10 stats that say our O could be historically elite

Schadie001

Reaction score
Just read this on Fieldgulls.com. Now there is no question for at least part of the year our Oline was just plain awful. This fact has been beat to death. But the fact that we were actually pretty dam good on offense proves to me that the PC/JS/TC formula is working. Despite having the 30th ranked pass protection in the league we still were flat awesome and had big time players making big time plays. I get it, what could we have done if our Oline was just ranked middle of the road, and this is a great question. But I think we have proven that we don't need to break the bank or over reach in the draft to still be successful and also win SB's.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/14...nse-russell-wilson-thomas-rawls-tyler-lockett

olyfan63

Reaction score
Historically elite offense for QB pressures and QB hits allowed?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So let me see if I have this right.
We had an offensive line ranked at the bottom of the league, but our offense still managed to make a lot of plays.
In response to this we let go of our top two offensive lineman and replaced the. With guys we already had that could not beat out last years woeful starters?

And you think this approach will not only help the offense improve but our line will magically transform to being historically elite?

You have had tooo much cool aide.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
It makes a lot of sense to me. The Seahawks have fielded a great offense the past few years. Whether you like the OL or not (most of us don't); you can't say that they have stopped the Offense from performing at an extremely high level.

Now, obviously we have all witnessed some absolute stinkers, BUT, I'd caveat that with the fact that those came against teams with Elite DLs, who have given 95% of the league immense trouble.

I want to upgrade the OL. I will never not want to do that. BUT, and this is the key point; I don't want us wasting valuable resources (draft capital or cap space) by overpaying for somebody who will have a negligible net impact on how the offense performs. To me, the analogy is like filling up your Ford Focus with premium fuel and changing the oil every 500 miles. It's good for the car, but are you really getting any value out of doing this? You might feel better about doing this, but all you are really doing is spending money and getting a very limited/negligible impact for doing so.

I for one am happy that PC/JS refused to panic and severely overpay very mediocre OL in Free Agency. One of the most dangerous things anybody can do, in any aspect of life is "we HAVE to do something!" This is where you start to arbitrarily spend money to make things better, and really all it does is make you feel better (not actually make things better).

I hope the Seahawks spend some decent draft capital on the OL.
I hope this doesn't involve passing on superior talent at other positions of need.
If we draft a Guard who we want to upgrade in 2 years and pass on a potential foundational piece at DT, that's when I will get upset with what they are doing.

I'd much rather have Vernon Butler and Connor McGovern over Germain Ifedi and a 2nd round DT. That's just me, though.

OP
OP
S

Schadie001

Reaction score
brimsalabim":svsij1pe said:
So let me see if I have this right.
We had an offensive line ranked at the bottom of the league, but our offense still managed to make a lot of plays.
In response to this we let go of our top two offensive lineman and replaced the. With guys we already had that could not beat out last years woeful starters?

And you think this approach will not only help the offense improve but our line will magically transform to being historically elite?

You have had tooo much cool aide.

I don't like cool aide...I like facts and I don't let my emotions take control of what logic and data shows. The data shows we were pretty dam good on offense last year with a pretty bad Oline.

I screamed just as loud as anyone early in the season last year as our line looked like it did not exist. But I also saw drastic improvement. One of our best offensive games came with those same two Olineman you listed as our "top" out of the lineup. Proven once again when our LT goes out of the game in against the Panthers and our offensive actually improved. Hey I miss the days of having one of the best Olines in the game but we are a drastically different team from 2006-07. I believe PC/JS/TC probably know just a little bit more about evaluating talent at every single position on the team than us armchair QB's writing in a forum or we would be sitting on some teams staff, just saying. I've listen to them all speak about our Oline and didn't hear a shread of panic or doubt that we will be better this year than last. Our line though bad last year did show signs of improvement. I don't see the sky falling and would rather draft to make our Dline unstoppable than reach for a guy on the Oline who isn't going to be any better than what we have.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I would like for people to wait and see about our line. It seems a lot of people have a doom and gloom attitude towards it. But we arent taking into account personal growth, as well as other factors of potential improvement. Maybe Gilliam is better suited on the left side. He was one of the most improved linemen in the second half of the season, league wide. Even with only one game under his belt, I have a good feeling glowinski will be a nice improvement on sweezy. We have yet to see Sokoli and poole. They say Sokoli is an absolute athletic freak. I think we should draft ryan kelly at center, or one of the top guards, or both perhaps. We do that, we may be surprised. In PCJS I trust. And Tom cable is one of the best, no matter how much people want to slam him. If almost anyone else had his line over the past few years, I don't think the results would be nearly as good.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Our offensive can hardly get worse and I doubt the loss of injury riddled Okung and penalty machine Sweezy is going to hurt us as much as some think.

Atradees

Reaction score
1. Easiest Schedule we have had.
2. Russell Wilson.
3. These wide receivers are just what we need.

I was gonna make my own list. Getting some help at tackle center and guard will help us. We haven't found any great offensive lineman in the fifth round. Our corner-back formulae wont work here.

Leraven Clark please.......cody whitehair......ryan kelly. all doable. I just know we aint gonna do it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2i38x1gv said:
Our offensive can hardly get worse and I doubt the loss of injury riddled Okung and penalty machine Sweezy is going to hurt us as much as some think.
Yes but the idea is to get better, isn't it? If our offense was pretty good behind historically poor offensive line play just imagine how it might look if we upgraded to average line performance? I'll feel a lot better if we bring at least one OL stud through the draft. Preferably a very intelligent center as that seems to be one place where smarts beats sparkies all over the field.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hopefully Bevell figures out passing 3rd and shorts between now and the season.

Latest posts