Honey Badger giving props

pehawk

Reaction score
Great praise from who, at least in my opinion, is the best instinctual DB in the game (and maybe for sometime).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mathieu_Era/status/715022811404763136[/tweet]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Russ plays his best ball in Glendale.

Crossing up Cromartie, et. al., abusing Larry Foote, back-footed bomb to Sidney Rice, birthing multiple Arians "face" memes. Honey Badger has had a front row seat.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Honey Badger is a dream for fans. He doesn't sugar coat anything. Hard not to love him on and off the field.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2lk8h43s said:
StaffAmerica74":2lk8h43s said:
He'd be a seahawk if he showed up to meet with Pete and John before the draft.
Wait, what? Is this confirmed?

I'm (bi) curious to hear confirmation on this as well. I do now remember Matheau called in sick to at least one visit.

Man would he be perfect in Seattle. Back up Earl, play nickel CB, allow Earl to flex a bit. Gdamn it, now I'm pissed all over again.

Largent80

Reaction score
A bunch of people here on this board wanted him but if I remember correctly he had some sort of red flag type of thing.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Largent80":29qyq7id said:
A bunch of people here on this board wanted him but if I remember correctly he had some sort of red flag type of thing.

I actually think a bunch of people on this board didn't want him because of his red flags. Plus he hadn't played for over a year by the time the draft came around. 1 out of 100 times I'm right on a prospect...and I was right on Honey Badger. I just love instinctual DB's.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I wanted the Hawks to draft him. I took some flack for it, too.

I think he was suspended his last year at LSU for weed (and several failed drug tests.) That's the "red flag". Gotta give him credit for getting it together an choosing his career over weed.

I just don't get why teams don't take calculated risks on certain players. Mathieu for one. La'el Collins last year draft is even worse. Should have taken him with a late round pick. That's just stupid to pass completely there. The agent outsmarted every NFL team, apparently, with their bluff.

Collins’s agents decided to let teams know that if they weren’t going to draft Collins in the second or third round, they shouldn’t bother. They threatened teams that if Collins was drafted any later, he would sit out the season and re-enter the 2016 draft. While NFL teams bought the threat, it was apparently a bluff:

“We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft,” [agent Rick] Smith says of waiting for the 2016 draft. “If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks.”

http://deadspin.com/lael-collins-nearly ... 1704728354

There was only assumption of circumstantial evidence. It was looking likely he would be easily cleared of any suspicion. Could have had the starting LG with that pick. I don't buy any excuse that the Seahawks already had a PR headache with Clark. If anything, they could have served to deflect each other. Lots of people hate the Seahawks anyway, so I don't care what others think of our players. It's football.

Yeah, pehawk, this stuff doesn't sit well with me either.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":31p21lcb said:
I wanted the Hawks to draft him. I took some flack for it, too.

I think he was suspended his last year at LSU for weed (and several failed drug tests.) That's the "red flag". Gotta give him credit for getting it together an choosing his career over weed.

I just don't get why teams don't take calculated risks on certain players. Mathieu for one. La'el Collins last year draft is even worse. Should have taken him with a late round pick. That's just stupid to pass completely there. The agent outsmarted every NFL team, apparently, with their bluff.

Collins’s agents decided to let teams know that if they weren’t going to draft Collins in the second or third round, they shouldn’t bother. They threatened teams that if Collins was drafted any later, he would sit out the season and re-enter the 2016 draft. While NFL teams bought the threat, it was apparently a bluff:

“We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft,” [agent Rick] Smith says of waiting for the 2016 draft. “If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks.”

http://deadspin.com/lael-collins-nearly ... 1704728354

There was only assumption of circumstantial evidence. It was looking likely he would be easily cleared of any suspicion. Could have had the starting LG with that pick. I don't buy any excuse that the Seahawks already had a PR headache with Clark. If anything, they could have served to deflect each other. Lots of people hate the Seahawks anyway, so I don't care what others think of our players. It's football.

Yeah, pehawk, this stuff doesn't sit well with me either.

The NFL's redflag process always has a plantation owner vibe to it, IMO. It's very uncomfortable in certain instances.

Collins is a great example. As is Terrelle Pryor.

Anyone who doubted Matheau's game on the field most likely only sees the DVOA/math side of football.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We don't agree on much but I agree here PE. Collins was odd and you would think JS/PC would be immune to that sort of thing. Would love to hear their explanation. Maybe he isn't a great fit for our system. Not sure.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
It was either they select Frank Clark or Collins, not both.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Clark and think he's going to be a stud in this defense so maybe they made the right choice.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":2anm5et1 said:
I think it's as simple as they bought the line the agent was selling just like the other teams on Collins. If you ask would they go back and take Collins, I could almost hear JS say it now, "In a heartbeat."

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":543toknc said:
pehawk":543toknc said:
I think it's as simple as they bought the line the agent was selling just like the other teams on Collins. If you ask would they go back and take Collins, I could almost hear JS say it now, "In a heartbeat."

Maybe. But I don't buy that would deter Pete from selecting him. Pete has confidence in reaching anyone, no matter their issues.

I think both Boyer and lack of interest in Collins were due to the Clark selection. And, at least using that logic, Clark was the better choice

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think a few people were calling for Collins late in the draft so it was talked about as a guy that seemed weird being out there. At that point in the draft why not take a chance on him.

Largent80

Reaction score
Doesn't do any good to lament. This is an important draft for Seattle. They had better not frak it up.