Speculation on trade

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
I am wondering if a part of the reasoning behind trading with Denver was to ensure that Kap stayed with the 9ers. Looking at the picks we would have gotten from Dallas, in some ways would have been better as I am assuming their 3rd round pick was an early 3rd rounder and their second rounder was only 4 picks after Denvers first rounder. I would have considered that trade over the one we took with Denver, but keeping Colin in our division is a great move imo. What do you all think?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I've read that Cleveland had their eye on Ifedi... so Pete and John took Denver's offer and got their man.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Why would Seattle care about Kaep? I don't think that makes sense at all. It's more like the poster above, they thought someone would have scooped him up in those 4 picks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seriously don't believe Denver and Kaepernick had anything to do with it.

They wanted a lineman who they felt confident that they could get at 31 so they picked up a pick in the process.

If that endedd up working for them or not we'll never know (Garnett was also supposed to go in the 2nd and had been linked to the Seahawks for awhile now too), but Ifedi definitely fits their draft profile as well.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't think the trade had anything to do with Kap. It had to do with them thinking their man was going to be there at 31, as well as the fact that by picking in the first round we keep that 5th year option for 1st round rookie contracts. You lose that if you drop to the 2nd round.

mikeak

Reaction score
I agree with others. We wanted Garnett / Ifedinand was willing to live with the other and it worked out OR we wanted Garnett (or other player picked) and gambled and lost

Both are options and only FO knows

McGruff

Reaction score
I doubt Garnett was that high on our board. More than likely it was Ifedi, Butler and Nkemdiche in some order, and we were content to roll the dice with any of them.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
as has been said, it had nothing to do with kap.

We wanted Ifedi and wanted to make sure we got him. Having the 5th year option is nice too.

Also JS may have had this worked out with Denver for a while now "IF Lynch is there and theres a number of players the hawks wnat Ifedi being one, the deal is this."

Then when Dallas came calling late, their deal wasn't THAT much better to make JS reneg on the denver deal. JS's name around the league being important since we trade so ddang much.

kidhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2j6xwzw2 said:
I doubt Garnett was that high on our board. More than likely it was Ifedi, Butler and Nkemdiche in some order, and we were content to roll the dice with any of them.

Kind of my thoughts as well. They had multiple players that they felt were fairly equal in what they could bring to improve our team and felt comfortable enough getting them at 31, and maybe no so comfortable later. The fact that they didn't trade down again tells me that perhaps they already lost at least one of their possibilities waiting until 31 and decided to pull the trigger.

I'm really excited to see what we do with the 3 picks we have in the third round. I'm fairly positive we'll trade one of the two we have that are tradeable, but the question is do we trade it to move up in the 2nd....in the 3rd or move down to the 4th and collect more picks?

rideaducati

Reaction score
mikeak":2q3v2m2u said:
I agree with others. We wanted Garnett / Ifedinand was willing to live with the other and it worked out OR we wanted Garnett (or other player picked) and gambled and lost

Both are options and only FO knows

I seriously doubt that Baalke is smart enough to scoop John Schneider. Baalke got burned trying that before and ended up drafting a bad TE two rounds too early.

titan3131

Reaction score
the more logical explanation is that our other main suitor for trade was the cowboys.

Why help a NFC team when you can become BESTIES with a AFC team you only play in preseason or the SB.

What if Lynch becomes a probowler, you want him on a AFC not in our conference.

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":2xtfhixc said:
the more logical explanation is that our other main suitor for trade was the cowboys.

Why help a NFC team when you can become BESTIES with a AFC team you only play in preseason or the SB.

Becuase we are always making trades WITH NFC teams like the Vikings and Packers and Redskins.

titan3131

Reaction score
McGruff":okkt9rw0 said:
titan3131":okkt9rw0 said:

Becuase we are always making trades WITH NFC teams like the Vikings and Packers and Redskins.

im jsut saying the compensation was almsot the same

the boys offered a 2nd 4th and 6th

Broncos 3rd is essentially a 4th being right before the comp picks.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
sekiuHAWK":2utketb7 said:
I am wondering if a part of the reasoning behind trading with Denver was to ensure that Kap stayed with the 9ers.
Umm, no. The Seahawks make trades with their own team in mind, not the 49ers.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":1yz0rt0v said:

That's my theory as well.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
HawkFan72":bf40ubp6 said:
by picking in the first round we keep that 5th year option for 1st round rookie contracts. You lose that if you drop to the 2nd round.

This is why.

If you think seattle is making any decisions based on colin krapperdink you're crazy. he's a non factor. the 49ers are years away from competing again.

kf3339

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":7mdtn7m5 said:
I've read that Cleveland had their eye on Ifedi... so Pete and John took Denver's offer and got their man.

I think this makes more sense than any other reason. We just made sure to get him and picked up a 3rd. Great move!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I actually thought it was more about not having to see Paxton Lynch in the NFC.

I think that's only a slight consideration, but Dallas reportedly offered Seattle about the same as Denver, but you'd fall to the 2nd round. They tried to sweeten the pot and add more, but Seattle didn't return their call and pulled the trigger on the deal with Denver.

Schneider also talks about teams he has a good relationship with as being willing trade partners. Maybe he's like the rest of us, and doesn't like Jerry Jones.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
For a team that hasn't used the 5th year option on a player there sure are a lot of people talking about how valuable that is.

The opposite is actually true.

I believe it was Kearly who pointed out that when formulating the value for OL it includes ALL OL, which means the only way to possibly get value from the 5th year is if the OL is a good LT, otherwise you are basically giving LT money to someone who doesn't play LT.

For OL the 5th year option ends up working out A LOT like the franchise tag.

There is very little chance we use the 5th year option on him, regardless of how well he does. If he does really well we either sign him to an extension or he prices himself out of our budget and he leaves in FA.

It's just really really really unlikely the 5th year option ever comes into play