John Schneider lays out projected offensive line

hawknation2016

Reaction score
First things first, as relayed by Bob Condotta and Shiel Kapadia, the Seahawks plan for the offensive line -- if the season started today -- includes a competition between Garry Gilliam and Bradley Sowell for the left tackle spot. With Gilliam the favorite there after starting at right tackle all of last year, recently signed tackle J'Marcus Webb will get a shot at the right tackle spot. Filling in for the departed J.R. Sweezy at right guard, we'd see second-year pro Mark Glowinski.

That would mean Seattle's starting line, as of today, would be:

LT Garry Gilliam
LG Justin Britt
C Patrick Lewis
RG Mark Glowinski
RT J'Marcus Webb

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/3/22/112 ... ruce-irvin

Basis4day

Reaction score
Throwdown":1kd3trfd said:
What's Russell's life insurance plan looking like?

Similar to most Qb's who don't play in Dallas or Oakland.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd definitely love to see Soko beat out Britt, but otherwise I like it.

This is all just projection based on right now though. If we draft in the first 4 rounds this will change and could change even with later picks and UDFAs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like it too. I think this would be 5 guys that could possibly play all 16 games. How weird would that be?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
jdemps":2k1yix69 said:
What's the over/under on OL we draft? I'd put it the line at 2.5. Interesting to see if Poole or Sokoli push for playing time this year as well.

Maybe I should do a poll.
Poole is another player I thought has a chance to win a job. He played pretty well at RT in the preseason.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
hawknation2016":21o3wywx said:
First things first, as relayed by Bob Condotta and Shiel Kapadia, the Seahawks plan for the offensive line -- if the season started today -- includes a competition between Garry Gilliam and Bradley Sowell for the left tackle spot. With Gilliam the favorite there after starting at right tackle all of last year, recently signed tackle J'Marcus Webb will get a shot at the right tackle spot. Filling in for the departed J.R. Sweezy at right guard, we'd see second-year pro Mark Glowinski.

That would mean Seattle's starting line, as of today, would be:

LT Garry Gilliam
LG Justin Britt
C Patrick Lewis
RG Mark Glowinski
RT J'Marcus Webb

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/3/22/112 ... ruce-irvin
Holy crap that's a bad line up! I sure hope the draft brings better options.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Wow that is grim. I really hope there is some kind of way we look at new talent coming into the NFL and maybe seeing if we could pick some of these players. Also I wish there was some kind of way of trading existing players between teams as that might be useful. Maybe we could have these players fight for their places during some kind of off season and some practice games? Currently it just seems so futile and we probably shouldn't even bother competing next season.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ Could trade the #26 pick in this draft for the #24 pick in last year's draft, DJ Humphries. I'm sure the Cards would HAPPILY oblige

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Does anyone else besides me think that just because one player who was new at a position last year might IMPROVE next year or that all players never get better. Everyone looks at the line and says well they sucked last year get rid of them. I guess everyone should be pro bowl ready out of the draft or they are not worthy. I personally do not have knowledge of what makes a good offensive lineman so I will leave that up to those who do. And IMHO few here actually do.

Jville

Reaction score
I see no surprises with that suggested lineup. They reboot every year with a run oriented offensive line. And then adjust from there if necessary.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/712409637757313024[/tweet]

BelgianHawk

Reaction score
What's the general opinion on Sokoli like?

He's had one season to adjust now. Can they afford to give him another one just based on the athletic potential or does he need to be able to actually contribute next season to stay on the roster?

crosfam

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":15bp9fjv said:
Does anyone else besides me think that just because one player who was new at a position last year might IMPROVE next year or that all players never get better. Everyone looks at the line and says well they sucked last year get rid of them. I guess everyone should be pro bowl ready out of the draft or they are not worthy. I personally do not have knowledge of what makes a good offensive lineman so I will leave that up to those who do. And IMHO few here actually do.

That is the point folks do not see. This is a young OL with upside (and significant playoff experience). I think Gilliam could be great, Britt and Lewis serviceable. Glowinski will have growing pains but could be very good. And Webb, is the wildcard.

Right now, everyone but maybe the Cowboys is dying to improve the line.

I see two draft picks, maybe 3 if we get another project in the 7th. I doubt one will be a first rounder, but maybe. They will compete to start, and most likely be back-ups this year. Probably a RT/LT and a C/OG flex type.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Basis4day":2sp75uph said:
Throwdown":2sp75uph said:
What's Russell's life insurance plan looking like?

Similar to most Qb's who don't play in Dallas or Oakland.
Dallas doesn't do a good job of protecting Romo, as he is always out with clavicle fractures from being sacked.