Interesting draft

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Either our FO is very happy with our secondary and are feeling that Kam and ET will be back to their old selves and they have answers at SAM LB, or they just didn't see anyone in this draft that fits the Seahawks way.

I personally am uncomfortable with our LB corp, and hope someone steps up at SAM. Really, Morgan, Pierre-Louis and Pinkins just don't really float my boat much....huge drop off from Wagner and Wright. Still not sold on our DE opposite of Avril.

I loved most of the guys we got this weekend overall, but just feel confused/disappointed over the Quality of the LB'r corps right now.

Anyone have any insight in that area to make me feel a little better?

kearly

Reaction score
It was a very thin draft for fast linebackers. Seattle probably thinks they can get by until 2017.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Can't get everything in a draft, especially when you're bound and determined to get 3 running backs.

Erebus

Reaction score
Travis Feeney was available for most of the draft. He had all the measurables we wanted, including speed. I think Pete and John thought they could lure him in as a UDFA but Pittsburgh snagged him in the 7th. I would've much rather had him in the 5th than Alex Collins or the 6th instead of Joey Hunt.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
WLB is the one position on the defense we should never draft highly for and should just develop low picks/UDFA into serviceable defenders.

Moreover, spending a ton of money/capital on the 3 LBers is silly in this day and age of playing mainly nickel.

On that last point, we are going to be in nickel much of the time and thus consider the third linebacker a bit like the nickel corner - not quite a full time player.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Erebus":wy77crjc said:
Travis Feeney was available for most of the draft. He had all the measurables we wanted, including speed. I think Pete and John thought they could lure him in as a UDFA but Pittsburgh snagged him in the 7th. I would've much rather had him in the 5th than Alex Collins or the 6th instead of Joey Hunt.
Joey Hunt was the one guy in this draft I was dissapointed they drafted. I was really hoping they would pick up Feeny with that pick. In fact I was hoping they would jump on him in the fifth but I can understand taking Alex Collins. But Joey Hunt? Really???
Watching him get seriously puched back by college players is not an encouraging sign. I doubt he makes the team. Maybe the practice squad. Didn't like that pick at all.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2wulj6om said:
Can't get everything in a draft, especially when you're bound and determined to get 3 running backs.
Maybe looking for another Marshawn Lynch clone?.......If that's the case, you can't just dabble at it, you are going to have to kiss a lot of frogs....One of these guys just might have the heart to somewhat fill that void.

Erebus

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":wgqwu4e4 said:
WLB is the one position on the defense we should never draft highly for and should just develop low picks/UDFA into serviceable defenders.

Moreover, spending a ton of money/capital on the 3 LBers is silly in this day and age of playing mainly nickel.

On that last point, we are going to be in nickel much of the time and thus consider the third linebacker a bit like the nickel corner - not quite a full time player.

I'm not saying we should've used a high round pick on Feeney. A 5th or 6th would've been appropriate. Even if we're in nickel 60% of the time (a very generous estimate), the WLB will still see about 400 snaps a year, so you don't want to have a practice squad player there. Weaknesses will always get exposed.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Is the CB from Nebraska we picked up last year still on the roster? I believe he was drafted by the Saints.
Anyone know how many DB backs are currently on our roster?

randomation

Reaction score
Still say McEvoy is going to be used as an S/LB hybrid and he has the speed as well as the height to cover TEs.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks have plenty of depth and bodies at DB all of whom are more experienced and known in this system and spent 5th round and 6th round picks on McCray and Seisay in this draft.

They also have bodies at LBer and spent much of thier udfa capitol on LBers. This team also had plenty of success a finding different type of guys to fill that role over the years. Big, small, athletic, fast, lengthy, short, and athletically limited guys.

The best year this defense had Irvin was in his first year at SLB and raw as hell. And they rotated Malc Smith in a lot.

I think they are fine with what they have, they dont need the SLB to be a play-maker, just smart, stout, strong assignment correct players that can hold the edge for two downs most of the time.

And Seahawks draft a true center with superb intangibles and center-oriented abilities and skill-set but is athletically limited. One who is pretty much a plug in player in this system and not a huge project... And people are upset. I dont get it.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2k3sx3qg said:
Seahawks have plenty of depth and bodies at DB all of whom are more experienced and known in this system and spent 5th round and 6th round picks on McCray and Seisay in this draft.

They also have bodies at LBer and spent much of thier udfa capitol on LBers. This team also had plenty of success a finding different type of guys to fill that role over the years. Big, small, athletic, fast, lengthy, short, and athletically limited guys.

The best year this defense had Irvin was in his first year at SLB and raw as hell. And they rotated Malc Smith in a lot.

I think they are fine with what they have, they dont need the SLB to be a play-maker, just smart, stout, strong assignment correct players that can hold the edge for two downs most of the time.

And Seahawks draft a true center with superb intangibles and center-oriented abilities and skill-set but is athletically limited. One who is pretty much a plug in player in this system and not a huge project... And people are upset. I dont get it.

funny people said the same kind of things of Ryan Kalil, that he was limited athletically and undersized. It hasn't really stopped him from being a good center in this league. I think Hunt is a good pick that should push those we've already got.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1lj0lruu said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1lj0lruu said:

funny people said the same kind of things of Ryan Kalil, that he was limited athletically and undersized. It hasn't really stopped him from being a good center in this league. I think Hunt is a good pick that should push those we've already got.
Hope you're both right about Hunt. This offense needs a solid guy at C.

el capitan

Reaction score
Natethegreat":qgo9c9el said:
Erebus":qgo9c9el said:
Joey Hunt was the one guy in this draft I was dissapointed they drafted. I was really hoping they would pick up Feeny with that pick. In fact I was hoping they would jump on him in the fifth but I can understand taking Alex Collins. But Joey Hunt? Really???
Watching him get seriously puched back by college players is not an encouraging sign. I doubt he makes the team. Maybe the practice squad. Didn't like that pick at all.

Joey Hunt was the one guy that PC/JS said they had to leave the draft with. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
What happened to the projects from last year? Wasn't there a Sokoli (sp) we got, who used to play on the defensive line and who was to be groomed to become the next center? Have we given up on him?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3retiplk said:
What happened to the projects from last year? Wasn't there a Sokoli (sp) we got, who used to play on the defensive line and who was to be groomed to become the next center? Have we given up on him?

Sokoli is still a year away from seeing any playing time, according to Pete. His first year has taken him from oh-my-gawd raw to just plain raw. While it would be really cool if he somehow made a total transformation during one off season, that is highly unlikely. In the meantime, we may be able to plug in Hunt. Sounds like he plays with more smarts and natural instincts then any of the centers on our roster.

McGruff

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1pujxgev said:

Not at all. But no one gets a free pass. Everyone gets pushed.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The difference between a 6th, 7th and UDFA isn't much. Many of our UDFA had draftable grades and if it makes you feel better just imagine that we took Tyvis Powell (S) in the 7th.

Ruminator

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3fhr3s7p said:
joeseahawks":3fhr3s7p said:

Sokoli is still a year away from seeing any playing time, according to Pete. His first year has taken him from oh-my-gawd raw to just plain raw. While it would be really cool if he somehow made a total transformation during one off season, that is highly unlikely. In the meantime, we may be able to plug in Hunt. Sounds like he plays with more smarts and natural instincts then any of the centers on our roster.

That's serious trust and optimism, enough to occupy a precious roster spot, that a player will eventually pan out. Especially when it almost never takes more than one hand to count the number of years in a contract. With the nice haul we just had in this draft, it seems things might be a little different this year -- where we'll keep more players ready to contribute immediately/soon, and players needing another year or two of development would become casualties as a result.

Latest posts