried than one who sat by with lots of cap room and didn't attempt to fix the roster.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If I'm reading it right the 2 million figure is for the top 51 + all draft picks. Some draft picks aren't even going to make the teams, some might replace more expensive players and at the very least all except the first rounder don't cost that much more than the vet minimum.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3dj532ck said:
If I'm reading it right the 2 million figure is for the top 51 + all draft picks. Some draft picks aren't even going to make the teams, some might replace more expensive players and at the very least all except the first rounder don't cost that much more than the vet minimum.

You are right in that draft picks on the top 51 will push veterans off the back end of the roster.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
McGruff":3ixv5wiz said:
HawkFan72":3ixv5wiz said:

But honestly, if I were running a team I'd do the same thing. This FA class was awful as far as quality and bang for the buck. Bankroll it and wait for next season.

They are not allowed to bankroll it. The NFL has a minimum cash spending of 89% of their salary cap - http://www.lawinsport.com/sports/item/an-introductory-guide-to-the-nfl-s-salary-cap?category_id=152. If there is still $51M left, then the 49ers have not met this minimum cash spending rule currently but they have until Sept 15 to do so.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawkfan68":uftwu1b1 said:
McGruff":uftwu1b1 said:
HawkFan72":uftwu1b1 said:

They are not allowed to bankroll it. The NFL has a minimum cash spending of 89% of their salary cap - http://www.lawinsport.com/sports/item/an-introductory-guide-to-the-nfl-s-salary-cap?category_id=152. If there is still $51M left, then the 49ers have not met this minimum cash spending rule currently but they have until Sept 15 to do so.

Yes, but that is a rolling average of 3 years. So if they were close to being over the cap at least one of those years, they're likely close to the spending floor.

drdiags

Reaction score
Looks like the minimum is over two 4 year periods (from the linked article earlier in this thread):

The League also sets a minimum salary spend, which applies not annually, but to each of the four-year periods of the current CBA, from 2013 – 2016 and 2017 – 2020.

The "Guaranteed League-Wide Cash Spending" provision demands that for each of those periods, at least 95% of the salary cap must be spent across the League. As well as this guaranteed League-wide spending, for each of the same four-year periods, each team must also individually spend at least 89% of their team salary cap for that period.

The "Minimum Team Cash Spending" provision states that where a team fails to spend 89% of its Cap over a four-year period, any shortfall shall be paid on or before the next September 15 by the team who fell short. Payment is made directly to any players who were on the team roster at any time during those four years, subject to reasonable allocation instructions from the NFL Player's Association (NFLPA).

Once teams have met their obligations to spend 89%, any remaining shortfall up to the 95% threshold becomes the responsibility of the League, who shall pay the shortfall directly to the players who were on a Club roster at any time during the seasons, again subject to reasonable allocation instructions from the NFLPA.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Stupid lawyers and politicians can't just make it an easy yearly target. Got to make it complicated.