I have a really bad feeling about this draft

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I usually find a way to be positive about our draft and find a few guys with all pro level of potential... but this draft man. Just weird. I feel so down, especially since Schneider hyped it up so much. Yay we got OL help but man I dont know about any of them.

Just a bizarrely anti climatic draft imo. Im looking forward to Pete and Johns comments on it.

Someone plese help convince me otherwise??

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This draft was about depth in the trenches and re-stocking the running game.

Not flashy, but looks like they have some good competition for their spots of need.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I see potentially 4 immediate starters.

Ifedi and reed. Vannett and Collins depending on health of graham and Rawls.

Cj will get touches and be a big play guy. Maybe a returner?

Rees will be in the mix at guard.

Jefferson will battle Jordan Hill for the pass rushing DT role.

The other guys will fight for roster spots.

Adding 4 potential starters to a team as good as the seahawks is damn good.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3kkxddsv said:
I usually find a way to be positive about our draft and find a few guys with all pro level of potential... but this draft man. Just weird. I feel so down, especially since Schneider hyped it up so much. Yay we got OL help but man I dont know about any of them.

Just a bizarrely anti climatic draft imo. Im looking forward to Pete and Johns comments on it.

Weird.

Just about everybody else is pretty stoked about it, especially the day two picks.

Have you not been following, or do you just differ from the general consensus?

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1ytn8bq9 said:
therealjohncarlson":1ytn8bq9 said:

Weird.

Just about everybody else is pretty stoked about it, especially the day two picks.

I guess I differ from most people. I view pretty much everyone we got as a fringe roll player or one dimensional. No future stars to replace our aging ones. Maybe Reed maybe. But I view him as pretty one dimensional

Sorry to piss on everyones parade

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":4xtsbaoi said:
Hawkpower":4xtsbaoi said:
therealjohncarlson":4xtsbaoi said:

Weird.

I guess I differ from most people. I view pretty much everyone we got as a fringe roll player or one dimensional. No future stars to replace our aging ones. Maybe Reed maybe. But I view him as pretty one dimensional

I'm sure on draft night 2011, when the Seahawks called Richard Sherman, a converted WR to CB, name at the podium, your initial reaction was "You know what, that guy is going to be a star".

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
we won't have any idea until they get on the field in pads

i think the front office and scouting department have earned a pass from the fans when it comes to the draft

Hawkpower

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":105vb6cg said:
Hawkpower":105vb6cg said:
therealjohncarlson":105vb6cg said:

Weird.

Ok.

Strange. Not sure where your analysis comes from at all.

I can't think of any set of reports that back up your conclusions even to the slightest. I see A and B grades all over the board.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Think I get where you're coming from with regard to replacing stars, RJC. Didn't draft skill positions for example but I think our stars are young enough and locked in for long enough that we can afford to draft some role players that are fairly low risk and don't have a crazy upside.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1qhhvwl3 said:
therealjohncarlson":1qhhvwl3 said:
Hawkpower":1qhhvwl3 said:
therealjohncarlson":1qhhvwl3 said:

Weird.

I'm sure on draft night 2011, when the Seahawks called Richard Sherman, a converted WR to CB, name at the podium, your initial reaction was "You know what, that guy is going to be a star".

haha so true. We never know who the stars will be.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
As we know and have found out, teams win championships in the trenches.

We already have a flashy QB, star studded secondary, etc. etc.

What we needed was more depth and competition in the trenches.

Mission accomplished.

Erebus

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3tmrsfiy said:
Hawkpower":3tmrsfiy said:
therealjohncarlson":3tmrsfiy said:

Weird.

Were there any drafts in the PC/JS era where you were stoked about coming away with future stars? This team of stars was built with low-key late-round draft picks.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Every draft is exciting for the Seahawks because it means injecting young blood into a championship culture. Because of that culture of competition, each and every one of them has the potential to develop into a great player for this team.

Since our back-to-back Super Bowls, the Seahawks have lost guys like Marshawn Lynch, Russell Okung, Brandon Mebane, Max Unger, James Carpenter, J.R. Sweezy, Zach Miller, etc. This draft (in addition to free agency) is their best opportunity to fill those holes so we can get back to the promised land.

Germain Ifedi is the closest player to a young Russell Okung in this draft class. He has all the potential in the world to excel in the run game and at pass pro as the starting RT. If he can develop into a cornerstone player, this offensive line has a chance to return to being a dominant presence.

Jarran Reed was the BEST run defender in college football last year. He is being added to a defense that allowed the fewest rushing yards in the league, sans Mebane. Reed gives the Seahawks a potential day one starter at NT and the depth in the interior defensive line to continue to dominate against the run along the line of scrimmage. Jordan Hill, Michael Bennett, Frank Clark, etc. will continue to provide the interior pass rushing threats. DT Quinton Jefferson gives them a good pass rushing prospect at the three technique. I don't think you should allow the rest of the league's current antipathy toward stopping the run dampen your excitement over this great selection.

RBs C.J. Prosise, Alex Collins, and Zac Brooks will all provide valuable competition at RB to replace Marshawn Lynch, competing with Thomas Rawls and Christine Michael on a team that is committed to running the ball as much as they throw it. Carroll's initial acquisition of Lynch and his hand picking of undrafted free agent Rawls prove he's pretty damn good at evaluating the running back position.

TE Nick Vannett was a very sure-handed receiver at Ohio State with Zach Miller-like characteristics. He has the huge frame to grow into a solid blocker under Tom Cable's tutelage. Vannett and WR Kenny Lawler give Russell Willson more potential red zone threats.

Center Joey Hunt and guard Rees Odhiambo will provide valuable competition along the offensive line. These are both experienced technicians who excelled in the college game. Both are excellent in pass pro. Odhiambo is a less athletic version of Alvin Bailey, but unlike Bailey, he actually enjoys hitting people. Hunt was the best pass protector in college football last season. We badly needed to upgrade the competition at this position group. Getting two linemen who are proven to be good at what they do should assist that process.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2djxmbod said:
Every draft is exciting for the Seahawks because it means injecting young blood into a championship culture. Because of that culture of competition, each and every one of them has the potential to develop into a great player for this team.

Since our back-to-back Super Bowls, the Seahawks have lost guys like Marshawn Lynch, Russell Okung, Brandon Mebane, Max Unger, James Carpenter, J.R. Sweezy, Zach Miller, etc. This draft (in addition to free agency) is their best opportunity to fill those holes so we can get back to the promised land.

Germain Ifedi is the closest player to a young Russell Okung in this draft class. He has all the potential in the world to excel in the run game and at pass pro as the starting RT. If he can develop into a cornerstone player, this offensive line has a chance to return to being a dominant presence.

Jarran Reed was the BEST run defender in college football last year. He is being added to a defense that allowed the fewest rushing yards in the league, sans Mebane. Reed gives the Seahawks a potential day one starter at NT and the depth in the interior defensive line to continue to dominate against the run along the line of scrimmage. Jordan Hill, Michael Bennett, Frank Clark, etc. will continue to provide the interior pass rushing threats. DT Quinton Jefferson gives them a good pass rushing prospect at the three technique. I don't think you should allow the rest of the league's current antipathy toward stopping the run dampen your excitement over this great selection.

RBs C.J. Prosise, Alex Collins, and Zac Brooks will all provide valuable competition at RB to replace Marshawn Lynch, competing with Thomas Rawls and Christine Michael on a team that is committed to running the ball as much as they throw it. Carroll's initial acquisition of Lynch and his hand picking of undrafted free agent Rawls prove he's pretty damn good at evaluating the running back position.

TE Nick Vannett was a very sure-handed receiver at Ohio State with Zach Miller-like characteristics. He has the huge frame to grow into a solid blocker under Tom Cable's tutelage. Vannett and WR Kenny Lawler give Russell Willson more potential red zone threats.

Center Joey Hunt and guard Rees Odhiambo will provide valuable competition along the offensive line. These are both experienced technicians who excelled in the college game. Both are excellent in pass pro. Odhiambo is a less athletic version of Alvin Bailey, but unlike Bailey, he actually enjoys hitting people. Hunt was the best pass protector in college football last season. We badly needed to upgrade the competition at this position group. Getting two linemen who are proven to be good at what they do should assist that process.

I like your summary. It's not long till Rookie Camp. Let's see what we have that will shine!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
JSeahawks":p5adevxj said:
I see potentially 4 immediate starters.

Ifedi and reed. Vannett and Collins depending on health of graham and Rawls.

Cj will get touches and be a big play guy. Maybe a returner?

Rees will be in the mix at guard.

Jefferson will battle Jordan Hill for the pass rushing DT role.

The other guys will fight for roster spots.

Adding 4 potential starters to a team as good as the seahawks is damn good.

Vannett will get his reps touches regardless. It won't depend upon Graham. Vannett is the blocking TE Pete and John have been looking for. He will play from game one.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
If you keep all the blogger opinions in perspective then I think this is a really solid draft. It balances SPARQ with nasty and makes a strong statement about reestablishing our identity as tough, run-first ass whoopers.

Sent from my iPhone, which is way better than Roland's Nokia.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I am stoked about this draft. I think they hit an absolute home run. Added multiple players who will play significant roles next year. I think last year and this year have been incredible draft wise after a couple if medicore drafts.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":czv7yk4k said:
hawknation2016":czv7yk4k said:

I like your summary. It's not long till Rookie Camp. Let's see what we have that will shine!

Nothing to add, just a terrific synopsis