Best pick, worst pick

seabowl

Reaction score
Best:
This one for me is too obvious but I absolutely love the move up and pick of Reed. I was at the 1990 draft when we traded the 8th and 10th pick to the Pats to grab Cortez Kennedy and watched as how he literally transformed that D into a monster unit. I'm not putting Reed into that category yet but think he has immense potential and will be a major force for us.

Worst:
Not necessarily a particular player but I really wished we would have traded one of our 3rd round picks to move up in the 3rd to take a guy like LeRaven Clark or the best center still on the board. I do think that Clark and others were on JS's list of players to go after but we were just unable to make the move.

McGruff

Reaction score
seabowl":3nb5v3yl said:
Best:
This one for me is too obvious but I absolutely love the move up and pick of Reed. I was at the 1990 draft when we traded the 8th and 10th pick to the Pats to grab Cortez Kennedy and watched as how he literally transformed that D into a monster unit. I'm not putting Reed into that category yet but think he has immense potential and will be a major force for us.

Worst:
Not necessarily a particular player but I really wished we would have traded one of our 3rd round picks to move up in the 3rd to take a guy like LeRaven Clark or the best center still on the board. I do think that Clark and others were on JS's list of players to go after but we were just unable to make the move.

Right after Clark was picked Carroll took one of the four player cards on his desk and threw it in the trash. Reading from left to right it was the first card. He looked pretty disappointed.

When asked at the press conference about upsets, I'm pretty sure Clark was one of them.

Reed is obvious, so I'm going outside of that with Jefferson for the best pick. I actually like guys that surprise me and escape my attention, and Jefferson Was one of those. I also am a sucker for pass rushing interior linemen, and he's a darn good one.

Worst pick for me was probably either the last RB or Lawler. I think Odhiambo is actually going to be decent for us in an underappreciated Chris Gray kind of way. And it's hard to knock 7th round picks too much, but those two were just kinda blah for me. I don't think either one makes the team, and I'd be surprised is they were even on th e practice squad.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Oddly enough I don't feel bad about any of our picks when I look over the group as a whole.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm upset we didn't come away from the draft with Travis Feeney. We should've taken him in the 5th round instead of Alex Collins. We also didn't need to draft that many RBs. So because of that, I'm going to call Alex Collins the worst pick, even though I don't think he's a bad player. We just had bigger needs.

I'm going to be unoriginal and agree with most others on the best pick. It was clearly Jarran Reed. I know he probably won't provide much pass rush, but he's going to make running the ball on us on first or second down a bad idea, or at least more predictable in the direction they run.

titan3131

Reaction score
Watch Feeney be hurt forever and all of you homers will look ridiculous.

There is a reason he was a 6th round pick

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Best: This one is tough. Can't decide between Prosise and Reed. Not that I want Prosise to leap frog Rawls at all, but if Rawls misses significant time, or turns out to be insanely injury prone, Prosise will have the opportunity to step in. And I think he will be a stud. I really think Reed will be the DL anchor for years. I don't put a ton of stock into the draft profiles, because players grow and get better. I think Reed will be able to penetrate and get QB pressure. In 2-3, he won't just be a one trick pony.

Worst: Brooks. Why? Just why? You have Rawls and CMike. You just drafted two potential stars in Prosise and Collins. I think this is a wasted pick. Yeah, it was a 7th, but still. Guys like Cash and Peake were still on the board. And he's not even big enough to tryout for FB. Cash could be the next Kam. I'm happy with Lawler, but there was something about Peake that screams sleeper. Whatever.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It seems some don't like Alex Collins but he was the best value pick the Seahawks got imo. Picking him up in the back end of the fifth was a steal. I would have been happy getting him in the third.

Not a fan of Joey Hunt and I don't think he makes the team but who knows. Really wanted Feeny there.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Best: Tie - Jarran Reed and Nick Vannett.

Vannett is going to be so big for this offense. Not necessarily in the passing game, but rather as that blocking TE this team has desperately needed since Zach Miller was forced into retirement via injury.

Then obviously Reed was just a ridiculous steal at 49.

Worst: Not wild about the selections of Joey Hunt and Zac Brooks but honestly that's really nitpicking with a 6th and 7th round pick. If either guy contributes I'll be more than pleased.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The best pick - Alex Collins, RB (in terms of where he was drafted, he was a value pick)
The worst pick - Zac Brooks, RB ( after taking Prosise, Collins, just a waste of a pick, could have used it for other positions - another C, S, or LB)

Erebus

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ewc8o4v said:
Best: Tie - Jarran Reed and Nick Vannett.

Vannett is going to be so big for this offense. Not necessarily in the passing game, but rather as that blocking TE this team has desperately needed since Zach Miller was forced into retirement via injury.

Worst: Not wild about the selections of Joey Hunt and Zac Brooks but honestly that's really nitpicking with a 6th and 7th round pick. If either guy contributes I'll be more than pleased.

I'm not wild about Hunt either, but Pete and John said they couldn't leave the building without him, and he fills a position of need, so I won't consider him the worst pick. I'm not excited about Brooks either, but at that point there was nobody else I wanted (except Adams, but we got him anyways), so it was a matter of reserving his rights instead of luring him via UDFA, which I'm okay with.

pugs1

Reaction score
hawkfan68":djxogn43 said:
The best pick - Alex Collins, RB (in terms of where he was drafted, he was a value pick)
The worst pick - Zac Brooks, RB ( after taking Prosise, Collins, just a waste of a pick, could have used it for other positions - another C, S, or LB)

I see the point you and others are making about Brooks but I think by picking him after already picking Prosise and Collins shows how much they liked Brooks. They would have had no chance at getting him as a UDFA and when you look at the depth chart he has a decent shot at making the team IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
Favorite - Quinton Jefferson
Least Favorite - Rees Odhiambo

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":370ia4h2 said:

I like Reed and in fact I'd guess that of all the 2016 draftees, he'll probably last in Seattle the longest.

That said, I think the perception on his value is a bit warped. The media had him as a top 15 pick, but clearly NFL front offices did not. Every year there are players who's media value and front office value are vastly different. It appears that Reed was one of them.

Also, if you watch Reed on draft breakdown or read pretty much any of the scouting reports on him, it's very clear that this guy generates 100% of his value from run defense. He will likely make our pass rush slightly worse on downs 1 and 2, and will not be on the field on down 3. He's purely here for his ability to stop the run, even at the expense of a little pass rush.

Guys that fit this profile of being pure run stuffers are a dime a dozen in free agency these days. Terrance Knighton, one of the best run stopping DTs in the league, was a free agent this year and had to settle for a contract that pays him less per season than Steven Hauschka.

So I think it's a bit strange when people talk about Reed as a huge value pick, while simultaneously mocking the Bucs for drafting a kicker 10 picks later. It's very possible that in four years, Roberto Aguayo will be signing a bigger contract than Jarran Reed will. Because that's what the market is set at these days. Aguayo is a hilarious reach, while Reed is a steal of the draft, yet Aguayo was drafted later and arguably saves his team more money.

And just to be clear, I think drafting a kicker in the 2nd round is dumb as hell. Which is why I don't love the value of the Reed pick, even though I do like the player.

endzorn

Reaction score
Interesting perspective, Kearly. I still love the Reed pick, but I think watching Billings tumble is evidence to support your argument.

I loved so much from this draft, but I think Vannett is the Zachary Miller TE we've been missing and his addition could make out run game even better. The kid is a solid blocker and adds so much value to our offensive line. He can catch, too. Suddenly we have the deepest TE rotation in football and possibly the most exciting RB depth.

If Ifedi pans out I think we're going to be as good a running team as we've ever had in Seattle.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Best Pick: Alex Collins, wanted the Hawks to draft him before the draft.
Worst Pick: Rees Odhiambo, just don't know much about him and what I have read isn't all that positive.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
kearly":1kb6gey1 said:
Hasselbeck":1kb6gey1 said:

I like Reed and in fact I'd guess that of all the 2016 draftees, he'll probably last in Seattle the longest.

That said, I think the perception on his value is a bit warped. The media had him as a top 15 pick, but clearly NFL front offices did not. Every year there are players who's media value and front office value are vastly different. It appears that Reed was one of them.

Also, if you watch Reed on draft breakdown or read pretty much any of the scouting reports on him, it's very clear that this guy generates 100% of his value from run defense. He will likely make our pass rush slightly worse on downs 1 and 2, and will not be on the field on down 3. He's purely here for his ability to stop the run, even at the expense of a little pass rush.

Guys that fit this profile of being pure run stuffers are a dime a dozen in free agency these days. Terrance Knighton, one of the best run stopping DTs in the league, was a free agent this year and had to settle for a contract that pays him less per season than Steven Hauschka.

So I think it's a bit strange when people talk about Reed as a huge value pick, while simultaneously mocking the Bucs for drafting a kicker 10 picks later. It's very possible that in four years, Roberto Aguayo will be signing a bigger contract than Jarran Reed will. Because that's what the market is set at these days. Aguayo is a hilarious reach, while Reed is a steal of the draft, yet Aguayo was drafted later and arguably saves his team more money.

And just to be clear, I think drafting a kicker in the 2nd round is dumb as hell. Which is why I don't love the value of the Reed pick, even though I do like the player.
Pete and John both thought that Reed would be able to add pass rush as well. It wasn't something he was asked to do at Alabama. Whether that works out that way who knows but they seemed to love him.

kearly

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2bc8kkcx said:
Pete and John both thought that Reed would be able to add pass rush as well. It wasn't something he was asked to do at Alabama. Whether that works out that way who knows but they seemed to love him.

I'm only basing my opinion on things that are observable at this time. Of course, you will always have players that look different in the NFL than they did in college. Time will tell.

Reed does have a very quick first step which is a nice thing to have a in a 1 gap defense.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Best: Prosise. Wow. I just watched his highlight reel. Very excited about the pick and to see how he is used. Harvin without the pricetag and all the bullshit.

Worst: Ehh. Brooks I guess. I don't expect ever draft pick to stick. There aren't 10 openings on the 53, but we'll have a great practice squad. I remember Scneider saying at the end of last year that "there were a lot of guys you haven't even seen yet." So, there is some talent from our backups and recovering injured guys and PS from last season that may fill positions or depth very well. This lead them to focus on the areas they perceive as our needs ad perhaps some BPA. I'm very excited to see what these guys can do, and to see the Seahawks improve the OL to at least okay.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":jgkr32u3 said:
Hasselbeck":jgkr32u3 said:

I get what you're saying, I am confident Reed will eventually develop into an every down tackle or at the least not be a liability in there if they choose to throw. And I guess I'm just saying he's a big time steal because IMO he was a Top 20 player and should replace Mebane very seamlessly.

You'll never convince me drafting a kicker in Round 2 - off a trade UP - is a good pick though lol. I don't care if he goes 80 for 80 on the year.. he's a kicker kearly! :th2thumbs: