NET Draft Grades So Far...

How do you grade the Seahawks draft after Day 2?

• A+

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • A-

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • B+

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • B-

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • C+

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • C-

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Worse than C-

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How do you grade the Seahawks draft after Day 2?

chris98251

Reaction score
I said A-

I think we went the football player and results guys, guys that find a way, are tough and gritty and have a nasty side, not big on the athletic as much as heart and no quit in them.

Not flashy, not a lot the media is going to jump up and down about, not a lot the casual fan may be happy with.

But we rebuilt depth and filled need as well as got physical across the board with the picks.

I expect more speed positions tomorrow, typically where we get guys that have a flaw but are really fast we coach up.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Was looking for the "I'm not qualified" option.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Laloosh":1ighawag said:

Yeah should just shut down the forums since none of us are employed in NFL front offices.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":50kplivj said:
I said A-

I think we went the football player and results guys, guys that find a way, are tough and gritty and have a nasty side, not big on the athletic as much as heart and no quit in them.

Not flashy, not a lot the media is going to jump up and down about, not a lot the casual fan may be happy with.

But we rebuilt depth and filled need as well as got physical across the board with the picks.

I expect more speed positions tomorrow, typically where we get guys that have a flaw but are really fast we coach up.
I agree in principle with your comments, but gave it a B+. :)

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I really like the players they have, I'm not knocking the postions or players but you have to grade based on what could have been. I think we are a better football team if we grab a defensive stud in the first and an offensive lineman in the second. I also think we should have used one of our 3s to move up again and I think PC/JS would agree they seemed really upset they lost out on the late second/early third lineman.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Alright let's summarize it so far.

Pick #31 - Germain Ifedi, he's rated by most sites as about the 5th best OT in the draft (behind Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin and Decker but ahead of Spriggs, Coleman and Clark). That in itself is a pretty decent outcome for the very last pick of the first round imo, especially considering it's a position of need. Disregarding everything else I'd give this a B but there are a few things that bump him up to a B+ for me. First of all of course the trade down, we got an extra third and still got our guy. Next up is him being a natural fit for RT. The guys taken above him bar Decker where all better suited to play LT and we already have our guy in Gilliam there, also don't forget that he'd have the easiest transition to guard out of the first tackles if we needed him to. I said before the draft he'd be the offensive lineman who'd make the most sense for us and I'm glad we got him.

Pick #49 - Jarran Reed, the best run stuffer in the draft who all experts had going in the mid-first and who the Seahawks themselves also had a first round grade on. I'd say he's the best value second round pick (unless Myles Jack and Jalon Smith recover 100% from their injuries of course) and the only thing keeping him from being an A+ pick in my eyes is that we had to give up an extra fourth to get him, so round it down to an A.

Pick #90 - CJ Prosise, not a big favorite of some people here on this forum but he's far and away the best 3rd down back in the draft. I've already gone into detail why I'm so happy we picked him in his own thread but it comes down to him being a great pass catcher with elite speed and elusiveness. He's not a lead back though and that makes it a bit early to draft him, because we don't have a fourth we wouldn't have been able to get him if not with one of the three third round picks so it's understandable but it still pegs him down to a B-.

Pick #94 - Nick Vannett, second best overall TE and best blocking TE of this class at the back end of the third is in my opinion a great value pick. He won't be a starter with Graham and even Wilson on the roster but I bet he sees the field plenty on running downs and Red Zone plays. I'd give this one an A-, a really good player who fills an important role for us right away for a relatively low cost.

Pick #97 - Rees Odhiambo, the only headscratcher pick so far. On one hand he might just be the answer to the Aaron Donald's of this world with the power/technique combination to effectively stop a bull rush but on the other hand he's a non-factor in the running game and looks a bit sluggish overall. He might surprisingly start but he could just as well not even make the roster. It's either an A or an F imo, huge boom or bust prospect so I can't really give more than a C.

Which all in all comes together to more or less a B+, which isn't half bad.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they've nailed it. I wanted a defensive player in the first and would of been fine with Reed there. He was the leader of the Alabama defense and PC defense is predicated on stopping the run.

Prosise can be a lead back. Not really sure why some are saying he isn't capable of that. Third down back was one of the few areas they could improve a ton on from last year and they did that.

Odhiambo's only question mark is health. He will be starting next year. Also got the best blocking TE in the draft which is something we've begged for since Zack left.

Homerish grade of "A"

Mick063

Reaction score
The zone blocking scheme requires a more mobile, nimble footed guard than in a conventional run scheme. Typically, they are not as massive or thick as the normal guard, but can get out and move to the edge or the second level. One must differentiate between working in a small space from working in open space.

I keep reading here that folks don't think Odhiambo can run block. Seattle picked him because of how he works in open space. He isn't going to blow defensive tackles off the ball. He is going to pull, engage on the move, and occupy until the running back slips past. This may not be your version of a run block, but it is still a run block, and what Cable envisions with his DT converts. He is seeking athletic interior lineman.

A

Anonymous

A-

I'm happy we went after the linemen like we did. A critical area was covered, now it's just up to the strength and conditioning coaches and the position coaches to get these guys pointed in the right direction.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3gmyeav7 said:
Laloosh":3gmyeav7 said:

Yeah should just shut down the forums since none of us are employed in NFL front offices.

Or maybe he was being honest in not being able to assess the draft. I would also consider myself one of the "I'm not qualified" simply because I'm not a film guy, nor do I watch college ball. But please, continue with your faux outrage.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80":36qrf1im said:
A-

Kinda scratched my head with Prosise and the Boise State lineman however.
You're going to love both players, I guarantee it. Both will be contributors sooner rather than later.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There's no harm speculating but immediate draft grades are just reflections of how close your projections (or the projections you follow) aligned with the Hawks projections. They're more grades on your sources than anything else.

Once the players get into camp and we see how they are looking as Seahawks and competing for the 53 man roster then I think actual "how helpful is this pick to the Seahawks" grades are possible.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This is easily our best draft since 2012.

Ifedi to me will be the key to how we look back on this 3-4 years from now. If he's able to develop into the lineman many believe he can be.. this is easily an A+ draft in the making.

We got a top 20 talent at 49 for the low low cost of a 4th. We got Zach Miller 2.0 and a guy that could be Matt Forte esque in the 3rd. And then another wild card piece for the OL to cap it off.

Just a spectacular two days for this draft.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1z5oxwpo said:
Kinda scratched my head with Prosise and the Boise State lineman however.

Yes, me too. For that reason I came in at a B+

Ambrose83

Reaction score
You guys questioning the last 2 picks obviously did not see them at the combine or last year on the field.. We killed this draft. Not a head scratcher at all.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3rfhfn09 said:
This is easily our best draft since 2012.

Ifedi to me will be the key to how we look back on this 3-4 years from now. If he's able to develop into the lineman many believe he can be.. this is easily an A+ draft in the making.

We got a top 20 talent at 49 for the low low cost of a 4th. We got Zach Miller 2.0 and a guy that could be Matt Forte esque in the 3rd. And then another wild card piece for the OL to cap it off.

Just a spectacular two days for this draft.

I agree with everything said here. The serious attention to the O line I have been asking for years, a mauler TE who can also catch, (IMO) the best 3rd down back in the draft and a top run stuffing D lineman are just what the doctor ordered. I can't want for the start of camp. I also think that this will be the most productive group since '12.

These guys aren't who I projected, but I think they are an improvement on what I did project. An A+ in my grade book.