Core Contracts and Random Tangents

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Every single year the core players the Seahawks were able to re-sign become bargains on what average to above average player get on the open market.

I didnt agree with Wilson's apy but now the premium for average starters is like 15-18 million now for QBs.

Look what Maxwell got for 2015 and Norman getting 15 m per year. Not to mention what some teams gave Rams DBs and what the Rams gave Mark Barron.

Bennett and Avril are two of the most effecient 4-3 DEs in the NFL were signed for less than 8 apy. Average or less established pass rushers are now getting 9+ mil to as much as 16 mil. VonMiller wants franchise QB money.

Even the deals Seahawks gave this year are bargains with the way the contracts are written. Jermaine Kearse has the potential be 1000 yard, 8 TD guy in a high volume system going off last years effecience stats.

Look at Baldwin gut put up 1000+ yards, 10+ TDs for less than 6 mil against the cap in 2015.

Getting Lane for what he gots was also a good job by JS. Lane is a very good player and if he didnt lose half the year last season would have made much more.

Kearse and Lane still are growing too.

KJ Wright and the ensuing hand wringing over his contract looks a little silly now for a player who quietly but consistently is establishing himself as an an elite player at the WLB position. His sub 7 mil apy doesnt look significant these days when 29 year olds like Bruce Irvin are pulling 9.33 mil on todays market. Different players with different skillsets but Wright has been more more consistent as a player and arguably more valuable since entering the league. Im sure pfref's AV would agree.

Seahawks did thier players right by giving thier core players, who are some of the best at thier positions, fair contracts in terms of the market those given years.

I dont think anyone could have predicted how crazy the market would get for non elite to sub elite players getting big time contracts. Seahawks might be pushed against the cap but at least they got thier core under contract before the market went bananas.

I dont want to think about next season im just glad that Baldwin and Hauscka are like the only key players Seahawks need to pay.

Guys like Webb, Siliga, Clemons, and Browner... Many are nonchalant about thier signings but even sub average play would easily be bargain deals. If you get average play its a bonus. Above average play and its a great steal. Even add Gilliam to this mix who has the potential to be a solid LT, he'll be cheap over the next two seasons, and it isnt much of a climb to reach Okung's production and value output as long as Gilliam improves each game and stays healthy and active each game.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We have done good letting players go to teams who overpaid. Red, Clem, Browner, Tate, Maxwell, Thurmond, and this year Sweezy and Irvin. We have kept the right guys and they have mostly outplayed their money. There was a bit too much of "Russ is overpaid" last year and I think it won't be any more of that. His contact will look like a bargain by the end of next year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Definately. However, technically Bryant and Clem were cuts and they got decent contracts with Jacksonville but I dont think they overpaid for either compared to what the Seahawks gave them.

To me though they were half cap casualties and half Quinn casualties to the emergence of Bennett and Avril as the better players. And the Seahawks werent going to play Bryant and Clem to be backups. And they also deserved the chance to earn that money and find starting roles if they could.

However, this team has made a number of bad deals too like the Harvin trade, Flynn, and the jury is still out if Graham can produce value.

But the negatives certainly seem to turn into positives.

Without Flynn do the Seahawks have to pull the trigger on Wilson in the 2nd and miss out on Wagner? Or does someone jump ahead and take Wilson in the third knowing the Seahawks have the need?

No Harvin likely means Tate is re-signed, Tate probably kills the need for Tyler Lockett, who I think will be one of the most dangerous players in the NFL someday similar to Antonio Brown.

Without the trade for Lockett does Seattle take an RB with one of those picks, if they do, do they still end up with Rawls. If they do, does he still make the team?

That has nothing to really do with contracts, but it just falls into the thought that even if something seems irrational at the time like paying your core players top dollar in thier market (at the time) eventually its not going matter so much i.e. teams overpaying just as good or less players and making those core contracts look like bargains.

Or players developing or outplaying thier deals.

As much as I hated Bennett especially Kam for thier distractions, they definately werent wrong with thier business, they probably deserve to be paid more for what they give especially considering some of the newly minted deals a few of thier peers got. It sucks.

Im just glad for the forseeble future the team is locked in and while its a little unappealing that the 2013 draft kind of flamed out. It kind of helped the Seahawks didnt need to extend a must have player in year 3. And Willson, Hill, Michael, and Simon probably wont get considerable interest on the open market. Theyll likely fit in that third or fourth FA tier of being just another guy in the dime a dozen pool of free agents barring an incredible year.

And I think its still a win if you can re-sign a few of your homegrown players on the cheap provide they do have certain value to give or are still growing into their potential. Thats depth. Thats familarity. Thats experience. Thats established competition that you can compare and contrast against.

Dont really know what my endgame is. Just went on a random tangent.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A random tangent once in a while is a great thing as it brings all other things into focus. At this time we are nearing the draft and will see what stones we can pull out of some college. Some of those will be polished, some will crumble like sandstone. It is up to our coaching staff to determine if they are a steal or beachfront property.

On a side note....I like the upgrade to your SIG...Pandion.

the deflator.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1g5kc3lb said:
Every single year the core players the Seahawks were able to re-sign become bargains on what average to above average player get on the open market.

I didnt agree with Wilson's apy but now the premium for average starters is like 15-18 million now for QBs.

Look what Maxwell got for 2015 and Norman getting 15 m per year. Not to mention what some teams gave Rams DBs and what the Rams gave Mark Barron.

Bennett and Avril are two of the most effecient 4-3 DEs in the NFL were signed for less than 8 apy. Average or less established pass rushers are now getting 9+ mil to as much as 16 mil. VonMiller wants franchise QB money.

Even the deals Seahawks gave this year are bargains with the way the contracts are written. Jermaine Kearse has the potential be 1000 yard, 8 TD guy in a high volume system going off last years effecience stats.

Look at Baldwin gut put up 1000+ yards, 10+ TDs for less than 6 mil against the cap in 2015.

Getting Lane for what he gots was also a good job by JS. Lane is a very good player and if he didnt lose half the year last season would have made much more.

KJ Wright and the ensuing hand wringing over his contract looks a little silly now for a player who quietly but consistently is establishing himself as an an elite player at the WLB position. His sub 7 mil apy doesnt look significant these days when 29 year olds like Bruce Irvin are pulling 9.33 mil on todays market. Different players with different skillsets but Wright has been more more consistent as a player and arguably more valuable since entering the league. Im sure pfref's AV would agree.

Seahawks did thier players right by giving thier core players, who are some of the best at thier positions, fair contracts in terms of the market those given years.

I dont think anyone could have predicted how crazy the market would get for non elite to sub elite players getting big time contracts. Seahawks might be pushed against the cap but at least they got thier core under contract before the market went bananas.

I dont want to think about next season im just glad that Baldwin and Hauscka are like the only key players Seahawks need to pay.

Guys like Webb, Siliga, Clemons, and Browner... Many are nonchalant about thier signings but even sub average play would easily be bargain deals. If you get average play its a bonus. Above average play and its a great steal. Even add Gilliam to this mix who has the potential to be a solid LT, he'll be cheap over the next two seasons, and it isnt much of a climb to reach Okung's production and value output as long as Gilliam improves each game and stays healthy and active each game.

Wilson more than earned his apy based on his performance last season. If Brock Osweiler can garner $17.5 million apy, then Russell (a QB who has led his team to the playoffs each year and played in two straight SBs, winning one) definitely earned his contract. He's one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL not an average starter. IMO, Wilson is a better QB than Newton and Flacco and Cam and Joe got over $20m apy too. As a matter of fact Flacco's apy is higher at $22m. He got what he deserved for market rate at his position.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Once the old dogs retire (Manning, Brady, and Brees) Wilson might have surpassed Rodgers as the best QB since Brady.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are several obvious factors that make the winner's curse in free agency a bigger deal in the NFL than in many other sports. The fixed team salary cap means that the talent level on a team is directly a function of value (production/$) and it is not possible to overpay players and still have a good team. In addition, the lack of individual contract maximums ensure that once a player hits the open market and starts looking for the best offer they will be able to get what the most optimistic team thinks they are worth. Furthermore, the very cheap fixed rookie contracts significantly lowers the relative value of all free agents.

Re-signing your core guys is a necessity in this framework because rational teams can afford to be more patient than the players can. Contract extensions with one year remaining are a powerful carrot as a result and allow teams to increase their overall talent level for the same fixed salary. From a talent perspective the perfect roster makeup would be a large enough group of core players to reach the salary cap with the remainder of the team playing on their first (and artificially cheap) contracts. Any other veterans would be added only if they were willing to play at a discount or if veteran experience was desired for locker room chemistry.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3qw0pjao said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3qw0pjao said:

Wilson more than earned his apy based on his performance last season. If Brock Osweiler can garner $17.5 million apy, then Russell (a QB who has led his team to the playoffs each year and played in two straight SBs, winning one) definitely earned his contract. He's one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL not an average starter. IMO, Wilson is a better QB than Newton and Flacco and Cam and Joe got over $20m apy too. As a matter of fact Flacco's apy is higher at $22m. He got what he deserved for market rate at his position.

Dont know what you are arguing... Said I didnt agree with it...meant...at first... Dont feel that way now... And stated that Wilson's contract now is a bargain in comparison what average QBs are making on the market.

Wilson proved what he needed to, without Lynch for much of the season, without Graham for the last 5, with a below average Oline, and with guys like Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett (rookie) , Willson, and Rawls (udfa rookie) as well as Michael (cut 3x in 15) and Brown and an ancient Fred Jackson.

If there was any year that was a prove it year for Russ it was his first year of his big contract where his cap hit was less than 8 million.

And I think its safe to say Russ established himself as a Elite QB in 2015. And his success wasnt just Lynch and Defense.

Addressing The Thread:

This thread is really is just a reminder of the few who disapproved some of the re-signings and the money Seahawks threw at some of thier players. Now, tempering with realization that Seahawks are getting great value for those deals. They arent overpaying an average player nor are they overpaying for an unproven player.

Sure they make mistakes such as Cary Williams but for every Williams you get bargains like Jackson and Rubin.

And what makes this FO vastly superior than most teams, they arent afraid to admit thier mistakes nor are they unwilling to just move on if need be.

The structure is great here from top to bottom... Its very hard to maintain success in this league unless youve got FO and Coached that can work together, and players that buy-in.

Sure not every move provides value and not every pick pans out. The bottom line though this is becoming the golden age of Seahawks football.

Just enjoy it. Ive seen people make mountain out of molehills, trash on decisions made or not made, worry about every single detail as well as demand players to be removed because it doesnt fit thier expectations.

That coincides with the constant moaning and groaning for each and every contract situation.

Ive seen very little in terms of optimism and a lot in terms of what the Seahawks can do to fail expectations.

Ive seen very little in terms of being excited about player development and growth and a lot on how players just wont or cant take that next step.

Ive seen a lot more people bitching about contracts and very little on congratulating on the FO making tough decisions and giving good deals.

And this is what this thread really is about just honoring a job well done.

And now honoring that ive never personally seen a team fight through adversity like the Seahawks have, ive never seen a team compete to win like the Seahawks have at thier worst, never giving up.

If I cant sit back and enjoy this era of Seahawks football, I might as well become a Houston Rockets fan.

#ThoseWilyTangents