Playing the "numbers game" at RB

hawknation2016

Reaction score
By drafting three RBs in this year's draft and signing a highly regarded UDFA, the Seahawks will have hopefully increased their odds of successfully replacing the newly retired Marshawn Lynch going forward. Rawls is the proven incumbent, but it's nice to see that they are not putting all their eggs in one basket.

Carroll used a similar approach when he coached at the college level. After LenDale White and Reggie Bush ("thunder and lightning") each rushed for over a thousand yards in 2005 and then declared for the NFL draft, Carroll sought to replace them by recruiting as many top ranked running backs as he could. At one point, USC had 10 bluechip backs on its roster. The result was that USC continued to run the ball at a high level of efficiency, using a committee approach, but with no player rushing for more than a thousand yards in a season for the succeeding three years under Carroll.

It's going to be interesting to see how this competition plays out. That is a lot of young backs to evaluate at one time. Each possesses a unique skill set all his own. The good news is there is a lot of obvious talent in this group. Rawls demonstrated tough running before getting hurt in his rookie campaign. And Michael finally looked serviceable and ran the ball with a sense of urgency after being released and re-signed by the team. The competition will hopefully allow the cream to rise to the top, especially with Rawls potentially sitting out of training camp.

Thomas Rawls (recovering from ankle injury, expects to return by the start of the season)
Christine Michael (2nd Round pick in 2013)
C.J. Prosise (3rd Round pick)
Alex Collins (5th Round pick)
Zac Brooks (7th Round pick)
Cameron Marshall (CFL signee)
Tre Madden (Undrafted signee)

Prosise is an explosive back with excellent field vision and a nice size to speed ratio. But he's new to the RB position, does not understand protection fundamentals, and ball security is an issue for him. I wonder whether some of his jukes and cuts will translate from college to the NFL, where defenses are faster and take better angles.

Collins shares with Prosise great field vision and instincts. He's very experienced and consistent (over 1,000 yards and over five yards per yards for three seasons), but not nearly as inherently explosive as Prosise. It seems to me his running style will make for an easier transition to the NFL. But he's not the big play threat that I think they are searching for to complement Rawls, i.e. the lightning to his thunder.

Like Prosise, Brooks is a tremendously explosive athlete. Also like Prosise, he is adept at catching the ball out of the backfield and running passed defenders. But he's always been a backup and has dealt with injuries. He seems to run into tackles at times and is not physical.

Marshall is a stocky runner with good balance. He's just not very quick or elusive. He does bring a year of experience in the CFL. Like all the others, he is a good receiver.

Madden is downhill, cut and go runner, who is both explosive and physical. He can also block and catch well, which makes him the ideal 3rd down back. Unfortunately, he's had a lot of injuries throughout his career.

endzorn

Reaction score
If even one of these kids turn into a productive back for us then I'm cool with the capital we burned to get everyone. Running is our identity and they needed to cover their asses in case Rawls gets injured again.

pehawk

Reaction score
endzorn":3ddmlp6i said:
If even one of these kids turn into a productive back for us then I'm cool with the capital we burned to get everyone. Running is our identity and they needed to cover their asses in case Rawls gets injured again.
Exactly.

Questioning the number of RB's selected misses the point. It's attempting to guarantee a dynamic RB is always available, regardless of injuries.

Basis4day

Reaction score
We knew from the beginning that Rawls was going to have a long recovery. They're still optimistic about him being ready to go for the start of the season.

I'm confident they like Rawls a lot, but i i don't think they want to make him an every down player like Lynch.
This doesn't need to be a statement about Rawls' recovery from this injury, but a way to hedge bets going forward.

As others have said, Pete likes a variety of RB in his rotation.

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh and thank you HN2016. You're a great contributor and its much appreciated.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I love it, so excited to see how the competition plays out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I bet this was always the plan onced Lynch retired or moved on. And the team has hinted the RBBC approach the last couple of seasons.

Cable also has been a RBBC coach in Oakland and Atlanta with much success.

Being able to be multiple and have the depth, not only reduces fatigue and injuries, it also wears out opposing Defenses and puts pressure on them to defend those multiple looks.

Seahawks have now have the players as long as they step up to run many different concepts and be successful.

Bevell is probably giddy, I dont think hes had the talent level like he has now in terms of what he wanted to do. Lynch was well-rounded but not considered a true dual threat. Harvin never got far enough to see the end results and that waa the same year Miller went on IR after 3 games.

Im excited for this. This offense can be deadly in what ever it wants to run as long as the O-Line allows it I suppose.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
So, Cameron Marshall was cut today. JS interview this week with Brock and Salk, mentioned that Tre Madden is going to play some FB for the Hawks. So, how many Tailbacks now? 4? Looks like there may only be ONE left off the roster.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Hmmm. I agree with most comments, but I think we can add another reason why the Hawks are stocking up on RBs.

DuJuan Harris (remember him? Played one game -- Baltimore -- then released)
Bryce Brown
Christine Michael
Fred Jackson
Derrick Coleman

These were the backs the team started when BeastMode and Rawls were out. Running the ball is the teams identity and we continued to run the ball regardless of who was in the backfield.

That said, I don't think JS/PC want to be in the same situation where they're signing players off the street like last year. They're loading up on RBs where, "next man up" will not mean a significant drop off in talent/skill.

And, I can see the team move Tre Madden to FB. Mike Rob was a QB at Penn State before moving to the FB position and Coleman was a TB at UCLA.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Worth quoting Boyle's opinion on Seahawks.com today that the Hawks may keep 4 RBs in addition to a FB.

The Seahawks probably won’t keep all five of those running backs, but keeping four in addition to a fullback is a realistic possibility, especially since a player like Prosise could play a big special teams role, while Turbin and Jackson did not in previous years (Prosise, a former safety, was Notre Dame’s special teams player of the year in 2014).

It would be unusual for them (they usually carry 3 RB 1 FB) but with Rawls having only played 8 games and Prosise's special teams ability it may come at the expense of the 6th WR or the 10th DL this year.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I have a feeling that they will keep 4 RBs this year. Which I don't see as a bad thing, especially since they seem like they could also contribute on special teams, Collins and Prosise in particular.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Would it be possible for them to keep 4 rbs on the roster and one on the practice squad? Or would it be not worth the effort to do that and hamstring our practice squad?
I truly dont know. Thanks.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's listed as a tight end on .com, but I don't trust it. I think Brandon Cottom might be a part of this conversation as a fullback.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1y862k22 said:
Would it be possible for them to keep 4 rbs on the roster and one on the practice squad? Or would it be not worth the effort to do that and hamstring our practice squad?
If you're counting the FB in there then it's not just feasible but 95%+ likely. If you're not counting the FB then it's more of a 50/50 proposition and comes down to developmental potential.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
AgentDib":38685rhl said:
Worth quoting Boyle's opinion on Seahawks.com today that the Hawks may keep 4 RBs in addition to a FB.

The Seahawks probably won’t keep all five of those running backs, but keeping four in addition to a fullback is a realistic possibility, especially since a player like Prosise could play a big special teams role, while Turbin and Jackson did not in previous years (Prosise, a former safety, was Notre Dame’s special teams player of the year in 2014).

It would be unusual for them (they usually carry 3 RB 1 FB) but with Rawls having only played 8 games and Prosise's special teams ability it may come at the expense of the 6th WR or the 10th DL this year.

They have carried 5 over the active roster over the last three years for a majority of each season.

2013:
RB: Lynch, Turbin, Michael
FB: Coleman, Robinson

2014:
RB: Lynch, Turbin, Michael
FB: Coleman, Tukuafu

Although I think Coleman did go to I.R., So never mind here.

2015:
RB: Lynch, Rawls, Jackson
FB: Coleman, Tukufu

I think they also carried 4 RBs at times during Lynch's injuries until they put Rawls on I.R.

So I think its possible they go in with 5.

Eyes will be on Rawls though if he ends up on the PUP or not.

As well as TE Vannett, RB Madden, DT Bryant, and TE Cottom to see if they have the positional versatility to be a lead-blocker on occassion.

Tical21

Reaction score
Schneider was interviewed after the draft, I believe by Mitch Levy but can't remember for sure, and his tone didn't sound as jacked about Thomas Rawls as I thought he would. Almost as though he was saying even if healthy, Schneider isn't completely sold that he is the second coming. I think it is pretty obvious that the plan is to put 1-2 on the practice squad and keep a stable. I'm not necessarily counting Michael out either. These kids are all going to get chances and will separate themselves.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Tical21":3qxkhsxh said:
Schneider was interviewed after the draft, I believe by Mitch Levy but can't remember for sure, and his tone didn't sound as jacked about Thomas Rawls as I thought he would. Almost as though he was saying even if healthy, Schneider isn't completely sold that he is the second coming. I think it is pretty obvious that the plan is to put 1-2 on the practice squad and keep a stable. I'm not necessarily counting Michael out either. These kids are all going to get chances and will separate themselves.
I get what you're saying. I think that JS was merely tempering expectations. Yes, Rawls had a great rookie season and everyone associated with the Seahawks would love to see him pick right back up where he left off. But, he's got to continue to show up big. I don't think JS is down on Rawls. I just think he's not down on the new additions either. They haven't yet had a chance to begin writing their Seahawks story.

They're all young and - according to the comPETE philosophy - have an equal opportunity before them. But, we certainly don't want to be ultra dependent on one back. Having that stable of backs like USC is a preferable way to roll. I hope to see Rawls back to form and deserving of the starting back role. Hopefully they all perform that well and earn their share of carries. It will be interesting to see their skills on display in conjunction with the new 2016 model tough, gritty O-line.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":q9fa5ivj said:

Yeah its possible. The practice squad has some room to keep their talented players even at positions with depth.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I am really liking what I see from Alex Collins, I would be very surprised if he is not running a significant number of first and second downs for us this year. I don't care what the combine numbers say, when you want to score as badly as this kid does it counts for something.

Calling him as my adopt a rookie in this thread.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tical21":3mmfo7f0 said:
Schneider was interviewed after the draft, I believe by Mitch Levy but can't remember for sure, and his tone didn't sound as jacked about Thomas Rawls as I thought he would.

Didn't hear the quote but I'm with Scneider in tempering expectations. There just isn't enough information on Rawls yet, even if he did look dynamic with his opportunities. A trend I noticed last year (when a bunch of RB1s went down) was that the backups would come in and often play better than the starter for a stretch of multiple games. Inevitably, however, as the "fresh legs" wore off and defenses figured out their pacing, they became less effective. I'm not sure Rawls played enough games for that process to play out. Certainly, he is not going to be averaging 6 YPC over an entire season.