Enough Pass Rushers on the Roster?

A-Dog

Reaction score
So far this has been a very good looking draft, but a huge concern (to me) is that our pass rush has not improved, and in fact with Irvin gone is arguably worse than last year.

Pete and John might just be banking on guys like Frank Clark and Jordan Hill to develop but if there's one big gaping hole I see in this offseason it's that we haven't upgraded the pass rush (I am not banking on Chris Clemons to have much of an impact, if he even makes the team).

Who are the best pass rushers still left on the board?

titan3131

Reaction score
I have a creeping suspicion that Jarran Reed has a hidden pocket collapsing talent...

I still want uss to check out Brandin Bryant tomorrow.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I think Clark and Marsh will be a big help at filling that need. If what's been mentioned is true, Marsh as a LEO is very intriguing. That being said, I'd still like to see pass rush addressed tomorrow.

kearly

Reaction score
titan3131":lpnywb1k said:
I have a creeping suspicion that Jarran Reed has a hidden pocket collapsing talent...

Reed's a weird one. His run defense is elite, which would indicate strength. However, his bull rush ability is pitifully bad. He also lacks the ability to shed pass blocks.

He has a very fast first step, but doesn't have any of the complimentary abilities to turn that step into pressures or sacks.

If you hate watching QBs stand in the pocket all day, you won't like this pick. He's very much a pure run defense guy.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":3tasjppt said:
titan3131":3tasjppt said:

Reed's a weird one. His run defense is elite, which would indicate strength. However, his bull rush ability is pitifully bad. He also lacks the ability to shed pass blocks.

He has a very fast first step, but doesn't have any of the complimentary abilities to turn that step into pressures or sacks.

If you hate watching QBs stand in the pocket all day, you won't like this pick. He's very much a pure run defense guy.

Although I don't disagree with this, I think he's capable of bringing some pressure. He was relegated to holding his ground against double teams, because Alabama had pass rushers coming out their ears.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yep he faced constant double teams and played his role in a defense filled with stars. Pass rush won't be his specialty but I think he is more capable than his college tape suggests. When Seattle shuts down the run we tend to win games. He's going to allow Clark and others to do some things as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Marsh will be going into his 3rd year with the first one injured. He flashed some promise last year and Clark could beast out, not worried at all. Plus we had so many other needs that have been addressed already.

pehawk

Reaction score
titan3131":17cizx22 said:

I still want uss to check out Brandin Bryant tomorrow.

Yup. Mebane wrecked pockets when/if given the chance. The pass rush improved yesterday.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on Reed to get a lot of sacks, or even a ton of pressure, but guys like Reed get double teams. Taking on two blockers is important as it can free up someone else to get a better one on one situation and with a well timed blitz, could see some guys go in unblocked.

Just because a guy doesn't get the pressure doesn't mean he doesn't help the pass rush. And just because he didn't do it well in college doesn't mean he won't improve at the next level.

Own The West

Reaction score
My understanding of our pass rush woes last year is that we lost that interior pressure that allowed QBs to step up and avoid our ends. Hill's injury and Mebane's age left us thin/soft in the middle.

We probably need one more body for depth, but Reed and Rubin should give us back the strong push on 1-2 down that made our defense click in 2013-14. And a fresh(er) Bennett and Hill will give us our interior pressure on passing downs.

With our 4 remaining picks, I think we will grab DL, LB, DB, and QB projects.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Irvin wasn't used to rush the passer very often which is why he wanted to leave. He is now talking like the Raiders are going to use him to rush the passer. I think he will do well "if" they utilize his talents better than Seattle did and let him rush the passer.

massari

Reaction score
scifly":agqebycw said:
Easy. Bring in Greg Hardy
That would be interesting if they can get him for insanely cheap and just release him without much dead money as soon as he acts out or doesn't fit in the locker room.

Don't know if he's worth the distraction, bad PR / bad image it'd create for the franchise.

Seafan

Reaction score
David Perkins and Ryan Robinson are another couple of camp bodies who might impress with their pass rush.

titan3131

Reaction score
Seafan":csau0do5 said:
David Perkins and Ryan Robinson are another couple of camp bodies who might impress with their pass rush.

Agreed. Also montese overton had decent production and was intriguing.

I contend that the pass rush issue was interior related more then anything else. I think we have solved it with this deep rotation.

Having brandin bryant in the tukuafu hybrid fb/DT role will be huge. It will give us a 7th DT to work in and actually expect some sacks from instead of being a place holder.

I expect the DT group to be 6 men with Bryant as the 7th but a FB2 roster spot

Reed
Bennett
Silgia
Hill
Jefferson
Rubin

Edge is 4 spots

Clark
Avril
Clemons
Mystery player