Is Marshawn costing Bennett a new deal?

HawkGA

Reaction score
This thought occurred to me reading about Moore's column about Bennett deserving a new deal (yes, I have two "about"'s in that sentence because I didn't actually read the column, only the blurb on ESPN's Seahawks Blog about it).

Marshawn is tying up money as he delays turning in his retirement papers so that restricts the Seahawks a bit financially from doing a new deal. But more importantly, are his antics (maybe not the right word, but whatever) making the Seahawks think twice about the exception they made to their renegotiation strategy?

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":y8glnyps said:
This thought occurred to me reading about Moore's column about Bennett deserving a new deal (yes, I have two "about"'s in that sentence because I didn't actually read the column, only the blurb on ESPN's Seahawks Blog about it).

Marshawn is tying up money as he delays turning in his retirement papers so that restricts the Seahawks a bit financially from doing a new deal. But more importantly, are his antics (maybe not the right word, but whatever) making the Seahawks think twice about the exception they made to their renegotiation strategy?

I think the Lynch retirement papers story is being blown out of proportion. John Clayton doesn't seem that bothered by it. I'd trust him more than Mike Florio and definitely more than Jim Moore (Who i love as pure entertainment).

It's still unclear if the FO would prefer Lynch delay official retirement until June 1 when they can split the difference on the remaining cap hit this coming season and the one after.

And they renegotiated Clemmons deal in the 2012 off-season with a year remaining on his deal. Lynch wasn't the first. Lynch also had the threat of retirement at the time. Bennett isn't calling it quits if he doesn't get a new deal.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
For all we know, the Seahawks asked Lynch to wait until June 1st to file his paperwork. Not worth worrying about it.

Chapow

Reaction score
Basis4day":25jkx044 said:
It's still unclear if the FO would prefer Lynch delay official retirement until June 1 when they can split the difference on the remaining cap hit this coming season and the one after.

Does anybody really think Lynch gives a shit what our front office would or wouldn't prefer?

naholmes

Reaction score
Chapow":16jnutfk said:
Basis4day":16jnutfk said:

Does anybody really think Lynch gives a shit what our front office would or wouldn't prefer?
Yes, he has 5 million reasons to give a shit.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
naholmes":14za6xm6 said:
Chapow":14za6xm6 said:
Basis4day":14za6xm6 said:

I don't think they can go after that money if he doesn't officially "retire," not that they would anyway.

So, I don't think that will really influence anything he does. The team can't touch him if he doesn't retire, and they won't touch him if he does. They will just be forced to cut him, which may be what everyone's agreed to anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't talked to John or Pete in months (or years?).

OkieHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":18krmxnc said:
naholmes":18krmxnc said:
Chapow":18krmxnc said:
Basis4day":18krmxnc said:

I don't think they can go after that money if he doesn't officially "retire," not that they would anyway. So, I don't think that will really influence anything he does. The team can't touch him if he doesn't retire, and they won't touch him if he does.

IIRC they are waiting simply due to the cap hit. If he were to already retire it would cost more in cap space than if they waited until June 1.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1wctz7vz said:
IIRC they are waiting simply due to the cap hit. If he were to already retire it would cost more in cap space than if they waited until June 1.

Yeah, they will save more on cap this year by waiting post-June 1 to cut him. So, it is reasonable to assume this is all very deliberate and intentional on the front office's part.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1rymu1lk said:
OkieHawk":1rymu1lk said:

Yeah, they will save more on cap this year by waiting post-June 1 to cut him. So, it is reasonable to assume this is all very deliberate and intentional on the front office's part.

Yep. Well, and a helpful Lynch, because he could have said no.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
DavidSeven":268aywsr said:
OkieHawk":268aywsr said:

Yep, these decisions are usually driven about money.....more for me, less for you.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":32nzv2os said:
OkieHawk":32nzv2os said:

By splitting it, they can take a 2.5 million hit this year and next year. You could literally take that 2.5 million, give 1.5 of it to Bennett, and set up the other million in incentives for him. 2.5 million is a hell of a pay raise and it would make Bennett happier, and all at no cost.

endzorn

Reaction score
If this was about June 1st cuts then it could happen at any time and be designated as such. That rule was changed a couple years ago to give teams the cap maneuver they wanted and give vets an opportunity to hit free agency when the money is available. I think this hasn't been made simply because Seattle can do it any time they want and it has the same effect against the cap.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":3l47skly said:
DavidSeven":3l47skly said:
OkieHawk":3l47skly said:

By splitting it, they can take a 2.5 million hit this year and next year. You could literally take that 2.5 million, give 1.5 of it to Bennett, and set up the other million in incentives for him. 2.5 million is a hell of a pay raise and it would make Bennett happier, and all at no cost.

Something tells me that 1.5 guaranteed next year isn't enough to end all Bennett's issues with his contract to the point that he would play it out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
endzorn":1cn4uf8w said:
If this was about June 1st cuts then it could happen at any time and be designated as such. That rule was changed a couple years ago to give teams the cap maneuver they wanted and give vets an opportunity to hit free agency when the money is available. I think this hasn't been made simply because Seattle can do it any time they want and it has the same effect against the cap.

But this isn't a cut situation. This is a retirement situation. I don't think they work the same way. I don't think you can designate a retirement as a "June 1st Retirement".

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":2vy7pv30 said:
Hawks46":2vy7pv30 said:
DavidSeven":2vy7pv30 said:
OkieHawk":2vy7pv30 said:

Something tells me that 1.5 guaranteed next year isn't enough to end all Bennett's issues with his contract to the point that he would play it out.

When when players with half his skilled are getting paid twice his money, 1,5 million is nothing.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
DavidSeven":13ar4bg2 said:
naholmes":13ar4bg2 said:
Chapow":13ar4bg2 said:
Basis4day":13ar4bg2 said:

I don't think they can go after that money if he doesn't officially "retire," not that they would anyway.

So, I don't think that will really influence anything he does. The team can't touch him if he doesn't retire, and they won't touch him if he does. They will just be forced to cut him, which may be what everyone's agreed to anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't talked to John or Pete in months (or years?).

I love the guy for what he's done for the team. Hate the way he acts like a horse's ass to a front office that has bended over backwards for him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No.

Remember we extended players pretty much on the eve of TC.

From a timing perspective, it makes sense to wait until July. We have signed all the draft picks and have a better idea of how much is left over. At that point, you know your dead money hit, all post June 1 transactions made. At that point, you reserve your IR replacement stash and then figure out who gets what bump.

The Lynch retirement will fall into that post June 1 calculation. So no it doesn't affect Bennett at all. If he's getting a boost, it won't happen until probably July.

jblaze

Reaction score
This isn't a money thing. They're not going after Lynch's signing bonus money, it was a clause in the contract per John Clayton.

This is about freeing up 2.5m of cap space for this year if they do it after June 1.