Any news on "I'm Jimmy"?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So I was reading the T. Rawls thread and hear it might be possible he won't be back until late in the season. I knew this could happen but have hope it won't.

Anyway as you gals and guys know I live in Chiefs Kingdom and my friends are asking me about Jimmy Graham and I have heard nothing. So help me out. What's the news?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
As far as I've heard he's on pace to make training camp and likely to at least be able to play in the pre-season. It might be a bit optimistic though as I've also heard it's a possibility he might not come back untill mid-season. It's really depending on how Jimmy recovers and untill there is concrete data I doubt we'll hear any definitive reports.

sutz

Reaction score
Some here have described Jimmy's injury as career threatening, so I'm trying to remain hopeful while being realistic.

Your opening comment kind of threw me. It sounded like you meant Rawls wouldn't be back til mid-season and I had never heard that.

:240039:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sutz":3inodv0z said:
Some here have described Jimmy's injury as career threatening, so I'm trying to remain hopeful while being realistic.

Your opening comment kind of threw me. It sounded like you meant Rawls wouldn't be back til mid-season and I had never heard that.

:240039:

Exactly what I thought of too....Rawls not in till mid season would be very bad.....But reading the Rawls thread that JIMMY would not be back til mid season is more palatable.

:0190l: :240039: :229031_confused2:

sdog1981

Reaction score
The only players I could find that came back and had a impact a year latter where.

Joe Johnson DE

Ryan Clady LT

Jimmy is dead until 2017. Just think of how late Paul Richardson got hurt, it was a bit wishful to think he would be back the next season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm suspicious that the team won't have Graham available until the end of the PUP period and even then he likely won't be in football shape to do much until close to the playoffs if at all.

Of course this sucks because he's an uber talented player who was just starting to figure out things with RW.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":35cobrqs said:
We need to draft a TE.

I wouldn't bank on this.

Seattle wasn't active in the UFA market. The draft is really poor in terms of athletic prospects at TE. This wasn't news. So the fact we sat on our hands regarding a replacement level TE in March leads me to think we're standing pat.

Seattle can scheme around the loss. And Willson is an effective player in his own right. I figure we'll go with Willson/Helfet and if need be, fewer formations with TEs.

Normally, this would make some sense. But the pool of candidates is just poor. I don't see us taking one because 'we have to have one'. It's an optional piece.

It could mean we grade a player like Dan Vitale higher. He's a FB/HB hybrid that tested awesome and could possibly line up as a TE option. And be repurposed for FB duties when Graham returns.

Jville

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":x9a9m4c5 said:
Largent80":x9a9m4c5 said:
We need to draft a TE.

I wouldn't bank on this.

Seattle wasn't active in the UFA market. The draft is really poor in terms of athletic prospects at TE. This wasn't news. So the fact we sat on our hands regarding a replacement level TE in March leads me to think we're standing pat.

Seattle can scheme around the loss. And Willson is an effective player in his own right. I figure we'll go with Willson/Helfet and if need be, fewer formations with TEs.

Normally, this would make some sense. But the pool of candidates is just poor. I don't see us taking one because 'we have to have one'. It's an optional piece.

It could mean we grade a player like Dan Vitale higher. He's a FB/HB hybrid that tested awesome and could possibly line up as a TE option. And be repurposed for FB duties when Graham returns.

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how Brandon Cottom looks at tight end now that he has been re designated as such on the current roster list.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Latest "update" from Pete below.

Pete Carroll":ma3a4m8f said:
I’m communicating with Jimmy regularly, he should be fine. It is a substantial recovery. He’s doing great, he’s doing what he needs to do, and he’s really competitive about it. We’re anticipating that he’ll come back and we’ll hope to have him by the start of the season. We’ll see how it goes as far as camp and all of that, but he’s an incredible football player and a great team member and we’re thrilled to have him on our club. We were just getting going with Jimmy last year, so we’ll be really excited to get him back into the lineup.

Expect to have very little information about Graham going forwards. Pete is notoriously optimistic about this stuff and it doesn't benefit the Hawks in any way to give any real information about this. Graham will be "getting close" up until they point they actually put him into a game, put him on the PUP, or put him on the IR.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
That is why it was foolish not to have cut him. He is under contact for this year and next. Even if he comes back anyone think he will be playing at a 9.7m level ?

So a player we get for say half a year this year and next with all his unknowns is costing us near 20m in cap space... For a maybe he will be the " old " Jimmy.

A big risk for little payoff as we just don't pass that much and he can't block.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1dgd6vxs said:
That is why it was foolish not to have cut him. He is under contact for this year and next. Even if he comes back anyone think he will be playing at a 9.7m level ?

So a player we get for say half a year this year and next with all his unknowns is costing us near 20m in cap space... For a maybe he will be the " old " Jimmy.

A big risk for little payoff as we just don't pass that much and he can't block.
I believe it's been stated by numerous people on this site who know these things that you can't cut an injured player.

sutz

Reaction score
AgentDib":vnh0ob4v said:
Latest "update" from Pete below.

Pete Carroll":vnh0ob4v said:
I’m communicating with Jimmy regularly, he should be fine. It is a substantial recovery. He’s doing great, he’s doing what he needs to do, and he’s really competitive about it. We’re anticipating that he’ll come back and we’ll hope to have him by the start of the season. We’ll see how it goes as far as camp and all of that, but he’s an incredible football player and a great team member and we’re thrilled to have him on our club. We were just getting going with Jimmy last year, so we’ll be really excited to get him back into the lineup.

Expect to have very little information about Graham going forwards. Pete is notoriously optimistic about this stuff and it doesn't benefit the Hawks in any way to give any real information about this. Graham will be "getting close" up until they point they actually put him into a game, put him on the PUP, or put him on the IR.
Yeah, I'm thinking PUP in camp and pre, at least, and maybe into the season.

HansGruber

Reaction score
You know, it might actually benefit the Seahawks.

Jimmy Graham was a liability at TE last season. We generally use TEs as blockers and Wilson was getting killed last season, often right after Graham got turnstiled by a rusher. When he got injured, our offense actually improved and Wilson was getting sacked literally half as often.

What if the Seahawks drafted a couple Off and Def Linemen, and converted 1 or 2 to TE?

Our OL is going to suck hard early in the season. Might make sense to have 7 linemen out there, even if they do suck. Just run the ball and rely on short fast receivers to get open. Let Wilson do his thing. There's no way we're going to have a pocket passing type offense with whatever OL we manage to patch together.

And we all know Jimmy Graham is worthless as a blocker. We all saw it. I'm amazed Wilson didn't get injured last season. And Graham's production as a receiver, even right before he got injured, just didn't justify the beating that Wilson took. Not a good trade off.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HansGruber":3vxjdv9a said:
You know, it might actually benefit the Seahawks.

Jimmy Graham was a liability at TE last season. We generally use TEs as blockers and Wilson was getting killed last season, often right after Graham got turnstiled by a rusher. When he got injured, our offense actually improved and Wilson was getting sacked literally half as often.

What if the Seahawks drafted a couple Off and Def Linemen, and converted 1 or 2 to TE?

Our OL is going to suck hard early in the season. Might make sense to have 7 linemen out there, even if they do suck. Just run the ball and rely on short fast receivers to get open. Let Wilson do his thing. There's no way we're going to have a pocket passing type offense with whatever OL we manage to patch together.

And we all know Jimmy Graham is worthless as a blocker. We all saw it. I'm amazed Wilson didn't get injured last season. And Graham's production as a receiver, even right before he got injured, just didn't justify the beating that Wilson took. Not a good trade off.

I disagree with this. Wilson and Graham were finally starting to click.. yeah his blocking is non-existent.. but they were figuring out how to work around that.

Our offense started to click when Rawls got the running game going and Bevell went to a spread offense. It wasn't because Jimmy Graham got injured.

If you want to debate having a more rounded TE to help block, thats an entirely different subject.. but I don't see how having a healthy Jimmy Graham to draw attention from defenses is a bad thing for this offense. Especially as they begin to throw the ball a bit more than they have in recent years.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
I agree with puppy, a complete management snafu, seriously I thought the front office was shrewder than thus.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm sure he goes on PUP. Pete is cautious with players, and it makes no sense to bring back Jimmy early if he can't contribute at a high level.

Save him for the playoffs.

Thomas Rawls should be ready to by preseason judging by what he and Pete have said.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Happypuppy":5fy2netm said:

Marlin Man":5fy2netm said:
I agree with puppy, a complete management snafu, seriously I thought the front office was shrewder than thus.

This has been explained multiple times on these boards and on the radio but somehow people seem to still have the misconception that we can cut Jimmy Graham. He got injured and has not been cleared by doctors to come back and play again, so We Can Not Cut Him without an injury settlement that would Guarantee his contract for a number of weeks equal to the time he would be likely to miss due to the injury he suffered.

Seattle may very well plan to release Graham once he rehabs and gets cleared to resume playing but it makes absolutely no sense to do that right now because all that does is show your hand to Jimmy's agent who would then likely fight for the Entire Year to be Guaranteed because of the seriousness of his injury. If they keep Graham motivated to rehab and come back this year they can cut him after he's cleared to play and not have to pay him his full salary.

I hope that clears things up once and for all to all the "Cut Graham now" people. Bottom line is we can't.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Here's a little more info on Injury settlements:
Injury settlements are used in lieu of placing a player on the Injured Reserve (IR) until he is healthy enough to be released. If an injury is deemed to take longer than 17 weeks to recover the player will be placed on IR for the season and receive his full salary (unless he has a split contract).

The Player does Not have to agree to take an injury settlement:
If a player, usually upon the advice of his agent, doesn’t want to do an injury settlement, it’s the team’s obligation to rehab and give him medical treatment. Once the team and the team’s physician deem the player healthy enough to return to the field, the team will release the player from the injured list. If the player feels he is still injured, he has the right to file an injury grievance against the team. An independent arbitrator (as spelled out in the CBA) will hear the grievance.

With the severity of Jimmy's injury it could be tough and turn out really bad for Seattle's salary cap:
Negotiating an injury settlement can be very tricky and can get downright nasty. A player has a right to a second opinion from a doctor of his choice. So a team doctor may say the injury should be completely healed in 6 weeks. A second opinion doctor may say that it could take up to ten weeks for the injury to heal. Therefore, the agent will ask the team for ten or even eleven weeks of salary. The team will propose five or six weeks. The two parties will usually reach an agreement in the middle of the two opinions. In most cases, agents will fight tooth and nail for a time beyond the predicted recovery table to make sure they don’t short change their client. Agents will also try to get a settlement equal to at least 3 game checks in order to garner that player a credited season which would lead to certain benefits if the player had at least three credited seasons. As agents, we know that injuries take longer to heal than what is typically projected.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

Latest posts