This play was so awesome vs the Vikes

King Dog

Reaction score
Forgot about this one. Ridiculous...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/718589271670530049[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Has to be one of the greatest plays in Seahawks playoff history. Just an amazing play by everyone: Wilson's magic, Lockett's awareness, and the O-line's patience to not go illegally downfield.

djb28

Reaction score
I wonder why he went left after the catch. I think if he just ran straight up it was a TD. Awesome play though.

NINEster

Reaction score
Bad cutoff by the DB (ok against 31 other starting QBs, not Wilson). No way Wilson escapes that sack if played right...maybe he gets off a throwaway. Wilson is good but not superhuman.

"Scramble Drill" took care of the rest.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) Don't understand how anyone forgot about this play :)

2) Commentators really were pretty subdued compress to how unlikely this play was

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
NINEster":1zyi29md said:
Wilson is good but not superhuman.

...and how many other people of the 330,000,000 in the USA could pull off that feat? .....or if you prefer the 7 billion inhabiting this planet could make this happen? THAT was "superhuman"!

NINEster

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1w7uo6ic said:
NINEster":1w7uo6ic said:

...and how many other people of the 330,000,000 in the USA could pull off that feat? .....or if you prefer the 7 billion inhabiting this planet could make this happen? THAT was "superhuman"!

Its impressive but it's still not a superhuman play, and a great deal of luck. Any of the other mobile QBs could make that play with a 50% probability (the escape part....any QB could make that throw). Wilson thrives off defenders taking super direct angles at him (with few exceptions like the cards CB blitz in 2014), but is very human against containment angles.

It hardens back to an original point that it almost feels like a broken play is part of the Seahawk playbook if times are dire.

If Cam or Kap makes that play, many here would call it lucky. And they would be RIGHT.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
NINEster":1nherl05 said:
Bigpumpkin":1nherl05 said:
NINEster":1nherl05 said:

Its impressive but it's still not a superhuman play, and a great deal of luck. Any of the other mobile QBs could make that play with a 50% probability (the escape part....any QB could make that throw). Wilson thrives off defenders taking super direct angles at him (with few exceptions like the cards CB blitz in 2014), but is very human against containment angles.

It hardens back to an original point that it almost feels like a broken play is part of the Seahawk playbook if times are dire.

If Cam or Kap makes that play, many here would call it lucky. And they would be RIGHT.

As you say "It hardens back to an original point that it almost feels like a broken play is part of the Seahawk playbook if times are dire." That's the thing about RW vs other mobile QB, RW makes those type of plays happen all the time. He is consistently making plays that have people asking if anyone else could have done that, in the most critical of times. If you think he just happens to be lucky you are grossly understating his ability to make plays happen when things in a logical basis should not work. He defies logic.

When Keap defies logic most of the time its not good for you.

mikeak

Reaction score
NINEster":32jm974c said:
Any of the other mobile QBs could make that play with a 50% probability (the escape part....any QB could make that throw). .

RW made a good job of securing the football while being able to stay mobile. He didn't do a move where he may miss the football (which we often see) nor did he fall on it making it a dead play. Not everyone will do that as nicely

Yes any qb can make the throw - if they see the guy and stay composed. Those are big ifs

Wilson thrives off defenders taking super direct angles at him (with few exceptions like the cards CB blitz in 2014), but is very human against containment angles..

Agree in general but I think that RW has proven an elusiveness over other QBs. I think it is as simple as his size allows him to be more nimble over other QBs. He can basically escape underneath them AT TIMES.

It hardens back to an original point that it almost feels like a broken play is part of the Seahawk playbook if times are dire..

And is that an issue? Knowing and playing with the fact that if the play breaks down you still have +25% chance of completing a play allows you to do different things with the original play design.....

253hawk

Reaction score
NINEster":3n84m5kk said:

No other QB would have had the presence of mind to slide in order to keep momentum throughout picking up the ball (Newton can't even dive on a ball in the waning minutes of the SB, for crying out loud). Slowing or stopping to pick it up wastes time and all of a sudden that escape angle is completely gone.

It's only because of that slide that Wilson leaves himself enough space, angle, and time to read the situation and make something of it, even if it's just throwing the ball away to avoid taking a loss of yardage. His shorter frame also allows him to get down quicker than those 6'5" QBs, who would just be a heap of lanky arms and legs flopping on the ball. They may be great athletes, sure, but they don't have the agility or dexterity to pull that play off given the same variables. Maaaaybe with Kap's baseball background, but he was a pitcher, so I doubt his sliding skills would be up to snuff. He'd have tried to do it all with pure speed, and would still be slower than sliding.

NINEster

Reaction score
Largent80":3lt72s0o said:
^^^^^ How do those sour grapes taste?

They taste good bro.

I have undeniable hate in my blood. :thirishdrinkers: :mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
253hawk":3sgv3ewy said:
NINEster":3sgv3ewy said:

No other QB would have had the presence of mind to slide in order to keep momentum throughout picking up the ball (Newton can't even dive on a ball in the waning minutes of the SB, for crying out loud). Slowing or stopping to pick it up wastes time and all of a sudden that escape angle is completely gone.

It's only because of that slide that Wilson leaves himself enough space, angle, and time to read the situation and make something of it, even if it's just throwing the ball away to avoid taking a loss of yardage. His shorter frame also allows him to get down quicker than those 6'5" QBs, who would just be a heap of lanky arms and legs flopping on the ball. They may be great athletes, sure, but they don't have the agility or dexterity to pull that play off given the same variables. Maaaaybe with Kap's baseball background, but he was a pitcher, so I doubt his sliding skills would be up to snuff. He'd have tried to do it all with pure speed, and would still be slower than sliding.

Wilson made a good play. I'll give you credit for the slide, I hadn't noticed that before.

What I'm annoyed with is that the DB made a big mistake in allowing it to happen. You don't see these mistakes for punt coverage teams against dangerous returners as much as you see it against Wilson.

It is what it is. Wilson takes advantage of a mistake on a 99.9% sure sack and then sometimes will scramble 15 seconds and throw incomplete (see SB49). Complete enigma player.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":13olt94c said:
NINEster":13olt94c said:
253hawk":13olt94c said:
NINEster":13olt94c said:

Wilson made a good play. I'll give you credit for the slide, I hadn't noticed that before.

What I'm annoyed with is that the DB made a big mistake in allowing it to happen. You don't see these mistakes for punt coverage teams against dangerous returners as much as you see it against Wilson.

It is what it is. Wilson takes advantage of a mistake on a 99.9% sure sack and then sometimes will scramble 15 seconds and throw incomplete (see SB49). Complete enigma player.

Funny...guys continue to make "mistakes" against him game after game. At that point, don't you think that is a trend and that maybe Wilson's ability is the overarching reason these guys keep making mistakes?

For real - at what point do you give kudos to the dude causing all these 'mistakes' for simply being a player that causes them?

253hawk

Reaction score
NINEster":3s3s59q7 said:

Oh I agree. Munnerlyn totally overplayed it and should have kept Wilson on his inside shoulder. He was probably trying to angle for the ball if Wilson muffed it or was going in for the two-hand touch; I think it caught him completely by surprise to see a QB down on all fours and not concede to the defense.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a once-in-a-lifetime type of player. And he's a QB. Our QB. I'm going to savor every minute of him.