Farewell article from Russell Okung

drdiags

Reaction score
Russell did a nice farewell article. Worth the read. Good luck Russell

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ahawks-seattle-is-my-home-and-will-always-be/

The moment I stepped out on that field, I knew Seattle truly was special and I knew I wanted the Seahawks to be special. In the coming years, we would be. The staff put an amazing football team together — a group of misfits and talented players. We were tenacious, resilient and always hopeful. We would be champions one day. Super Bowl champions.

Few have had the opportunity to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy in all its glory — that achievement alone puts you in a select fraternity of men. And while winning a Super Bowl is one of my proudest accomplishments, my best memories aren’t of the championship games, but of the journey. People talk about our success, but they’ll never understand the work it took to get there. They don’t know the blood, sweat, and tears. They don’t understand our commitment to one another and the time we missed with our loved ones.

We are a family. My teammates are my brothers. Together, we created a new standard of football for the Seahawks.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drdiags":age1vvsb said:
Russell did a nice farewell article. Worth the read. Good luck Russell

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ahawks-seattle-is-my-home-and-will-always-be/

The moment I stepped out on that field, I knew Seattle truly was special and I knew I wanted the Seahawks to be special. In the coming years, we would be. The staff put an amazing football team together — a group of misfits and talented players. We were tenacious, resilient and always hopeful. We would be champions one day. Super Bowl champions.

Few have had the opportunity to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy in all its glory — that achievement alone puts you in a select fraternity of men. And while winning a Super Bowl is one of my proudest accomplishments, my best memories aren’t of the championship games, but of the journey. People talk about our success, but they’ll never understand the work it took to get there. They don’t know the blood, sweat, and tears. They don’t understand our commitment to one another and the time we missed with our loved ones.

We are a family. My teammates are my brothers. Together, we created a new standard of football for the Seahawks.

That was pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Thanks to Okung for his contributions to the Seahawks and the only Super Bowl Championship to date. I still like most of the players that were on that squad that have since moved on. It was a special group and I'm so grateful for the Championship they gave us fans.

It's great to see him write such things and see the things that matter behind the scenes. At the same time, makes me wonder why he didn't take the Seahawks "strong offer" and just stay in a place that is so special to him and where he now considers home. :Dunno:

I was fairly indifferent to Okung returning. Loved what he brought as an uninjured player and I'm sure he was a great teammate. But, I honestly would like to have more stability there. In limbo a bit now with him leaving, but it will get addressed. If he was plugged in again with a huge contract, I would wonder how many games he plays this season and how many he's got left in his career. Even if the guy occupying LT isn't as good as Okung when he's on the field, I'd like to see a guy there every week for the Hawks.

I wish the best for him (unless he's playing the Hawks.)

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":ox6bgpz3 said:
Thanks to Okung for his contributions to the Seahawks and the only Super Bowl Championship to date. I still like most of the players that were on that squad that have since moved on. It was a special group and I'm so grateful for the Championship they gave us fans.

It's great to see him write such things and see the things that matter behind the scenes. At the same time, makes me wonder why he didn't take the Seahawks "strong offer" and just stay in a place that is so special to him and where he now considers home. :Dunno:

I was fairly indifferent to Okung returning. Loved what he brought as an uninjured player and I'm sure he was a great teammate. But, I honestly would like to have more stability there. In limbo a bit now with him leaving, but it will get addressed. If he was plugged in again with a huge contract, I would wonder how many games he plays this season and how many he's got left in his career. Even if the guy occupying LT isn't as good as Okung when he's on the field, I'd like to see a guy there every week for the Hawks.

Very well put, I agree completely.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":yrzwhijm said:
TeamoftheCentury":yrzwhijm said:

Very well put, I agree completely.
Why, thank you!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for your time here Russell. Good luck to you in Denver! I hope you can realize your contract.

All in all I expected the team would not be able to come to terms with Okung as he had fallen off in performance and was no longer the player the team drafted at the end of his time here. His availability of 76.2% was something that needed to be factored as he was a big reason for a lack of OLine continuity. As well he seemed progressively vulnerable to speed rushers which was an underlying reason for his many drive stalling false start penalties. In due course I'm sure we will find out his foot ankle knee issues were more serious than many knew. The quickness that marked his early seasons here seemed to be absent.

I'm sure much of this is rationalization, but I understand why the team was only prepared to go so far with him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Together, we created a new standard of football for the Seahawks.

You absolutely did, Russell.

And fans should be forever grateful for that.

Look at all the crappy teams in the league and think how bad this team was in 2008, 2009.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Very cool farewell letter from Russell.

Now where's Percy Harvin's? I don't recall his. Must be around here somewhere....

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I'm not even going to bother reading this. He could have stayed. He could have not signed such a God aweful contract which is basically a 1 year deal.

Good riddance to all his false starts, bad ankles, and holding penalties on big running plays.

This offense line last year was horrific. If you think it could have gotten worse this year you are wrong. Sweezy gets beat. Okung false starts and is always hurt.

Remember when we complain after RW rookie yearabout the pass rush? Remember that's what PC talked mostly about at the end of the year? Pass rush pass rush pass rush. Well this year it's the O-line. We've brought in some FAs on prove it deals. These have worked for us in the past and I believe it will work again for us.

I hope Okung likes playing in mile high in December who a crappy quarterback.

He could have been part of something great. This "farewell" is just to save face with the fan base so he can sleep at night.

Good riddance

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Aros":ypmqe1h6 said:
Very cool farewell letter from Russell.

Now where's Percy Harvin's? I don't recall his. Must be around here somewhere....

I believe his went, "we'll always have the 2nd half kickoff. Now suck a d Seattle!"

morgulon1

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1nj9rlno said:
I'm not even going to bother reading this. He could have stayed. He could have not signed such a God aweful contract which is basically a 1 year deal.

Good riddance to all his false starts, bad ankles, and holding penalties on big running plays.

This offense line last year was horrific. If you think it could have gotten worse this year you are wrong. Sweezy gets beat. Okung false starts and is always hurt.

Remember when we complain after RW rookie yearabout the pass rush? Remember that's what PC talked mostly about at the end of the year? Pass rush pass rush pass rush. Well this year it's the O-line. We've brought in some FAs on prove it deals. These have worked for us in the past and I believe it will work again for us.

I hope Okung likes playing in mile high in December who a crappy quarterback.

He could have been part of something great. This "farewell" is just to save face with the fan base so he can sleep at night.

Good riddance

Yep. Never been a huge fan of Okung.

kf3339

Reaction score
A classy article by Okung. Good luck to you big man!

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
I guess he could have said kiss my butt or referred to Seattle as Egypt? Dude busted his hump, got his ankles rolled up on from his rookie year due to the jokers we had back then that were on their last legs.

Yeah, he was a false start machine but the guy was a huge upgrade after Walt was gone. Sounds like sour grapes to me. He is trying to be a pro on his way out the door. Saving face or not, guy took a chance being his own agent and came up short for the time being. Doesn't diminish that he helped this moribund Franchise finally win a ring.

For that, I tip my hat. I surely didn't want the team to pay top dollar and figured he was gone. No hard feelings here.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Nice farewell. Wish we could have worked something out with him, but it is what it is. I'll always be grateful for Okung's work to bring a Championship to Seattle.

Chapow

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":14xika1x said:

Good riddance

He was part of something great. A Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl Championship.

And it's too bad you're too bitter or whatever to read the letter, I believe it absolutely was sincere and had nothing to do with saving face with the fan base.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's a wonderful article. I think you're missing out if you choose not to read it.

He was the team's best lineman in this championship era. I think the team is a lot better with him than without him, but it is what it is. No question that his Pro Bowl season in 2012 helped a young Russell Wilson immensely, enabling the QB to play with the confidence that creates superstars. A lot to be grateful for.

mrt144

Reaction score
The worst part of any sports fandom is the posturing by certain fans that treat a player like a teenaged ex girlfriend who spurned them. It comes across that way at least.

mikeak

Reaction score
He is an employee that felt he was given a better opportunity elsewhere and he took it. It is not my place to judge his decision especially without all the facts.

He owes nothing to the team or the fans. If anything we owe him appreciation for being part of bringing a championship to Seattle.

Good luck - I hope he ends up on the second best team this year

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Chapow":1729go0j said:
kthebestwayw":1729go0j said:

Good riddance

He was part of something great. A Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl Championship.

And it's too bad you're too bitter or whatever to read the letter, I believe it absolutely was sincere and had nothing to do with saving face with the fan base.

So was Percy Harvin. What's your point?