What prevents us from winning Superbowl this year?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
What do you guys feel will be the main reason why we don't win a championship this season? I try not to be the type that says "we're going to win it all this year!" But I feel strongly optimistic about this upcoming season.

However, there are several causes that could prevent us from winning our second superbowl in four seasons, whether it be another team getting in our way or simply us getting in our own way.

Could it be the dreaded offensive line that many 12s hate? Injuries to star players? The Panthers being a roadblock? Wilson taking a step back? Rawls not living up to the promise of his rookie campaign coming off an ankle injury? Something else?

Let me know what you guys think! Go hawks!

stizz19

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2lsbcc69 said:
What do you guys feel will be the main reason why we don't win a championship this season? I try not to be the type that says "we're going to win it all this year!" But I feel strongly optimistic about this upcoming season.

However, there are several causes that could prevent us from winning our second superbowl in four seasons, whether it be another team getting in our way or simply us getting in our own way.

Could it be the dreaded offensive line that many 12s hate? Injuries to star players? The Panthers being a roadblock? Wilson taking a step back? Rawls not living up to the promise of his rookie campaign coming off an ankle injury? Something else?

Let me know what you guys think! Go hawks!

Major injuries and/or ourselves.

Largent80

Reaction score
We saw what the advantage of having home field means, so getting off to a slow start is not something the team can afford. Shoring up the O-Line is a must do. We are armed with some draft picks that should at minimum give us decent depth.

Same old other things, luck, injuries, officials etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how good you are, there are still certain things that need to happen to win championships.

- health
- players stepping up to fill important roles
- luck
- bad calls kept to a minimum
- timing of peaking

More specifically for us? I think Rawls coming back healthy and staying healthy is the most important factor right now. If he can carry the load then our offense should roll. But if he gets hurt and we have to do some sort of piece meal running by committee and become a one dimensional team with Russell running for his life half the season? No bueno.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Same things every year. Injuries, desire, commitment to the player next to you, ball bouncing our way (or not) and some luck along the way.

McGruff

Reaction score
Talent for talent we are better than every team in the NFL. I give us 60% or better chance of winning against everyone else, home or away, morning or afternoon. We are that good.

So it comes down to three things that talent can't control.

Injuries.

Luck.

Referrees.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The offensive line. If it comes together and improves, I think we are Houston bound in February.

If it plays like it did last season.. not as confident.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":3iylgtbk said:
We saw what the advantage of having home field means, so getting off to a slow start is not something the team can afford. Shoring up the O-Line is a must do. We are armed with some draft picks that should at minimum give us decent depth.

Same old other things, luck, injuries, officials etc.

I'd agree with all of this. Unlike last year, most of our easy games are in the front half of the schedule, and there's a 5 game stretch in there that looks pretty tough. If we get off to a slow start, there's no guarantee we can finish strong to win the divisiion, especially at places like Lambeau in the winter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Home field is a biggie, and IMO the players learned that in a big way last year. They now know they can't just flip the switch in November and expect to go on the road for three straight playoff games and end up in the Superbowl.

Distractions is another big item for me. Players like Bennett whining and Kam holding out was a BIG deal last year in contributing to the slow start and lack of focus early. Hopefully we can get all that buttoned up by training camp this year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Having Rawls perform the way he did last year would be fantastic but even when he went down Michael was able to sustain good performances. Having both would be deadly but even with one out I still like our chances.

O-line can't start out like it did last year but we don't have the slate of dominant D-lines to face out of the gate like last year. I like that this year the lineman will have a chance to potentially gel and gain some confidence. That being said I think we need improvement from last year to be successful but I do like how the schedule might give us that chance.

Cohesion and commitment. Bringing back a couple of team leaders from the past, not doing something crazy in FA (IE Cary Williams or even Jimmy or Harvin) and not coming off a super bowl loss will all help us to be in better shape team wise, than last year. I feel pretty confident about this aspect.

Injuries are always the wild card and if Jimmy and P-Rich can't get back we are a single WR injury from severe struggles. P-Rich has a good chance to get back on the field. He played 15 games his rookie year before tearing his ACL and that hamstring injury was likely a result from not being in game shape. He should be this year. Jimmy I am hopeful for but cautiously optimistic. If both are back and 100% that would help significantly.

Still key injuries to Wilson, Earl, Sherm or Kam could derail the season.

The schedule is set up as perfect as we could ever imagine. Easy start to gain cohesion and confidence and a tough finish that bodes well for the theory that steal sharpens steal.

Officiating? If we don't go for the third year in a row with the worst penalty differential I think we will be fine. Honestly though I get the feeling the officiating will be much more even going forward.Just a gut feeling but I would be surprised if opponents see half the penalties of their average every time they play us for the third year in a row. At some point it is no longer a coincidence.

I don't believe we need home field to win it all and I don't think we needed to last year but if we do end up a wild card not playing back to back 10am games in the worst possible conditions would be nice. Had we ended up the 5 seed and played Washington in Washington then went to AZ I think we had a very good shot at taking Carolina down in Carolina in an evening game on a field that had already been exposed and knowledge was available for how to play there. A rematch against Denver would have been awesome with the #1 and #2 defenses and how much better our offense is than theirs, I doubt we blow them out like last time but I definitely like our chances for the win.

A

Anonymous

Nothing helps us more than other teams falling apart. This may be one of those years that a favorable schedule, and other teams ineptitude, plays-in more than we anticipate.

It will be interesting to see how our opponents will gear-up to play us. They've got to be looking at that recently-released schedule, thinking they will need to make moves in order to counter us, and then attempting to execute that plan. Teams like the Pats and the Panthers will be thinking about themselves, while the rest, IMO, are on the outside looking in.

I'm with Rob, though, the draft will be critical to us being in a position to compete out of the gate and roll with the minor bumps and bruises through our depth. Coaching staff and FO will need to pack a lunch for this season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
In no particular order....... Injuries, offensive line play, play calling on offense.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
two biggest road blocks IMHO:

-Offensive Line losing us a couple games and costing us HFA

-Aging defense taking some injuries

Other than those two concerns you can't really tell me we don't have as good or better a chance than anyone else in the NFC to make it back, and who in the AFC is better

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Being the bully. I didn't feel we were last year.

That toughness and attitude must come back. The swagger and moxie. We lost a huge piece of it last year without BeastMode. Now his total absence will make it even worse.

Gotta get back that junkyard dog presence that our championship team had. We intimidated other teams.

We need that back.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Well one thing that prevents us from winning the Superbowl this year, is the fact that none of us actually play for the Seahawks or any NFL team for that matter. :mrgreen:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Besides injuries (duh), GB benefiting from the easiest schedule and grabbing the 1 seed and keeping us out. I think Carolina and ARZ take a step back.