Drew Nowak

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Nowak is the guy that much of the blame for the early struggles of the o-line is heaped on. We heard that he was named the starter because he had a big upside. The Drew Nowak experiment ended not fast enough but with a thud. Nowak was released but later added to the practice squad. To my knowledge he is still a member of the team in some capacity.

If he does indeed have a big upside, then is he progressing at all this offseason? I haven't heard any word on him via Pete or John or even whispers from Cable. How much of a project is he? Are they holding out hope that he may reach his potential or will they just dump him unceremoniously when they think no one is paying attention?

Basis4day

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3aw3gdt2 said:
Nowak is the guy that much of the blame for the early struggles of the o-line is heaped on. We heard that he was named the starter because he had a big upside. The Drew Nowak experiment ended not fast enough but with a thud. Nowak was released but later added to the practice squad. To my knowledge he is still a member of the team in some capacity.

If he does indeed have a big upside, then is he progressing at all this offseason? I haven't heard any word on him via Pete or John or even whispers from Cable. How much of a project is he? Are they holding out hope that he may reach his potential or will they just dump him unceremoniously when they think no one is paying attention?

He signed a futures contract and is currently signed for one year after ending last year on the PS. You're not going to hear much about him until offseason program starts. There Isn't a lot of progress to observe.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Perhaps Nowak is working his ass off to become a better center, but I've no idea. What I do know is that the blame falls on PETE and Cable for putting him in an impossible situation. Yes, they gave him a huge opportunity, but clearly he was not prepared to be successful.

Maybe he'll become a respectable Center in the NFL, and if he does then I'm happy for him as anyone. I just can't see how that happens for a year or two. It could be in his best interests to get some experience in Canada or something.

Largent80

Reaction score
The first Ram and Cincy losses were pretty much on him. I can't believe they put him in above Lewis or LJP for that matter.

Time to draft a center in round 1.

King Dog

Reaction score
Largent80":pe2en10e said:
The first Ram and Cincy losses were pretty much on him. I can't believe they put him in above Lewis or LJP for that matter.

Although it was a team loss - I put more of the blame on Dion Bailey than Nowack in that Rams game. Dude literally fell down and the wr was wide open to force overtime :(

I wouldn't mind a center in rd 1 at all.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bit of a whipping boy around here which is a little unfair. Not his fault he got made a starter and worked his butt off for the team (unlike the Cary Williams and Alvin Baileys of the world), and nowhere near as bad as some are saying. Will only get better.

Seafan

Reaction score
No center in the first round. Draft is deep with average centers. No need to reach for one in the first.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":2sc1t8sm said:

I don't know how you can blame Nowak for the Bengals game when Rawls ran wild and the offense had a 17 point 4th quarter lead.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":33np2x06 said:
Largent80":33np2x06 said:

I don't know how you can blame Nowak for the Bengals game when Rawls ran wild and the offense had a 17 point 4th quarter lead.
Yep. But then again they couldn't get a first down to save thier ass when they needed it. Enough blame to go around.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think he's camp fodder, and best case scenario, depth at the offensive line position. That's not too bad. He's still pretty young and with the right coaching, maybe he can turn into something. But he was dumped for Chase Coffman and the NFL had dibs on him and no one bit - for a reason.

I hope our line grows enough that keeping Drew Nowak isn't any type of priority.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Damn, society is harsh these days...

Remember the days when players were actually allowed the time to develop? It wasn't rare for players to start to improve and emerge as solid NFL players in their third, sometimes even fourth seasons in the league. I guess that concept is gone in our "what have you done for me lately" society th at we have now.

Sure, guys like Britt, Gilliam, and Nowak have struggled at points in their careers. Sometimes even mightily. However, they are still young and much like James Carpenter or Breno Giacomini, they might just need that playing time and experience to improve and break on through to the other side, as Jim Morrison would say.

I'm all about bringing in competition all along the offensive line this offseason, and may the best man truly win. I have no favorites or pre-conceived notions on who should start next year (well, that's not 100% true because I'm really pulling for Sokoli to become our best OL, but anyways), and I'm also not giving up on Britt or Nowak just yet. I actually quite like Britt's potential as a left guard, and appreciate Nowak for busting his ass last year for the squad.

Let's see how this all shakes out, but I wouldn't write off anyone just yet.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2mfhfsv5 said:
Hasselbeck":2mfhfsv5 said:
Largent80":2mfhfsv5 said:

Yep. But then again they couldn't get a first down to save thier ass when they needed it. Enough blame to go around.

That's correct. He was getting blown up when we needed just a couple first downs.

Largent80

Reaction score
Seafan":o13qjgin said:
No center in the first round. Draft is deep with average centers. No need to reach for one in the first.

This is the type of thinking that has us in a hole on the O-Line. It all starts at center and with the Aaron Donald's of the world lining up over center, it's time we invest in someone that isn't a developmental player.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NYCoug":3tkyklwt said:
Damn, society is harsh these days...

Remember the days when players were actually allowed the time to develop? It wasn't rare for players to start to improve and emerge as solid NFL players in their third, sometimes even fourth seasons in the league. I guess that concept is gone in our "what have you done for me lately" society th at we have now.

Sure, guys like Britt, Gilliam, and Nowak have struggled at points in their careers. Sometimes even mightily. However, they are still young and much like James Carpenter or Breno Giacomini, they might just need that playing time and experience to improve and break on through to the other side, as Jim Morrison would say.

I'm all about bringing in competition all along the offensive line this offseason, and may the best man truly win. I have no favorites or pre-conceived notions on who should start next year (well, that's not 100% true because I'm really pulling for Sokoli to become our best OL, but anyways), and I'm also not giving up on Britt or Nowak just yet. I actually quite like Britt's potential as a left guard, and appreciate Nowak for busting his ass last year for the squad.

Let's see how this all shakes out, but I wouldn't write off anyone just yet.

These same people wrote off the original LOB when Jennings was cut.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80":2p8uu5u0 said:
Seafan":2p8uu5u0 said:

This is the type of thinking that has us in a hole on the O-Line. It all starts at center and with the Aaron Donald's of the world lining up over center, it's time we invest in someone that isn't a developmental player.

I wouldn't be against a center in the 1st round if there is truly a difference maker at the position. I think they wait until the 2nd or third to take one if they do but IF they take one in the first I'll trust its a guy they had to have.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seafan":2zvrwfzu said:
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

razor150

Reaction score
I am not really sure what Pete and Cable were exactly expecting from Nowak. He was a guy who hadn't played on offensive line, was a project to develop, and was put on the hardest position to play on the line. It's like they put him out there to sadistically watch him fail.

AgentDib

Reaction score
They clearly love Nowak's athleticism and at the time they thought they could bring him up to speed when it came to center duties. They couldn't but must still think there's a chance or they wouldn't be wasting a roster spot on him. He'll get the chance to compete and it's way too early to pencil him in or write him off.

If we're going to be wildly speculating about the odds at center then I'll say 60% rookie, 25% Lewis, 10% veteran not on the roster, 5% Nowak.

Willyeye

Reaction score
AgentDib":q4xnm4qt said:
They clearly love Nowak's athleticism and at the time they thought they could bring him up to speed when it came to center duties. They couldn't but must still think there's a chance or they wouldn't be wasting a roster spot on him. He'll get the chance to compete and it's way too early to pencil him in or write him off.

If we're going to be wildly speculating about the odds at center then I'll say 60% rookie, 25% Lewis, 10% veteran not on the roster, 5% Nowak.

I'm just not feeling it. The top 2 Centers in this draft would be Ryan Kelly and Nick Martin. I just don't see either of theses guys as Day 1 starters in the NFL. They both have some glaring weaknesses, and this doesn't seem like a great draft class for Centers. I don't see the Hawks using a 1st round pick for either of them, and they'll likely both be gone by Pick #56. Also, I still get the feeling that JS trades down from Pick #26. Perhaps they get an O-Lineman in a lower round and try to convert him to Center. But I don't think a 60% chance of starting a rookie Center this year will be even close...more like 10%. I think it's much more likely they get an FA Center after the Lynch cap space becomes available...I think maybe after May 12?

Just so you know, I think Center is by far the most important position on the O-Line. The Center has to be an intelligent, savvy football player, and be a leader...being athletic is obviously a plus. I have a feeling both Nowak and Lewis do not fit this profile...both of their Sparq scores seem pretty mediocre. Also if you look at PFF grades for Centers, Nowak and Lewis had similar grades for blocking (Nowak was higher at pass blocking), but they were just below average. Nowak and Lewis both had higher grades than Britt, Sweezy and Gilliam. Only Okung had a higher grade than these two Centers. On a side note, one of my draft prospect favorites last year was Hroniss Grasu, and his grade was a lot lower than Lewis or Nowak's. Cameron Erving, the #1 Center prospect from 2015 fared even worse. Ali Marpet, who I think played mostly Guard, had a decent season, but he was a horrible pass blocker. It's just not that easy to come into the NFL as a rookie and become a starter at Center.