Is there a chance the Hawks take a rb with a high pick?

seabowl

Reaction score
I know there are glaring needs in other areas however I'm not so sure I'm that comfortable with our rb situation as it stands now. Rawls was great last year but he's coming off a major injury and Michael is well... Michael. If one of the top rb drops to our spot (1st or 2nd rd) do you think there is a chance we take a rb? Again I know other areas are a concern OL, and maybe WR, CB, DL depth but the backfield the way it stands now is concerning.

Thoughts?

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
This would have made for an interesting poll. While I am lukewarm to the thought of spending the first or second rounder on a RB, nothing would surprise me at this point. I think if Elliott slips, it could get interesting.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
There's always a chance and given that they only have 2 RB on the roster right now it is more likely to happen than most years. I think they will address the OL and DL first though and maybe grab a RB with the 3rd pick.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I dont think they waste a high pick on RB. No need. They can get much more value in the lower rounds. We have two and yes while we need another we are not looking for that one piece in RB to get us over the top. Plus this draft is rich with lineman. That is where the value will be. If you look careful they are all about value in the draft.

getnasty

Reaction score
They spent a high one on Christine Michael when they had maybe the best back in the league. Thomas Rawls was good last year but it was only 6 games and then got injured.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Henry wouldn't shock me at all. Of they have similar grades for the offensive line guys in rounds 1-3 then it's even more likely. Still would bet they grab a defensive guy if that's the case but it's possible.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think they will, but take a look at 2 years ago where nobody nailed those picks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2504u6fw said:
They spent a high one on Christine Michael when they had maybe the best back in the league. Thomas Rawls was good last year but it was only 6 games and then got injured.

True, but it still wasn't a first rounder. Plus, they got a guy of Rawls' talent as an Undrafted free agent. I am sure they will get at least one back (I'd bet on 2) before the draft is over, but I would be surprised if it were a first rounder.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Clearly they could. Rawls + somebody would be a much better tandem than putting all of our eggs in one basket at a position that is one of the most oft-injured in the NFL. The likelihood varies based on what you consider to be a high pick. I think they'd probably jump at Elliott in the first or Henry in the second, neither of which is likely to be available at that pick.

I wouldn't be shocked if they took Henry in the first or traded down and took him in the early second. He's a 6'3" RB who put up the third highest pSPARQ among all RBs and loves to make contact with defenders. He's also a good pass blocker and receiver and could see plenty of third down or FB snaps even if we were giving Rawls the bulk of the workload. If the DTs we were interested in are off the board I think it's a solid possibility.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I would love to see them take a chance on keith marshall with a mid round pick. Go to youtube and check him out if you havent. Then remember that he did all of that work as a backup to gurly and chubb. They say he is injury prone, but he had one freakish knee injury, could happen to anyone. He came back from said injury and nearly beat Cj2k's combine record. Plus he has some power and good hands.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Was this brought on by the fact that Henry has already met with the Hawks?

Normally I don't like long striding RBs who lack lateral agility and true fast twitch explosion, but I guess it's possible. I don't know that he'll even get drafted in the first 2 rounds though. If he's there in the 3rd then maybe. He'd be a great goal line/short yardage back.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3uj9rpz9 said:
I would love to see them take a chance on keith marshall with a mid round pick. Go to youtube and check him out if you havent. Then remember that he did all of that work as a backup to gurly and chubb. They say he is injury prone, but he had one freakish knee injury, could happen to anyone. He came back from said injury and nearly beat Cj2k's combine record. Plus he has some power and good hands.
He's the apex athlete of all RBs in this draft. Probably the last couple drafts.

I'm interested for sure. He might be a 4th or even 5th rounder though just because of injury history and limited exposure.

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2wbmgqsm said:

Normally I don't like long striding RBs who lack lateral agility and true fast twitch explosion, but I guess it's possible. I don't know that he'll even get drafted in the first 2 rounds though. If he's there in the 3rd then maybe. He'd be a great goal line/short yardage back.
Love your stuff but disagree on Henry. He's going to shine in the right system.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
austinslater25":3r7eapx7 said:
vin.couve12":3r7eapx7 said:

Love your stuff but disagree on Henry. He's going to shine in the right system.
He's a lot like a bigger Demarco Murray. Long strider with almost no jump cut and lateral agility. If he can get behind an OL like Dallas (or Bama) where he can just go to the hole where the play is supposed to go then he's going to kill it.

However, like Murray, if he has to deviate from that hole he can't get side to side very well at all and he'll have trouble.

Personally, I don't think it's as much about system as the quality of the OL itself, but system fit works so I can agree with you on that.

He's also recently said that he struggles to keep his weight up. Him being a longer limb athlete, that could actually hurt him in that trying to carry extra weight can easily lead to bad injuries.

People have compared him to Brandon Jacobs, but Jacobs was a much more well proportioned athlete. Particularly in the lower body, which also lent Jacobs more ability.

One thing I really question for Henry is whether the Hawks OL would ever work for him. We don't open nice holes....

vin.couve12

Reaction score
When your arms are as big as your legs, I have immediate concerns about structural integrity as it pertains to a much rougher NFL level. We've seen that with the Monstar and PRich just on our own team.

EDIT: That said I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider really is interested. It's probably the lone beef that I have with him as an oversight in some cases.

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe they view Henry as a pass rusher? :p

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealJackAndrade/status/703303125600325633[/tweet]

Joking aside, the guy is basically a bigger version of Robert Turbin or DeMarco Murray, or a smaller version of Brandon Jacobs. I get why Seattle has interest but it feels like a mistake to me.

It's also worth mentioning that Henry had 406 touches last season. I wouldn't say that's a long term concern, but typically guys coming off that kind of workload experience terrible seasons the following year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Vin thanks for the response appreciate it.