Predictions...which O-Line guys make the 53-man roster?

Willyeye

Reaction score
Including UDFA's and new draftees, we now have 17 O-Line guys. Who do you think will start on the O-Line in Week 1?

This is the way I see the competition between the 17 players:
LT- Gilliam, Sowell, Schwenke
LG- Odhiambo, Britt, Hunter
C- Lewis, Hunt, Sokoli, Nowak, Pericak
RG- Glowinski, Fant, Maiava
RT- Ifedi, Webb, Poole

Ifedi is listed as T/G on the official roster…my gut tells me he gets the RT position over Webb. Webb might get the LG job.

My guess for the 2016 starting O-Line is Gilliam-Odhiambo-Lewis-Glowinski-Ifedi. Come September, they may go with 10 offensive linemen, but they may go with only 9 as they did in 2015. If they go with 10, I’m thinking Gilliam, Odhiambo, Lewis, Glowinski, Ifedi, Sowell, Britt, Hunt, Sokoli and Webb will survive the 53-man cuts.

I think Schwenke, Hunter, Nowak, Pericak, Fant (unless he makes it as a TE), Maiava and Poole will most likely be cut by the end of the preseason. A few will probably make the PS.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Carroll said today that Ifedi will start out at RG and Webb will start out at RT.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What makes you think Fant would start at RG, I think he'll be pigeoned holed to LT.

Gilliam, Sowell, Schwenke,Fant
Britt, Odhiambo, Soloki
Lewis, Hunt, Nowak, Perciak
Glowinski, Ifedi, Miava
Webb, Poole

Dont know Hunter is, wouldnt surprise me if 1 or 2 of these guys are cut because how much the 2-deeps need extra reps.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1wkxohl0 said:
What makes you think Fant would start at RG, I think he'll be pigeoned holed to LT.

Britt, Odhiambo, Soloki
Glowinski, Ifedi, Miava
Webb, Poole

Dont know Hunter is, wouldnt surprise me if 1 or 2 of these guys are cut because how much the 2-deeps need extra reps.

Schneider keeps talking about Fant as a Y-TE, saying he has great hands.

I think the OP's guess is pretty good on which linemen ultimately make the 53. However, if Ifedi starts at RG, perhaps that opens up an opportunity for Poole at RT. The additions of Odhiambo and Ifedi have made the guard positions more crowded. Sokoli and Poole are probably the least likely to make the roster out of the Top 11. Of course, someone unexpected could step up and/or someone we think is a lock, i.e. Glowinski or Hunt, could struggle.

LT Gilliam, Sowell
LG Britt, Odhiambo, Soloki
C Lewis, Hunt
RG Ifedi, Glowinski
RT Webb, Poole

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
hawknation2016":i4jef6n5 said:
Carroll said today that Ifedi will start out at RG and Webb will start out at RT.

I think PC was talking about TC, not Week 1. So you're contention is that just because PC said Ifedi will start out at RG and Webb will start out at RT, that there is no chance that things could change In TC or early in the preseason? What about TC competition? Are you saying that Webb and Ifedi are already the chosen starters for the regular season? No one even has a chance to compete with them? They have Ifedi listed as a G/T on their official roster. I think Ifedi will make a better RT than Webb, but I've been wrong many times before. I guess we'll see.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Willyeye":xzso9d70 said:
hawknation2016":xzso9d70 said:

I think PC was talking about TC, not Week 1. So you're contention is that just because PC said Ifedi will start out at RG and Webb will start out at RT, that there is no chance that things could change In TC or early in the preseason? What about TC competition? Are you saying that Webb and Ifedi are already the chosen starters for the regular season? No one even has a chance to compete with them? They have Ifedi listed as a G/T on their official roster. I think Ifedi will make a better RT than Webb, but I've been wrong many times before. I guess we'll see.

No, I'm just providing information that you may -- or may not -- have read already. Things can always change.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3igopqvx said:

Britt, Odhiambo, Soloki
Glowinski, Ifedi, Miava
Webb, Poole

Jaylen Hunter- one of the supposed UDFA's that the Hawks signed...he might just end up being a rookie mini camp invitee for a tryout. Yeah, and Fant was just a guess...I don't see the sense in using Fant as a Y- TE when they drafted Vannett for that job. Heard that they'd likely convert him to O-Line. Who knows at this point?

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2doxaecw said:
Willyeye":2doxaecw said:
hawknation2016":2doxaecw said:

No, I'm just providing information that you may -- or may not -- have read already. Things can always change.

I know...I read all that stuff, but I just don't see them keeping Webb at RT now that they have Ifedi. I think they'll treat Ifedi more like they did Britt...they drafted him for RT, and that's where he'll play for at least his rookie season, unless he totally messes up. I think Webb will replace Britt, unless Britt for some reason has a breakout season.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Willyeye":3gb47yl0 said:
hawknation2016":3gb47yl0 said:
Willyeye":3gb47yl0 said:
hawknation2016":3gb47yl0 said:

I know...I read all that stuff, but I just don't see them keeping Webb at RT now that they have Ifedi. I think they'll treat Ifedi more like they did Britt...they drafted him for RT, and that's where he'll play for at least his rookie season, unless he totally messes up. I think Webb will replace Britt, unless Britt for some reason has a breakout season.

It's possible. But Plan A right now is to have Ifedi at RG and Webb at RT to get, in Carroll's words, "as big as you can get in football" on the right side of the line. Britt, unlike Ifedi, did start out at RT. Perhaps they have learned from that experience and will now ease in Ifedi to RT after a year of playing RG. That is my best guess at this point in time.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It could be starting Ifedi at RG, is just to get him tougher and better in his run-blocking and keep Glowinski on his toes. I think they know he can play RT but want him to have that versatility to swing at both spots.

I think they are committed to have Webb start for the year. Hes the most experienced Oline and he was solid for Oakland considering where he came from. I think Cable can get the best out of him. Not only that check Webb on instagram the guy is in phenomenal shape, he looks huge, strong, and he has ab definition at 320+.

The guy could be a player.

titan3131

Reaction score
Also if Lewis is taking center reps having him inline next to ifedi might help ease the transition due to them playing together and being friends.

Atradees

Reaction score
Ahhhh.....IDK. Looks bad any way you shake it. Hoping for a miracle. Luv my Hawks.

*If beef matters with uber athletes then we seem to have acquired a bunch.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The battle at the left guard position is going to fascinating to watch unfold. I may create a longer post on the topic at some point.

The other positions present clear choices:

Center looks fairly straight forward with Lewis holding the edge in experience over the undersized rookie Hunt.

Same for left tackle, which will pit Gilliam against newcomer Sowell.

Right tackle will most likely be either Webb, who is starting off there, or Ifedi.

Right guard will probably be Ifedi or Glowinski.

That leaves the multitude of possibilities at left guard . . . Britt may improve and hold on to the starting job. Odhiambo looks primed to come in and push for that job. Poole has similar attributes as James Carpenter, so maybe he has improved enough after a year spent on the scout team to seriously compete there. Then there is the possibility that Glowinski could move to LG if Ifedi holds down the RG position.

Seafan

Reaction score
There is a good chance that Graham starts the season on PUP. That would leave open an extra spot, possibly for Fant.

LT Gilliam Sowell
LG Odhiambo Glowinski
C Lewis Hunt
RG Ifedi Sokoli
RT Webb Poole

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The starting line up I currently expect is:
LT - Gilliam
LG - Odhiambo
C - Lewis
RG - Ifedi
RT - Webb

The first three don't need explanation imo. Starting Ifedi at RG will most likely be a good idea as his run blocking is elite already, seeing as the RG has the most run blocking and least pass blockind duties in our system it makes sense to let Ifedi develop his pass blocking there untill he moves to RT in a year. Webb looks like a solid placeholder for this year.

Then for the back ups. Sowell will take over the Bailey role, Hunt will be the center back up, Glowinski the RG back up who will get another year to get ready and Sokoli will most likely still be on the roster as project.

I think Britt is done here, as is Nowak. They have gotten their chance but didn't take it. Pool might factor into the competition but I feel like he's on the outside looking in.

2016 O-line:
LT: Gilliam, Sowell
LG: Odhiambo, Sowell
C: Lewis, Hunt, Sokoli
RG: Ifedi, Glowinski
RT: Webb, Ifedi, Sowell

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I would guess that Britt has about a 90% chance to make the roster. Even if he was beaten out by Odhiambo or Glowinski, he would still be a valuable utility player. Britt has the flexibility to play at multiple positions, like Bailey last year, and he has 36 games of experience as a starter under his belt. So while it's possible Britt is released, I don't think it's all that likely.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I think it is going to be one of those wild competitions where people are getting cut, others signed, and the cuts resigned as we go thru training camp. There is a very good chance there are depth and even starters that are not even on our team yet.

Go Hawks!!!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Gilliam, Sowell
Mad dog, Britt
Lewis, Hunt, Sokoli
Ifedi
Webb, Poole

I think Nowak, Hunter, and Fant make the PS. Does anyone think Britt has a shot to reclaim the starting RT again, or will Webb start out camps penciled in there?

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1py8pzhb said:
It could be starting Ifedi at RG, is just to get him tougher and better in his run-blocking and keep Glowinski on his toes. I think they know he can play RT but want him to have that versatility to swing at both spots.

I think they are committed to have Webb start for the year. Hes the most experienced Oline and he was solid for Oakland considering where he came from. I think Cable can get the best out of him. Not only that check Webb on instagram the guy is in phenomenal shape, he looks huge, strong, and he has ab definition at 320+.

The guy could be a player.

I'm not sure, but wasn't Webb solid for the Raiders at LG? His stint at LT for the Bears was horrible. I think RT is a new position for him...it's possible that Ifedi gets that job. Makes more sense to me to go Gilliam-Webb-Lewis-Glowinski-Ifedi.