Carroll on Seahawks' offensive line: 'We're in good shape"

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We're in good shape in the sense that our QB is the most elusive in the league anyway, and his OC has finally figured out a passing scheme that doesn't rely on five seconds of solid protection every down.

I dunno. I think Pete had to find a place on the team to suffer because of financial priorities, and he picked the OL.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Don't have any problem with it. They're going to take OLineman in the draft.

Everything is relative. Not like there are numerous world beating O-Lines out there.

Reaction score
And what exactly do you want him to say? "Yeah we totally screwed up and our O line is terrible. We are in total rebuild mode."
Thats Pete and I love his optimism. Maybe we will be ok I don't know. I know we have had an incredible run and I want to the good times to continue!

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think they saw the writing on the wall about chop blocks being done away with and planned to have guys that were better on their feet in in time for the beginning of the season. The Seahawks front office is a LOT further ahead in their thinking than any of us could ever hope to be.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think that just means he likes the personnel they now have in terms of the competition for the spots. He may also be including draft plans in his thoughts, but he won't say that for obvious reasons.

sc85sis

Reaction score
By the way, I've been told by someone in a position to know that the new rule about chop blocks is basically just further clarifying rather than any wholesale change.

McGruff

Reaction score
rideaducati":38981mz3 said:
I think they saw the writing on the wall about chop blocks being done away with and planned to have guys that were better on their feet in in time for the beginning of the season. The Seahawks front office is a LOT further ahead in their thinking than any of us could ever hope to be.

I believe that this is true.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
PC is in good shape

he doesn't have to try to throw passes behind the worst offensive line in the NFL

sutz

Reaction score
This just reaffirms what I always thought. They have a plan moving forward. Yes, the losses hurt a bit, and it might take some time to fully recover, but they have players in place that they think can grow into the positions and do the job. They're not just standing around wringing their hands because we lost a couple of OL in FA, and they're not desperately trying to sign every top FA OL prospect in the league, either.

It looks to me like this year's losses on OL have been planned for for some time. Relax, Pete & John got this. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
30 days or so before draft, what do you expect him to say. Were going after a Tackle and a Guard or Center with our first picks and are willing to trade up to get who we want?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I expect Pete to say or believe no different. He and John have a plan. How that plan pans out is yet to be seen.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm apparently one of the few that are still optimistic about the line. Gilliam grew into a fine tackle last year and Glowinski looked really solid in his one start. It wouldn't surprise me if they were actually upgrades over injury riddled Okung and penalty machine Sweezy. Lewis is decent. That's all there is to it, could use an upgrade but he's not a liability either. Webb is a bit of a question mark at this point. The FO obviously likes him enough to give him the biggest contract out of our entire offensive line though.

The biggest issue is still Britt. Pete talked about him improving but I don't see it, I think Pete himself knows fully well we're going to draft someone to replace him or at the very least give him some solid competition.

Remember that last year's early struggles were mostly caused by Nowak being the center and overall communication issues. Once Lewis replaced him we still didn't have a strong Oline but it at least wasn't horrible anymore. I fully expect a serviceable line with the potential to grow into a pretty solid one once Gilliam, Glow and our upcoming draft picks mature into their role once the season progresses.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
coorslighthawk":3no9izrs said:
And what exactly do you want him to say? "Yeah we totally screwed up and our O line is terrible. We are in total rebuild mode."
Thats Pete and I love his optimism. Maybe we will be ok I don't know. I know we have had an incredible run and I want to the good times to continue!
True, but he did choose to remark about Britt's pass pro issues. Good that he's not letting Cable and Britt off the hook for that.