Tre Madden RB (USC) -UDFA

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]UM7ff1XpSD0[/youtube]

He's not very good running east and west but running north and south he gives off a TJ Duckett / Lendale White / Spencer Ware kind of vibe. He's got a good feel for how to navigate tight spaces when going north/south and has decent burst for his size. He's a bit of a bowling ball RB.

I find myself really rooting for this guy to make the final 53 somehow. Last year Seattle lost a game to Cincy in large part because in the 4th quarter Thomas Rawls wasn't built sturdily enough to earn very tough yards. I firmly believe that Rawls is a top 5 RB in the league, but as a power runner he is essentially average. Having a blunt force to bring onto the field on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and goal would be a useful thing to have.

chris98251

Reaction score
I seen a lot of not being touched till 5 yards down field and once contact made goes down pretty easy for a power guy, what I liked best was his pass blocking, he doesn't deliver a blow to finish his runs either, something most power backs are known for. Maybe it was just what the defense was giving them, I would like to see more short yardage footage to see if he has power and keeps his legs driving. Tough to assess a power guy with next to no power run situations to observe.

Oh and a lot of bad QB play as well in that Vid.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he was a linebacker his first year at USC. Which means he could probably be a good special teams contributor as well. I just don't see room for him though.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Btw, still can't believe drunk sark abandoned the running game that day. They were shredding the huskys on the ground and uw was playing great pass defense. Kessler was playing scared. One of the worst coached games I can remember.

justafan

Reaction score
I like the pick up.This is my wildcard pick to be the future 3rd down back.

He seems to have a better understanding of pass protection than the other RBs we drafted and seems to have the willingness to do the dirty work.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I highly doubt he makes the team (or Christine Michael for that matter). My bet would be Rawls, Prosise, and Collins.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":11m4bji7 said:
Btw, still can't believe drunk sark abandoned the running game that day. They were shredding the huskys on the ground and uw was playing great pass defense. Kessler was playing scared. One of the worst coached games I can remember.
As a UW fan watching the game I thought drunk sark blew that game by getting away from what was working.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":knbspp2c said:
I seen a lot of not being touched till 5 yards down field and once contact made goes down pretty easy for a power guy, what I liked best was his pass blocking, he doesn't deliver a blow to finish his runs either, something most power backs are known for. Maybe it was just what the defense was giving them, I would like to see more short yardage footage to see if he has power and keeps his legs driving. Tough to assess a power guy with next to no power run situations to observe.

Oh and a lot of bad QB play as well in that Vid.

He's definitely not an elusive back like Marshawn Lynch.

Madden will make his hay running dives, churning ahead for 2-3 yards on 3rd and short. Think TJ Duckett when he was here in 2008.

gmor

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1nqe42lc said:
"Cutty Sark" didn't shine that day.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":11mzmxe3 said:
Btw, still can't believe drunk sark abandoned the running game that day. They were shredding the huskys on the ground and uw was playing great pass defense. Kessler was playing scared. One of the worst coached games I can remember

I really hope it was Sark that did that because our new coach is the guy that actually called all the plays to start the year before Sark was fired.

Anyway in regards to the OP.. always loved Tre Madden at USC. Kearly described him very well. I see a little Rod Smith in Madden, and I think a lot of us were sad to see him plucked off our practice squad.

Going to be some very difficult cuts this year.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1c5k7c1c said:
Going to be some very difficult cuts this year.

Yup. Should be a very fun preseason.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
My comp for Madden would actually be Gurley light. He's not quite the athlete that Gurley is, but his running style is very similar. Like Gurley, he's not a real center of gravity running back with a lot of lateral quickness, but he doesn't get N/S pretty quickly and always seems to fall forward. Even when he gets tackled he's still getting an extra 2-3 yards as he's going down.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he beats out both Collins and Brooks. Brooks is a real long shot to make the team, IMO. He's essentially redundancy for that 3rd down back position and I'm still not convinced that Collins isn't more Trent Richardson than Lacy. I expect that our OL will be better this year, but he'll still have to create for himself more than he did in college and I doubt he can do that in NFL speed.

OTOH, Madden is a Pete Carroll guy from a ways back and would probably be pretty loyal in going on and off the practice squad in the event that Collins shows he's got enough burst for the NFL.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Tre was a LB and Wildcat QB in high school and was a second team SLB his first year at USC. He got switched to RB in spring practice before his second year due to need and because RB Coach Kennedy Polamalu (Troy's uncle) saw something in him.

He had bad injury luck at USC, plus all the coaching changes, so I think he's still got room to improve in terms of technique. The big question is how much the injuries have limited him athletically. He comes from good bloodlines: former Rams RB Lawrence McCutcheon is his grandfather, former NFL CB Daylon McCutcheon is his uncle and his dad, Curtis, played FB and DE at Kansas State.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
sc85sis":1ko0s8zi said:
Tre was a LB and Wildcat QB in high school and was a second team SLB his first year at USC. He got switched to RB in spring practice before his second year due to need and because RB Coach Kennedy Polamalu (Troy's uncle) saw something in him.

He had bad injury luck at USC, plus all the coaching changes, so I think he's still got room to improve in terms of technique. The big question is how much the injuries have limited him athletically. He comes from good bloodlines: former Rams RB Lawrence McCutcheon is his grandfather, former NFL CB Daylon McCutcheon is his uncle and his dad, Curtis, played FB and DE at Kansas State.

Thanks for the background. He's an explosive player and tremendous athlete. I wonder what he might have accomplished as a LB. He might have become another Shaq Thompson/Myles Jack type. Glad he is getting an opportunity to compete.

Bluechip LB prospect Tre Madden
[youtube]bLKbWWvfwzc[/youtube]

Natethegreat

Reaction score
John Schneider just said they would be using him at full back a little bit. May be giving him a look at a Coleman type role.

Largent80

Reaction score
That position group is going to have fierce competition this spring/summer and is going to be fun to watch and some difficult decisions will need to be made.