So Much For "Best Athlete Available"

dogorama

Reaction score
So far we have drafted not only for need but in the order for that need.

1st pick: No brainer, we needed help at OL, particularly at tackle.

2nd pick: We needed a replacement for Mebane to stuff the run.

3rd pick: We needed help at RB in case Rawls doesn't return to form.

4th pick: TE, same situation as Rawls w/uncertainty over Jimmy

This isn't a criticism because it looks like a great draft.

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't agree with our draft aligning with the order of our needs. I think OLB is a bigger need than a blocking TE or a 3rd down RB, but I'm happy with those picks.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Erebus":1m5lg5az said:
I don't agree with our draft aligning with the order of our needs. I think OLB is a bigger need than a blocking TE or a 3rd down RB, but I'm happy with those picks.

You're assuming that Graham and Rawls will return to form and that these are situational players, but there is no guarantee that either of these players will return to their previous capabilities...AND apparently the coaching staff does not agree with your assessment of need at OLB. That doesn't mean you aren't right, and I wouldn't be surprised if we pick LB's in later rounds.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I would have loved

either

A. Nkemdiche 1, move up to grab Ifedi in the second

or

B. Still trade back, grab Myles Jack, trade up for Oline in the second.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
dogorama":3k13v0gc said:
Erebus":3k13v0gc said:

You're assuming that Graham and Rawls will return to form and that these are situational players, but there is no guarantee that either of these players will return to their previous capabilities...AND apparently the coaching staff does not agree with your assessment of need at OLB. That doesn't mean you aren't right, and I wouldn't be surprised if we pick LB's in later rounds.

This year looks closer to need and BPA aligning in may cases. One must also consider that team 'fit' plays a larger roll in how the hawks have players valued on their board, so BPA for them could very well be different from others.

For instance, the blocking TE they have been looking for since Miller left fits their offense to a T AND will help the fledgling OL run block as well as keep Russell protected. That is both value and need. Next, the run stopper from Alabama was arguably the best player available at the spot the Hawks selected him, but he also filled a pretty important need with Mebane gone. Ifedi came at the bottom of the 1st, but was obviously among the players the Hawks regarded as first-round talent. Further, if they were drafting purely for need, you would have seen a lot of reaches, and I don't thing we've seen any of that.