Doug Farrar....I Expected Better

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not so much due to the grade....opinions of draft picks are going to vary widely, but Doug should really know that we drafted Carpenter in 2011. :34853_doh:

31. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
GRADE: C
The Seahawks have had all sorts of issues with their offensive line over the last few seasons, so it's at least good that they're addressing it in the first round for the first time since they took Russell Okung in 2010. However, Ifedi is a bit of a tweener at this point: very strong in his run sets but a work in progress as a pass protector. Perhaps the idea is to move him inside or see how he'll work at right tackle, but this doesn't do much for the worst position group in the NFL.

[urltargetblank]http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/28/nfl-draft-grades-first-round-picks-results[/urltargetblank]

Largent80

Reaction score
Considering we lost our RG and LT, I would say we helped ourselves TREMENDOUSLY. We get an SEC starting RT at #31. Plus got a 3rd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....We still have 9 picks and a probable starter for the line.

A solid A.

kearly

Reaction score
I've been pretty hard on Tom Cable, but he's generally done well with players who have super long arms. Okung protected very well when he was healthy, Frank Omiyale protected much better here than he did elsewhere, and Alvin Bailey looked pretty good early on while he was still giving a shit.

Ifedi has quick feet and 36" arms. He has the build of an NFL tackle. He's got stuff to clean up, but his tools allow him to get away with more mistakes than a tackle with average tools could.

Strictly in terms of tools, Ifedi compares well to Russell Okung.

ZornwasaleftY

Reaction score
31. Germain Ifedi, OT/G, Texas A&M A- Grade

If the Seahawks had stayed put and chosen Germain Ifedi at No. 26, I would've given this a solid "B" grade. It's a very logical pick. Ifedi is the sort of athletic player the Seahawks covet. He also fills a big need. Russell Wilson's pass protection was disastrous last season, and it was bound to get even worse with Russell Okung gone. Taking an offensive lineman early was a must.

This "B" turns into an A- because of the trade. The Seahawks were targeting Ifedi all along at No. 26, so it's outstanding that they were able to move down and still acquire him.

Follow @walterfootball for updates.

This grade makes a lot more sense - and comes from a sight that I actually read. It's nice when they actually take into account the trade down factor.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Doug Farrar is wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time either.

Ifedi is a good solid safe pick, sweetened all the more with the extra 3rd . The pick answers a big need was the best available pick on the OLine at the time. What more does Doug want? I give the pick a solid A.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
ZornwasaleftY":2xxwde0z said:
31. Germain Ifedi, OT/G, Texas A&M A- Grade

If the Seahawks had stayed put and chosen Germain Ifedi at No. 26, I would've given this a solid "B" grade. It's a very logical pick. Ifedi is the sort of athletic player the Seahawks covet. He also fills a big need. Russell Wilson's pass protection was disastrous last season, and it was bound to get even worse with Russell Okung gone. Taking an offensive lineman early was a must.

This "B" turns into an A- because of the trade. The Seahawks were targeting Ifedi all along at No. 26, so it's outstanding that they were able to move down and still acquire him.

Follow @walterfootball for updates.

This grade makes a lot more sense - and comes from a sight that I actually read. It's nice when they actually take into account the trade down factor.

That's well said. I agree, Ifedi + 3rd Round pick is a tremendous use of No. 26.

I believe Ifedi and Spriggs have the high ceilings to become the best OTs in this class when we look back four years from now.

drdiags

Reaction score
I thought the main point of the OP was that Doug listed Okung as the last 1st round OL the Seahawks have picked, forgetting to acknowledge Carpenter being drafted in the 1st round the next year?

As far as how he projects Efedi vs other 2016 draft prospects, Doug has invested quite a bit into his player projections so I figure he is trapped by his published opinion of a player. He has a different audience he is speaking to from where he was 5 yrs ago.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Funny cause I've heard at least two other "experts" on the radio say the exact opposite, that because of A&M's pass first spread offense Ifedi was a better pass protector than run blocker.

Make up your minds experts, maybe do a group hug consensus pow wow before everyone releases their oft inaccurate draft grades.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
drdiags":2qbj0f9l said:
I thought the main point of the OP was that Doug listed Okung as the last 1st round OL the Seahawks have picked, forgetting to acknowledge Carpenter being drafted in the 1st round the next year?

As far as how he projects Efedi vs other 2016 draft prospects, Doug has invested quite a bit into his player projections so I figure he is trapped by his published opinion of a player. He has a different audience he is speaking to from where he was 5 yrs ago.

Yup. Doug is wrong on his facts. He tried to be clever, but ended up just being sloppy.

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
I just posted about Doug in a separate post. Doug has always gotten his facts wrong... This is yet another example of why he was always wrong. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Doug used to post on an old version of this site? I read negative crap by Doug all the time when I am looking for fantasy news... There is no way he should be working for SI (or yahoo, or any media outlet)...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Meh, how he rates Ifedi isn't altogether wrong based upon available information, but I think he's purposely ignoring how we moved down and still got our man. Not really sure what he expected at #31 anyhow.

I'm very hopeful about Ifedi after hearing our area scout talk about him finishing blocks and putting some big school, big name defenders on the turf...Most players just do the bare minimum by not really engaging very long in that spread offense.
He brings just the type of nastiness we need, and if Cable says his pass blocking deficiencies are an "easy cleanup" than I have no reason to doubt him. Another intangible that could pay in spades is he was the unquestioned alpha dog on that OL. I really don't think we had a very strong leader on the OL after Unger left and even Max wasn't very vocal...too laid back, IMO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sekiuHAWK":pweb0jnz said:
I just posted about Doug in a separate post. Doug has always gotten his facts wrong... This is yet another example of why he was always wrong. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Doug used to post on an old version of this site? I read negative crap by Doug all the time when I am looking for fantasy news... There is no way he should be working for SI (or yahoo, or any media outlet)...
Yes. I don't hate the guy, but, he thinks he knows more than he really does. I take things he says with a grain of salt, as I do with most of the self proclaimed "experts". I think we have more accurate folks who post here on a regular basis.

chris98251

Reaction score
Which is why he got into pissing contests here so much. Hated being told he was wrong.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm still blocked on his Twitter account for disagreeing with him on something. Insecure individual.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Doug Farrar
Grade: D

More likable then than now. Has some insights but not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.