10 Reasons To Be Optimistic About Ifedi

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I get it alot of you grossly detest Ifedi as the pick but the Seahawks felt strong enough about him to make him part of the team. At this point, as fans we have the right to moan and groan at who the pick should have been, but im much more optimistic than than that. The most important thing to understand is that Cable probably doesnt care much about college tape and cares more about elite meaures, grit, and potential as the college game for Oline is much different in the NFL.

But on to the optimism:

1. Seahawks drafted to secure not only depth but a possible future cornerstone on the Oline at a need.

2. Seahawks still secured 5th year option for a player, not only that according to International Buisness Times and thier numbers the #26 slot was expected to earn $9.66m and the #32 slot is expected to earn $8.45m. Seahawks saved a little money if they were going to draft Ifedi at #26.

3. Not only did the Seahawks save a little money but they also added a third round pick only moving down 5 slots. Whether they move up or down, more picks is always great for a team looking to add depth and competition in the trenches.

4. You cant coach elite size and length. Ifedi stands 6'6, 325, with 36 in arm length and 10 3/4 mitts, adding up to a 84.75 wing span per 3sigmaathletes.com. That wingspan is 7 FEET wide!

5. You also can't coach superior athleticism with a player who is still only 21 years old. The kid is still growing and getting stronger and is far from his NFL strength and body.

Yet, Ifedi ranked 22nd out of all collegiate linemen in Whitman's pSparg that produced a pro day or combine event with enough performing qualifers. To put that in perspective Conklin was 48th, Stanley was 61st, and Decker was 90th.

Of the 21 linemen ahead of Ifedi, only two others had a round 2 projection: Spriggs ranked 10th (1-2) and McGovern ranked 12th (2-4).

6. Stanton's weighted TEF formula also ranks Spriggs, McGovern, and Ifedi as the top 3 scores.

My own weighted TEF formula which accounts for Bench Reps to Arm Length discrepancies and puts a different premium on the Vert and Broad Jumps to weight discrepancies closed the gap significantly between Spriggs and Ifedi. With Ifedi scoring better than McGovern. You can see my math and logic here:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=125111

7. So in comparison to Spriggs pretty much the only other tackle on the board with a 1st round grade, what Ifedi offers over Spriggs is much more versatility. Spriggs is probably an LT at this point at his size and experience. Ifedi's is much more versatile and can challenge immediately at RT, RG. Has the size to figure in at LG, and the athleticism and length to be an LT down the road if needed. But im also high on Gilliam to lock that position down.

8. Ifedi at this point is a moldable ball of clay but much different than any other clay project Cable has had to mold.

Ifedi is still fundamentally and technically raw where his bad habits can be coached out coming out of program where he didnt necessarily fit in what the system does. You cant coach raw athleticism, and elite length/size but you sure can coach technique and fundamentals.

And despite opinion on Cable, he is still one of the best in the biz, proven by the fact that the linemen that have been good enough to stick around and perhaps tough enough are getting good contracts on other teams and some of his developmental guys have been poached off the PS or claimed on waivers.

However, the biggest reason hes different is while hes still raw, hes not converting entirely from scratch i.e. TE, DL convert. Ifedi has 37 starts in the SEC as an Offensive Linemen. Hes raw or flawed but still very experienced and battle tested in the most dominant conference. Not to mention practicing against Myles Garrett.

9. Some guys are likening Ifedi to Carp, but coming out Ifedi seems more athletic, smarter, carries his weight better, much quicker feet, more natural in Right O-line footwork, even stronger considering Ifedi did more 1 more rep at a longer arm length. And produced more explosive jumps.

Even if that wasnt the case: Carp came into the NFL during the lockout, having to speed up his development in training camp in which he was unprepared and overweight. He had to switch left to right and was cuffed to another rookie starter in Mofitt at RG. Carp then suffered two big injury setbacks to opposite knees in consecutive years. Carp pretty much lost 3 years of off-season training and development.

Not only that but Ifedi doesnt need to start barring injury until hes ready or if he proves to be the better option. Everyone here is going to throw expectations on him and judge him but with Britt and Webb having experience, you have the luxury to get this guy fundamentally sound.

Ifedi also have people in his corner, he likened Patrick Lewis as a mentor and having Lewis here will help him get acclimated much quicker. Not only that I think there are 4-5 more Aggies within the roster including Michael Bennett. Those guys will help him be a pro and be a nucleus of support for him... A luxury Carp didnt necessarilly have at least immediately.

10. Ifedi not only touches the bases for elite athleticism, size, and length...but hits it out of the park... In terms off the intangibles Cable looks for: tough, physical, and nasty mindset. Smart and calculated which lends to the belief that he can be very coachable. And despite the fact that hes more quiet and more reserved than outspoken, Ifedi was voted as a team captain as a junior... Lending to the fact he was well respected amongst his peers and probably leads by example leading to the belief that hes a very hard worker on and off the field.

Not only that, Ifedi's time in the spread system will help him here imo even though it weakened his diposition as prospect. Seahawks went spread a lot more on Wilson's historical tear in 2015 which also coincided with Patrick Lewis taking over at OC. They also introduced the spread offense with Harvin in 2014 and a lot of Linemen struggled imo in those concepts particularly Carp and Britt.

Lastly, Ifedi's experience with Manziel will definately help him get quickly accustomed to the playing style of Russell Wilson. And that imo is important and underrated aspect. Wilson gets crazy, linemen need to familiarize and prepare themselves for those tendencies of randomness. You can also use that logic as a part of the reasoning how Patrick Lewis was able to establish himself here despite a lack of size, length, and overall athleticism.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2u0bhgh6 said:
I get it alot of you grossly detest Ifedi as the pick but the Seahawks felt strong enough about him to make him part of the team. At this point, as fans we have the right to moan and groan at who the pick should have been, but im much more optimistic than than that. The most important thing to understand is that Cable probably doesnt care much about college tape and cares more about elite meaures, grit, and potential as the college game for Oline is much different in the NFL.

But on to the optimism:

1. Seahawks drafted to secure not only depth but a possible future cornerstone on the Oline at a need.

2. Seahawks still secured 5th year option for a player, not only that according to International Buisness Times and thier numbers the #26 slot was expected to earn $9.66m and the #32 slot is expected to earn $8.45m. Seahawks saved a little money if they were going to draft Ifedi at #26.

3. Not only did the Seahawks save a little money but they also added a third round pick only moving down 5 slots. Whether they move up or down, more picks is always great for a team looking to add depth and competition in the trenches.

4. You cant coach elite size and length. Ifedi stands 6'6, 325, with 36 in arm length and 10 3/4 mitts, adding up to a 84.75 wing span per 3sigmaathletes.com. That wingspan is 7 FEET wide!

5. You also can't coach superior athleticism with a player who is still only 21 years old. The kid is still growing and getting stronger and is far from his NFL strength and body.

Yet, Ifedi ranked 22nd out of all collegiate linemen in Whitman's pSparg that produced a pro day or combine event with enough performing qualifers. To put that in perspective Conklin was 48th, Stanley was 61st, and Decker was 90th.

Of the 21 linemen ahead of Ifedi, only two others had a round 2 projection: Spriggs ranked 10th (1-2) and McGovern ranked 12th (2-4).

6. Stanton's weighted TEF formula also ranks Spriggs, McGovern, and Ifedi as the top 3 scores.

My own weighted TEF formula which accounts for Bench Reps to Arm Length discrepancies and puts a different premium on the Vert and Broad Jumps to weight discrepancies closed the gap significantly between Spriggs and Ifedi. With Ifedi scoring better than McGovern. You can see my math and logic here:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=125111

7. So in comparison to Spriggs pretty much the only other tackle on the board with a 1st round grade, what Ifedi offers over Spriggs is much more versatility. Spriggs is probably an LT at this point at his size and experience. Ifedi's is much more versatile and can challenge immediately at RT, RG. Has the size to figure in at LG, and the athleticism and length to be an LT down the road if needed. But im also high on Gilliam to lock that position down.

8. Ifedi at this point is a moldable ball of clay but much different than any other clay project Cable has had to mold.

Ifedi is still fundamentally and technically raw where his bad habits can be coached out coming out of program where he didnt necessarily fit in what the system does. You cant coach raw athleticism, and elite length/size but you sure can coach technique and fundamentals.

And despite opinion on Cable, he is still one of the best in the biz, proven by the fact that the linemen that have been good enough to stick around and perhaps tough enough are getting good contracts on other teams and some of his developmental guys have been poached off the PS or claimed on waivers.

However, the biggest reason hes different is while hes still raw, hes not converting entirely from scratch i.e. TE, DL convert. Ifedi has 37 starts in the SEC as an Offensive Linemen. Hes raw or flawed but still very experienced and battle tested in the most dominant conference. Not to mention practicing against Myles Garrett.

9. Some guys are likening Ifedi to Carp, but coming out Ifedi seems more athletic, smarter, carries his weight better, much quicker feet, more natural in Right O-line footwork, even stronger considering Ifedi did more 1 more rep at a longer arm length. And produced more explosive jumps.

Even if that wasnt the case: Carp came into the NFL during the lockout, having to speed up his development in training camp in which he was unprepared and overweight. He had to switch left to right and was cuffed to another rookie starter in Mofitt at RG. Carp then suffered two big injury setbacks to opposite knees in consecutive years. Carp pretty much lost 3 years of off-season training and development.

Not only that but Ifedi doesnt need to start barring injury until hes ready or if he proves to be the better option. Everyone here is going to throw expectations on him and judge him but with Britt and Webb having experience, you have the luxury to get this guy fundamentally sound.

Ifedi also have people in his corner, he likened Patrick Lewis as a mentor and having Lewis here will help him get acclimated much quicker. Not only that I think there are 4-5 more Aggies within the roster including Michael Bennett. Those guys will help him be a pro and be a nucleus of support for him... A luxury Carp didnt necessarilly have at least immediately.

10. Ifedi not only touches the bases for elite athleticism, size, and length...but hits it out of the park... In terms off the intangibles Cable looks for: tough, physical, and nasty mindset. Smart and calculated which lends to the belief that he can be very coachable. And despite the fact that hes more quiet and more reserved than outspoken, Ifedi was voted as a team captain as a junior... Lending to the fact he was well respected amongst his peers and probably leads by example leading to the belief that hes a very hard worker on and off the field.

Not only that, Ifedi's time in the spread system will help him here imo even though it weakened his diposition as prospect. Seahawks went spread a lot more on Wilson's historical tear in 2015 which also coincided with Patrick Lewis taking over at OC. They also introduced the spread offense with Harvin in 2014 and a lot of Linemen struggled imo in those concepts particularly Carp and Britt.

Lastly, Ifedi's experience with Manziel will definately help him get quickly accustomed to the playing style of Russell Wilson. And that imo is important and underrated aspect. Wilson gets crazy, linemen need to familiarize and prepare themselves for those tendencies of randomness. You can also use that logic as a part of the reasoning how Patrick Lewis was able to establish himself here despite a lack of size, length, and overall athleticism.

Great post and points. Thanks for taking the time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Good post and read, just wondering what else we throw into this mix.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Great post and ten reasons I'll take to heart. Can't wait to see who else they draft today and tomorrow, for the O-line in particular. Will be a fun ride to see what happens with the O-line this year.

hawk45

Reaction score
The points about securing the 5th year and adding another pick would have been true if they traded down and selected ANY player.

Having mentors and not having to start immediately also would have been true for any OL selected.

Drafting for need would have applied to any OL player selected. Ditto "possible cornerstone", presumably, if they took the player in the first round.

"Moldable" isn't an absolute positive, only a relative one. The ideal player would have the physical attributes and be polished. I'll grant that "moldable" is better than already possessing *bad* habits, but it still is a stretch to put lack of refinement on the positive side of the ledger rather than on the neutral side.

So I didn't see much meat on the bone in terms of reasons to be optimistic for Ifedi specifically other than his size and athleticism, which are both obvious characteristics that I haven't seen disputed (okay other than a Carp comparison).

I love the pick because a gifted specimen at a position of need who actually played the position before is far, far better than we've been getting at the OL lately. I don't know if I'm sold on trusting Cable with a SPARQ approach like Pete can be trusted on the defensive side, however. Not when it comes to developing a guy who can pass block. Although arguing against myself one recent example in Cable's favor would be Gilliam (although I do not think we can reasonably expect Gilliam to resume his progression at LT where he left off at RT).

Put it this way, Cable's halfway-decent pass-protecting OLs were comprised of 3/5 players who were ready-to-go before Cable ever touched them (Okung, Unger, Giacomini). To me this argues for shopping for more polished groceries for Cable, at least at some spots on the line.

But we did bring in some vets for competition who will be ready-to-go for good or for ill, and Ifedi is undeniably physically exciting, so I'm fairly pumped. Just seeing that we drafted OL high is a shot in the arm.

kearly

Reaction score
I think a good comparison for Ifedi is to say that he's a blend of Russell Okung and Breno Giacomini. He's got the long arms, big frame, quick feet, and the intelligence of Russell Okung, and he's got nastiness and technique flaws similar to Breno.

Ifedi's combination of traits makes him a prototypical RT for Tom Cable. Don't take my word for it, just ask scouts from other NFL teams who have been saying this Ifedi for some time now.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Okung was a left tackle coming out of Oak State. He was the best Oline man on his own team. Ifedi was not the best tackle on his own team so other than size I don't see the comparison.
Ifedi may well develop into a great pick and our best tackle. The problem is that we need pass protection now. Right now.. we don't need to develop it over the next couple of seasons we need it now. How optimistic are you that Tom Cable can develop anyone into a pass protector that's not already good at it? Cable just hasn't showed that ability.

I hope tonight and the rest of this draft we get hold of a tackle or two with maybe less upside but that already understand pass protection. Players that can have our QB' s back this season while our projects develop into future all pro's.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
do people actually detest this pick? I haven't been paying a lot of attention.

It's a solid pick on a safe guy with seemingly good character and an appreciation for his opportunity while maybe not the highest ceiling but also a high floor, at a position of need that you got at the end of the 1st round for the lowest possible salary while still being able to exercise a 5th year option and you also got a free 3rd round pick out of the deal.

What's NOT to like?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3blzdcke said:
Okung was a left tackle coming out of Oak State. He was the best Oline man on his own team. Ifedi was not the best tackle on his own team so other than size I don't see the comparison.
Ifedi may well develop into a great pick and our best tackle. The problem is that we need pass protection now. Right now.. we don't need to develop it over the next couple of seasons we need it now. How optimistic are you that Tom Cable can develop anyone into a pass protector that's not already good at it? Cable just hasn't showed that ability.

I hope tonight and the rest of this draft we get hold of a tackle or two with maybe less upside but that already understand pass protection. Players that can have our QB' s back this season while our projects develop into future all pro's.

From what I have been reading Ifedi comes from an offense that did a lot of passing and it's the running game he'll need to work on. I think it was a Cable interview in which Cable said it was the stepping forward and not the step backward taken in the pass protection he'll be coaching up.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
v1rotv2":1c5nrhhp said:
brimsalabim":1c5nrhhp said:

From what I have been reading Ifedi comes from an offense that did a lot of passing and it's the running game he'll need to work on. I think it was a Cable interview in which Cable said it was the stepping forward and not the step backward taken in the pass protection he'll be coaching up.

Texas A&M had a balanced offense. 51/49 run vs. pass.

Ifedi's issues all revolve around improving his technique. As he showed in his bowl game, the potential is there for him to be a nasty road grader and solid pass protector.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2m300oop said:
But on to the optimism:
I like optimism! Thanks so much for taking the time and putting in the effort for that write-up, I really appreciate it.