Who got away from us in the draft?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Just wondering who you guys think management had their sights set on but got scooped up? No I am not talking about Goff, Wentz, or Elliott.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, after John threw that card away when Le'Raven was picked seems to point that we wanted him. With us possibly missing on that tackle spot, do you think in the long run it will work out okay for our offensive line?

ivotuk

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":1ntzsmre said:
Yeah, after John threw that card away when Le'Raven was picked seems to point that we wanted him. With us possibly missing on that tackle spot, do you think in the long run it will work out okay for our offensive line?

I'm glad someone else picked LeRaven. Just like I'm glad someone else picked Nkem "douche"

IMHO, and I could be wrong, but I don't think the former showed enough development in college to indicate that he could "matriculate" to the pro game. The latter, well I think everyone knows how I feel about him. The Arizona Cardinals are going to catch hell when that psycho continues his antics with a pocket full of money. Think of vintage Pacman x 10.

titan3131

Reaction score
Ronald Blair. The niners took him and we traded up immediately after.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
I think the plan was to trade down with the Broncos in the first with the hopes of still picking up Garnett but we weren't expecting the 9ers to jump ahead and snag him just after. Seems to me that would have worked out nicely if the 9ers hadn't jumped out of turn. If their plan is to use Ifedi at Guard it would seem Garnett would definitely be the better option.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Maybe Clark but I'm happy we didn't take him. We don't need more projects. I much rather have guys who can step right in like Ifedi, Odhiambo and Hunt. Other than that I doubt we really missed out on any big targets.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":254q3wew said:
I think the plan was to trade down with the Broncos in the first with the hopes of still picking up Garnett but we weren't expecting the 9ers to jump ahead and snag him just after. Seems to me that would have worked out nicely if the 9ers hadn't jumped out of turn. If their plan is to use Ifedi at Guard it would seem Garnett would definitely be the better option.

Why would we take Garnett? We already have massive competition at guard and it's not like he graded out comparable to Hutch or Iupati. We have big question marks at tackle both sides and center and with Gilliam moving to the left side the RT spot seemed like the most glaring spot on the line. Have we taken a guard before the 4th round in Pete's tenure?

I do agree if their plan was to use Ifedi at Guard the Garnett would probably be the better short term answer but I reall y doubt that is why they drafted him.

Personally I have no problem if I am wrong. The last time the 9ers jumped ahead of us they drafted the TE out of Rice (Vance McDonald) thinking that's who we were targeting and he has been a huge bust. Meanwhile we waited all the way to the 5th round and grabbed the other Rice TE (Luke Wilson) who has been much more productive.

I wouldn't be surprised if they thought they were jumping ahead of us but I think that's a good thing. Keeping 9er managements heads full of questions and second guessing is smart management not to mention funny.

kf3339

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":2iexdvtz said:

Garnett was not on our board at all. This is just delusional 49er fan talk and/or wishful thinking.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2dyaordx said:
kamikazehawk":2dyaordx said:

Garnett was not on our board at all. This is just delusional 49er fan talk and/or wishful thinking.

How can you possibly know that?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I dont know if he got away but id love to see where JS/Pete ranked Mackensie Alexander. Idk if anyone saw his sportscenter special OR Combine Interview but this guy just SCREAMS Seahawk to me. I have no doubt we would of drafted him had we had more of a need at CB. This guy is a beast. Didnt allow 1 TD in the last 20 or so games and has that swagger. That Vikings secondary is getting pretty damn good
[youtube]SWxIDiqCjHQ[/youtube]
[youtube]1ENb73rCM8g[/youtube]

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
kf3339":3vwysjlg said:
kamikazehawk":3vwysjlg said:

There is a chance I'm wrong and that they are only talking about using Ifedi as a guard for short term and their long term plan is to move him to tackle so they didn't want to draft strictly a guard. Maybe. But to state this as fact is just ridiculous. Garnett is widely accepted as a pro ready guard and Carrol has already stated that Ifedi will start out competing at RG so at least in the short term Garnett would be a better option. This is by far delusional or from any 9ers fan.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was DT Victor Butler. Just by the reactions in the war room and post draft presser.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":h7077mgo said:
I dont know if he got away but id love to see where JS/Pete ranked Mackensie Alexander. Idk if anyone saw his sportscenter special OR Combine Interview but this guy just SCREAMS Seahawk to me. I have no doubt we would of drafted him had we had more of a need at CB. This guy is a beast. Didnt allow 1 TD in the last 20 or so games and has that swagger. That Vikings secondary is getting pretty damn good

Given his arm length, and height I highly doubt he was on our board.

But you're right he's a damn good corner.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Can we know with certainty that it was Le'Raven Clark's card that was thrown away? Was the "live" feed from the war room in true current time? I was trying to determine that a couple of times. Too, picks were coming in further in advance than they were announced. Teams had picks "in" well before it was showing them to be "on the clock" during the broadcast. This is always the case.
I was sort of wondering if Braxton Miller was the one that got away during that 3rd round.

There were other rounds where I wondered about players taken right before the Hawks. We'll never know and can only speculate. 5th round - Cole Toner was taken by the Cardinals the selection before us taking Collins. Toner played Tackle at Harvard, but was projected to possibly be a Center. Then, 6th round, I really wondered when the Patriots took Elandon Roberts right before Seattle took Joey Hunt. They took awhile before the selection of Hunt and it looked like there was some regrouping going on. I had Roberts as an underrated player. 7th round, Keith Marshall was taken before Lawler. With all the backs SEA took, I wondered if they would have taken him and hoped Lawler would be available with the last pick. Perhaps Brooks is available, then, as an UDFA.

In any case, we still got our guys. That's the draft. Can't get everybody.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I wonder if they may have gone Braxton instead of Prosise and then trained him to play a similar role.

Soon as they saw Ronald Blair get drafted the jumped for Jefferson; though if Jefferson got taken first they may have then jumped for Blair.

kobebryant

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":3luhnhcp said:

I get your thinking, but I just don't see the Hawks liking him at all.

This isn't the nicest thing to say, but Garnett is a bit of a fatty; whereas Ifedi is in great shape with a sculpted physique.

Having physically fit olinemen is more crucial with this QB and the way he extends plays than it is elsewhere. I'm sure they got sick of having to rotate James Carpenter in and out of drives, and they weren't particularly pleased with Alvin Bailey and Michael Bowie's conditioning either.

Gilliam, Ifedi, and Sweezy are the type of athletic bodies that you need playing with RW, especially with the scrambling he does in hurry-up drill.

kearly

Reaction score
Pat Kirwan on Sirius Radio said that after the draft, Pete told him that there was a player they badly wanted who got taken 4 picks ahead of them. Here are the players that were taken 4 picks ahead of Seattle (excluding trade ups or picks that were within 4 picks or less of a previous Seahawks pick):

#22 WR Josh Doctson
#27 DT Kenny Clark
#86 WR Leonte Carroo
#167 SS Marqui Christian
#211 RB Kelvin Taylor
#239 LB Trevor Bates

Looking at that list, it's probably Kenny Clark, who fits a similar profile to Jarran Reed and was drafted by John Schneider's mentor. Each of Seattle's first five picks (arguably their first eight picks) all related to getting tougher in the running game so I'm guessing Seattle was locked on to a DL/OL with that first pick.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Clark would make sense, I'm pretty sure I saw a draft card removed when he was picked.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1m0h0zep said:
Can we know with certainty that it was Le'Raven Clark's card that was thrown away? Was the "live" feed from the war room in true current time? I was trying to determine that a couple of times. Too, picks were coming in further in advance than they were announced. Teams had picks "in" well before it was showing them to be "on the clock" during the broadcast. This is always the case.
I was sort of wondering if Braxton Miller was the one that got away during that 3rd round.

There were other rounds where I wondered about players taken right before the Hawks. We'll never know and can only speculate. 5th round - Cole Toner was taken by the Cardinals the selection before us taking Collins. Toner played Tackle at Harvard, but was projected to possibly be a Center. Then, 6th round, I really wondered when the Patriots took Elandon Roberts right before Seattle took Joey Hunt. They took awhile before the selection of Hunt and it looked like there was some regrouping going on. I had Roberts as an underrated player. 7th round, Keith Marshall was taken before Lawler. With all the backs SEA took, I wondered if they would have taken him and hoped Lawler would be available with the last pick. Perhaps Brooks is available, then, as an UDFA.

In any case, we still got our guys. That's the draft. Can't get everybody.

No way to know for sure on Clark, but the combination of the footage, with our interest in Clark leading up to the draft, and our selection of Odhiambo shortly after, sure points in that direction to me.