The power spread offense?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Prosise and Vannett are players who could line up in a spread, and motion to a power formation. Or line up power, and motion to a spread to get matchups on linebackers. Instant advantage offense.

Graham is not a legit blocker, he does not create a mismatch by motioning from spread to off tackle, and while Vannett is hardly the downfield threat that Graham is, he does have good hands, and won't whiff on screen blocks for WRs. Rawls is not an ex WR, so motioning him out wide does not really stress the defense. But Prosise? He can motion from tailback to WR or slot, and now some linebacker is boned.

I expect that to be part of our offensive identity by 2017. I expect 2016 to see the slow integration of more of those principles.

pehawk

Reaction score
Agreed. I created a similar post last night. I expect a little more "Urban Meyer" from the Seahawks this season.

Even if that was true for another team I'd be excited. But with my team? I'm running out of skin.

kearly

Reaction score
Zac Brooks is also a converted WR. FFT.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Prosise can do that and very well..He is great in slot and I can see him being used many ways.I like this pick more as time passes.Brooks also has good hands..Could it be whoever does best between the 2 stays?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
IndyHawk":p95z45x5 said:
Prosise can do that and very well..He is great in slot and I can see him being used many ways.I like this pick more as time passes.Brooks also has good hands..Could it be whoever does best between the 2 stays?

We lined Marshawn out wide a decent ammount so I wouldnt be shocked if this guy comes in at times and is split out wide.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think people mistake catching the ball and receiving the ball, Lynch was able to catch the ball as is Rawls, the thing is they fought it and it didn't look instinctive or a natural thing for them, still better then hands of stone granted.

Prosise and Brooks both are receivers that play running back , won't fight the ball, know how to position and set up a catch and can catch in stride and instinctive in looking the ball into their hands more. Call them Tates, Harvins, or Sproles, I think the plan is to use both these guys a lot in ways the three I mentioned are used or have been.

Better yet they are Reggie Bush type players with a lot more size.

cdallan

Reaction score
I listened to Pete talking about Prosise on Friday's radio interview. I honestly think he sees him as another "tilt the field" player. Since the Harvin experiment failed, we really have lacked speed at the offensive skill positions. Obviously picking Richardson then Lockett was an attempt to address this. I think Prosise is part of that trend, but where he helps more is that his speed plus the potential mismatch could tilt the field.

We have had a reasonable amount of success in scheming to pass to the RBs - the wheel route like we did to Lynch on the first play of the Pats SB, that play action roll out then throw back to the other side we have run a couple of times - but neither Lynch nor Turbine were natural receivers. Kip thought Prosise was a Ruskellian pick because he is a role player, but although he has a high floor and has a specific role he can play I think there is more potential than that. It sounds like he could be a viable RB2, and having him on the field gives you formational flexibility. If he lines up out wide against a LB, with his speed and receiving experience you have to think we will get mismatches.

I haven't watched enough College football to know exactly what Scotte is seeing, but I know how much we like to get cute (sometimes to an infuriating extent it has to be said). Being able to run out a formation that would be as effective in a 5 WR spread as it would be in a 1TE, 1RB and 3WR set would really give D coordinators kittens as to what sub-packages to put on. Throw in the chance of play-action and the read-option, and you have a lot going on for a D. And this time it would be achieved without putting square-peg players in round-peg holes to achieve it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I went over some formation statistics and we've run more 3 WR sets than any other formation since 2013, whether that's out of the gun or under center. That's probably going to remain the same, but given that we now have 8 TEs on the roster I'm expecting more 2 TE sets where one of them is the move TE. The only player on the roster with any experience at FB is Cottom and he too is now listed as a TE and will likely practice in that move TE position as apposed to the Y.

This should also allow us to keep 4 RBs and 4 TEs as apposed to keeping 2 FBs like we did last year OR go heavy in other areas.

I still haven't ruled out that both Rawls and Graham are starting the season on PUP and the fluff about them being ready was just draft smokescreen bidniss.

A-Dog

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1e5x5cfl said:

Or they could both stay. Rawls backed up by Collins for mixed downs and short yardage, and Prosise backed by Brooks for passing downs. Michael will only stay if we keep five or he beats out Collins.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
cdallan":2rdf13k8 said:
I listened to Pete talking about Prosise on Friday's radio interview. I honestly think he sees him as another "tilt the field" player. Since the Harvin experiment failed, we really have lacked speed at the offensive skill positions. Obviously picking Richardson then Lockett was an attempt to address this. I think Prosise is part of that trend, but where he helps more is that his speed plus the potential mismatch could tilt the field.

We have had a reasonable amount of success in scheming to pass to the RBs - the wheel route like we did to Lynch on the first play of the Pats SB, that play action roll out then throw back to the other side we have run a couple of times - but neither Lynch nor Turbine were natural receivers. Kip thought Prosise was a Ruskellian pick because he is a role player, but although he has a high floor and has a specific role he can play I think there is more potential than that. It sounds like he could be a viable RB2, and having him on the field gives you formational flexibility. If he lines up out wide against a LB, with his speed and receiving experience you have to think we will get mismatches.

I haven't watched enough College football to know exactly what Scotte is seeing, but I know how much we like to get cute (sometimes to an infuriating extent it has to be said). Being able to run out a formation that would be as effective in a 5 WR spread as it would be in a 1TE, 1RB and 3WR set would really give D coordinators kittens as to what sub-packages to put on. Throw in the chance of play-action and the read-option, and you have a lot going on for a D. And this time it would be achieved without putting square-peg players in round-peg holes to achieve it.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I know you'll never believe it but I understood some of that.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Most people think the spread is all about throwing the ball, oregon has lead the PAC 12 in rushing I believe every year since switching to the spread. And the last few years they've done it with very little read option. My fav formation is shotgun with 2 rb's and 3 wr's. I see cj prosise as our de'anthony Thomas. Do all kind of creative things with him both in the backfield and in the slot.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1p2vgo43 said:
I went over some formation statistics and we've run more 3 WR sets than any other formation since 2013, whether that's out of the gun or under center. That's probably going to remain the same, but given that we now have 8 TEs on the roster I'm expecting more 2 TE sets where one of them is the move TE. The only player on the roster with any experience at FB is Cottom and he too is now listed as a TE and will likely practice in that move TE position as apposed to the Y.

This should also allow us to keep 4 RBs and 4 TEs as apposed to keeping 2 FBs like we did last year OR go heavy in other areas.

I still haven't ruled out that both Rawls and Graham are starting the season on PUP and the fluff about them being ready was just draft smokescreen bidniss.

Pete's mentioned in the past that he'd like to run more 2 TE sets. He was stoked about Carlson and maybe..McCoy ? I'm not sure but I remember Carlson being part of that, and Pete liking the 2 TE sets and being able to run or pass out of them equally.

I'm not sure we're going to run more "spread" per se, but I think we might have to. We're still lacking continuity on the OL, basically starting over. Thing is, this time, Pete's mentioned starters already. They're looking at Gilliam at LT, Glowinski at LG, Lewis at Center, Ifedi at RG, and Webb at RT. It's weird in that Pete usually won't name starters because he wants competition, but this looks to be a nod to try to get continuity and familiarity throughout OTA's and TC.

Looking at who they drafted, it's a clear signal they still want to be the bully. I just like that they can (and might) spread it out to start while the OL gels. Much better than the start we had last year. Plus, the font side of the schedule looks more favorable than last year's meaning we can get the growing pains out of the way. We're going to have to, in that the schedule in the last half looks pretty tough.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2wm6pwcl said:
Prosise and Vannett are players who could line up in a spread, and motion to a power formation. Or line up power, and motion to a spread to get matchups on linebackers. Instant advantage offense.

Graham is not a legit blocker, he does not create a mismatch by motioning from spread to off tackle, and while Vannett is hardly the downfield threat that Graham is, he does have good hands, and won't whiff on screen blocks for WRs. Rawls is not an ex WR, so motioning him out wide does not really stress the defense. But Prosise? He can motion from tailback to WR or slot, and now some linebacker is boned.

I expect that to be part of our offensive identity by 2017. I expect 2016 to see the slow integration of more of those principles.

Which has 'slow start' to the season written all over it. Hopefully we can win some close games until our annual second-half surge happens.

NYCoug

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2qldjcy4 said:

Same here. I'm thinking they both get PUP'ed, just to be safe, and to allow the other guys at the position a chance to compete for jobs with real, meaningful snaps being the deciding factor and not just projections of potential/preseason snaps against other team's 2's and 3's.

Not only do the other guys on the roster get an opportunity to compete, but you drastically decrease the risk of re-injury for Rawls and Graham, while also helping boost your 2nd half of the season roster. And we know how much Pete loves being able to kick it into high gear come the 2nd half of the season.

Hypothetically, you'd miss each for 6 games, and then they'd get a few games to knock off the rust and get back into the swing of things. It'd be like adding two pieces via trade, that's the kind of shot in the arm and infusion of talent that would be.

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. Rawls says that there's no doubt he'll be ready for Training Camp, but like you said, this could all be a part of Pete and John's script.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hopefully Varnett can seal the edge like Zach used to. When Zach left so did the Seahawks preference to run stretch outside.

G'damn that'll be huge if it works.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2ca9hnn5 said:
Which has 'slow start' to the season written all over it. Hopefully we can win some close games until our annual second-half surge happens.

This very well may be true, but this year we finally have a very friendly schedule for a slow start

-bsd

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've read, and seen videos of some people (IIRC Bucky Brooks), that seem to think that all Vannett needs to get separation is a lot of training in route running. Before Urban Meyer, he had zero coaching.

When Urban showed up, "He was up against a talent-laden roster so had to focus on one aspect of his game."

Unlike other teams who try to pigeon hole players, this coaching staff looks at each players capabilities and how they might be able to take advantage of them.

So here's to hoping that this coaching staff can show him what he needs to do to get separation.

Remember Brandon Stokely? One of the best, I've ever seen at getting separation. According to these sites, Brandon was actually fairly athletic. Except when he played for us he wasn't, yet he still got amazing separation.

Can we get him as a WR coach?

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5242

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/3939/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... okBr00.htm

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2uhh4obf said:
HawKnPeppa":2uhh4obf said:

This very well may be true, but this year we finally have a very friendly schedule for a slow start

-bsd

I was gonna say - as fearful as I am of PC and Darell Bevell's penchant for experimentation, this year's schedule is perfect for it.

Besides, the integration already started last year, to pronounced success. And it gives our OL time to develop at pass protection.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think if we can gain yards and score points in power, then we'll run a lot of power. Of course, it's nice to have an option to motion your TE or RB, but those concepts have existed since day 1 with Lynch and Zach. Marshawn was a very skilled receiver. Zach was a plodder, but he was game-athletic and had soft hands.

Vannett strikes me as a Zach Miller prototype; Procise is here to replace Marshawn's receiving and Pete's always been a fan of dynamic RB/WR hybrids (see: Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, even Golden Tate to an extent). Not sure this signals a new era of Chip Kelly football. These two prospects fit within types that Pete has liked in the past.

That's said, it's nice to have options. Our protection, our lack thereof, may force our hand once again.

But make no mistake, this draft was a lot about getting our bully-swagger back. That's power football.