Seahawks are killing this draft.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The first 4 picks all look like potential starters with 2 possible pro bowlers in Reed and Ifedi. This is a reload BPA meat and potatoes draft and man have they made the most of there board.

seafence82

Reaction score
Could not agree more, haven't felt this good since the 2012 draft. Going in i wanted 2-3 OL with a OT and OG/C, 1-2 DL with a run stopping and/or bad-ass 3 tech, complete TE, 3rd down rb difference maker, FB, then OLB/CB/Safety and it looks like we got amazing value with each pick so far. Even the BSU guy looks elite in space which fits our system.

Hard to say we didn't address our weakness/depth with star potential at each position we drafted. Was stoked for Efedi since he has all pro potential at a position we need long term, but i feel like if he is a bust we will still be happy.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I don't think there are any pro bowlers in this draft so far. I think there are much needed, solid role players. Ifedi probably has the best shot to develop into a Pro Bowler if I had to guess.

Reed is a run stuffer and I don't see that changing in the NFL. Very good player and will fit a valuable role on the roster, slotting in for Mebane. But I would be surprised if he turns into a star.

Prosise is too raw and his role will be too limited to be a star unless he drastically develops. He's going to have his moments, hopefully enough where he justifies his draft position, but I don't see him ever being a star.

Vannett is a blocking TE. If we're lucky, he'll turn into Zach Miller.

And Rees will be lucky to make the team. I think he was picked where he was because Seattle was targeting Clark and there was deflation in the room when Indy took him. JS also threw away a draft card. So I think Seattle just moved their next OL up (who probably would've been there in the 5th) and pulled the trigger.

I'm sure some of that will read as negative, but that was what this draft was shaping up to be. I didn't feel like it was an allstar draft. Just a deep draft where you can find the middle class of your team. Those guys that are great to have, needed contributors, but will mostly play out their rookie contracts and move on. It makes me happy that every single pick has come with a plan. No crazy experiments by trying Ifedi and LT. No crazy athletes that they want to play around with to see if they can find a spot. Each player fits into a specific role that will help them see time early. A nice change from the 2013/2014 drafts which felt like a draft mostly of players that didn't have clear paths onto the team.

If one of these guys surprises I'll be ecstatic, but if we take out the hope and look at the realistic projections and think we have found 3 players that will see significant time their rookie season (Ifedi, Reed, Vannett) which is already a win for me.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think people are missing the CJ was also named the top ST player his first two years, and led the ST in tackles. Not saying he'll be a star, a but a solid ST player and above average 3rd down back could be in the cards for him.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3n4bgcik said:
I don't think there are any pro bowlers in this draft so far. I think there are much needed, solid role players. Ifedi probably has the best shot to develop into a Pro Bowler if I had to guess.

Reed is a run stuffer and I don't see that changing in the NFL. Very good player and will fit a valuable role on the roster, slotting in for Mebane. But I would be surprised if he turns into a star.

Prosise is too raw and his role will be too limited to be a star unless he drastically develops. He's going to have his moments, hopefully enough where he justifies his draft position, but I don't see him ever being a star.

Vannett is a blocking TE. If we're lucky, he'll turn into Zach Miller.

And Rees will be lucky to make the team. I think he was picked where he was because Seattle was targeting Clark and there was deflation in the room when Indy took him. JS also threw away a draft card. So I think Seattle just moved their next OL up (who probably would've been there in the 5th) and pulled the trigger.

I'm sure some of that will read as negative, but that was what this draft was shaping up to be. I didn't feel like it was an allstar draft. Just a deep draft where you can find the middle class of your team. Those guys that are great to have, needed contributors, but will mostly play out their rookie contracts and move on. It makes me happy that every single pick has come with a plan. No crazy experiments by trying Ifedi and LT. No crazy athletes that they want to play around with to see if they can find a spot. Each player fits into a specific role that will help them see time early. A nice change from the 2013/2014 drafts which felt like a draft mostly of players that didn't have clear paths onto the team.

If one of these guys surprises I'll be ecstatic, but if we take out the hope and look at the realistic projections and think we have found 3 players that will see significant time their rookie season (Ifedi, Reed, Vannett) which is already a win for me.

Reed is the best run stuffer our SE scout has seen in a long time. He was the 13-19 overall player. He may not or may not be a probowler but he is a stud at what he does....AND he wasn't asked to rush the passer so none of us know about that aspect of his game. He will be our Vince Wilfork..and I'm fine w that. Run stuffers don't get the spotlight but you have to stop the run..

Prosice is raw I agree but the sky is the limit. He has elite game speed and acceleration w soft hands. I love this pick

Vannett is the best run blocking TE.. I've read separation may be an issue but his 3cone is excellent so maybe there is hope there

Rees from several scouts has pro bowl potential .. I believe this was from Teamstream article but I could be mistaken as everything started to run together at 1am. Shorter than ideal arms but ran a pro offense and Cable said he (and Ifedi) were two of the strongest he worked out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Rees lucky to make the team? Huh? He's starting is my prediction and if not out of the gate will be at some point soon. Seahawks have absolutely killed this draft. After a couple of questionable drafts I've loved the last two drafts.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
austinslater25":1icwjeph said:
Rees lucky to make the team? Huh? He's starting is my prediction and if not out of the gate will be at some point soon. Seahawks have absolutely killed this draft. After a couple of questionable drafts I've loved the last two drafts.

Yes.. I'm much more comfortable starting Rees than Britt

NYCoug

Reaction score
The only possible way they can kill it anymore is it if they draft Connor McGovern to play center. Think of that guard/center tandem, Rees and Connor... the Terminators.

Make it happen, JS!

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
NYCoug":1am4nb8o said:
The only possible way they can kill it anymore is it if they draft Connor McGovern to play center. Think of that guard/center tandem, Rees and Connor... the Terminators.

Make it happen, JS!

Or Billings

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
austinslater25":3dln53rk said:

Yes.. I'm much more comfortable starting Rees than Britt

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I feel they are getting EVRYTHING they want. That is why they are hitting it out of the park.
Trading down in first and getting same guy you want. Trading up two differnt times to go get the guys you want. Getting good trade down value and not leveraging the farm to trade up.
There will be many people here who will not like there picks but lets remember. Pete and John are and have been doing this at a high level for a while and the naysayers are just posting on this forum like they have any real idea how to evaluate talent other than highlight films.
If Pete and John are getting who they want then I am good with that. A+

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I really like what the Seahawks are doing this draft - they've picked 3 guys that I wanted them to pick pre-draft:

Jarran Reed, Nick Vannett, and Alex Collins. All guys that can come in and be impact players.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I'm loving this draft!

Reed will be a monster!
Vannett is very underrated!
Ifedi is legit!
Rees will be solid!
Collins will replace Michael!

redhawk253

Reaction score
I loved our 1st 2 picks.. the 3rd round was attrocious however.. big drop off in talent at oline since we picked 2 positions we were already good at. The te is a receiving te.. graham and wilson not enough? Rb... rawls is expected to be ready for season and imo he showed more than gurley last year in terms of versatility and consistency. Plus michaels is a serviceable backup.. beyond the fact that we generally do well with undrafted fas at rb... and another late rb selection.

I honestly cant help but think we picked some guys for a trade thats already been made behind closed doors that cannot be announced yet as we dont have the cap space with lynch still on the books to absorb a big contract like say.. joe thomas.. and the rb and te selections would make sense for the browns....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JSeahawks

Reaction score
redhawk253":3nu63i8q said:
I loved our 1st 2 picks.. the 3rd round was attrocious however.. big drop off in talent at oline since we picked 2 positions we were already good at. The te is a receiving te.. graham and wilson not enough? Rb... rawls is expected to be ready for season and imo he showed more than gurley last year in terms of versatility and consistency. Plus michaels is a serviceable backup.. beyond the fact that we generally do well with undrafted fas at rb... and another late rb selection.

I honestly cant help but think we picked some guys for a trade thats already been made behind closed doors that cannot be announced yet as we dont have the cap space with lynch still on the books to absorb a big contract like say.. joe thomas.. and the rb and te selections would make sense for the browns....

The tight end is more of a beast blocker the a receiver.

redhawk253

Reaction score
JSeahawks":25neionn said:
redhawk253":25neionn said:

The tight end is more of a beast blocker the a receiver.
Coulda fooled me. I watched his highlights.. whiffed a lot of blocks.. majority focussed on his receiving

Listed strengths all focus on his receiving.. listed weaknesses all begin with his blocking

Comparisson is zach ertz...

Not a beast blocker at all by the look aNd sound of it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So far, I would disagree.

I am going to bet that 4 years from now, very few of these players will be starters - and those that are will be like Patrick Lewis, guys we are using because we need the versatility but really aren't going to move the need.

This was a draft where you get some workhorses, but we either clearly don't see any thoroughbreds in this draft that we can get or we perplexingly went away from our draft strategy, the one that has worked for us in making the team a SB contender in the first place.

You don't draft for need, you draft to get the guys that will be your home runs for you, and you draft to get the guys that you think will be the best at their position in the field.

It is much easier to find an average player at any position than it is to find a difference maker. So you have to take the chance of getting a difference maker - whether it fills a hole or not.

So one of two things is going on here, either the Seahawks are inexplicably going away from their normal strategy to fill holes with players that frankly don't look like they are going to land on any pro bowl lists, or the Seahawks see this draft as deep in good players but thin in the guys that could be great. So you don't take a bunch of upside guys, because the upside isn't that high and the risk vs reward options are really bad vs other years.

So are the great players in the draft (entire draft) are spread thin? Is there is a lot of depth in the draft, but very few home runs? Or are the Seahawks just stuck and feel like they have no choice but to fill holes because they don't feel they can even get average effective performance from free agents (as pointed out, the choice between Pot Roast and our 2nd draft pick is a prime example).

Maybe they are not taking as many chances on upside, because there isn't much upside to take a chance on.

Even worse, with a secondary being a requisite for being a SB contender and a pass rush being one of the few things that can offset (besides a secondary) a good QB - we completely ignored those. Even though our secondary is still a ? and even though our inability to pressure the QB likely killed us last year. So no talent there or is the talent just so in demand that even the diamonds in the rough are taken.

Finally, the fact that all the experts seem to agree this is a great draft for us, is the last piece that makes me concerned. They tend to be wrong more than right about those grades, and almost all our good drafts were not lauded until later. Not a great sign.

This might be one of those crap years where we get some roster guys and some role players, but I don't see any household names coming out of it. I would be happy to be wrong, but it feels like we took a few steps back on this one.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Well, since I was spot on re: Wilson, Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, Jeremy Lane, Sweezy, et al (heck I'll even through in Bennett, Baldwin and Rawls, cuz I saw them all coming), it means even more when I say I'm extremely disappointed with the 2016 draft.

Latest posts