Hawks To Place RB Marshawn Lynch On Reserve/Retired by 6/1

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://nfltraderumors.co/seahawks-plan-place-rb-marshawn-lynch-reserveretired-list-june-1/

Seahawks GM John Schneider mentioned during an interview on KJR-AM (per Bob Condotta) that they do not want to spread out retired RB Marshawn Lynch‘s cap hit to 2017.

Condotta mentions that the Seahawks plan to place Lynch on the reserve/retired list by June 1.
Many have wondered why Lynch hasn’t officially retired from the NFL, despite announcing several months ago that he was calling it a career.

It’s worth mentioning that Lynch reportedly has yet to file his retirement papers, which has held up the process.

As of now, Lynch counts $11.5 million against their 2016 salary cap, according to OverTheCap.com. However, placing him on the reserve/retired list will clear $6.5 million in cap room and create $5 million in dead money.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/727523496033550340[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/727523584692772864[/tweet]

Hwkfn12

Reaction score
Im beginning to wonder if this is like a last hurrah. Maybe lynch isn't done. Who knows with him. I

Vetamur

Reaction score
While he was in Africa, it made sense he couldnt do his paperwork. Now its starting to smack of something not right.. I think he wants to leave a door open to come back to a team of his choice should the desire hit him again.

sutz

Reaction score
Vetamur":2t0025gr said:
While he was in Africa, it made sense he couldnt do his paperwork. Now its starting to smack of something not right.. I think he wants to leave a door open to come back to a team of his choice should the desire hit him again.
Starting to look that way, and the team, quite rightfully, doesn't want to give away any of their protections or options , either.

Love Marshawn, but I'm kind of on the team's side here with several million in cap space at issue.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Yeah I think the team was just seeing how the draft shook out to see if they needed to sign another player before the season.

I think they are happy now with the team and would rather free up 2017 cash by taking the full hit this year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Is this the team's choice or does Lynch have to file the paperwork before then?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I have great admiration for Lynch as a player. He did some great things for this team and Seattle. But this game is getting old. If his heart was in it he would not have indicated he was calling it a career. So not filing the paperwork and keeping the team in limbo is nonsense. Marshawn don't be Farvre.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I could see him playing for the Raiders next year - and only the Raiders. Seriously.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It is still entirely possible that the team asked Lynch to delay filing his paperwork until after the draft to keep the option of spreading the cap hit. I would give it another week or so before tearing into Lynch.

-bsd

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":3pxm7792 said:
This is the team's choice. They could release him, but that would release his rights to another team (if he wants to continue playing) without compensation. This way, if he wants to un-retire, the Seahawks retain his contract rights and any team that tried to sign him would have to compensate the Hawks. As much as I love Marsh, this is a good business decision by the team that protects their rights, and more importantly, manages any salary cap issues.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
sutz":17wu4vxv said:
Vetamur":17wu4vxv said:
Starting to look that way, and the team, quite rightfully, doesn't want to give away any of their protections or options , either.

Love Marshawn, but I'm kind of on the team's side here with several million in cap space at issue.

I think it's just marshawn being marshawn. I can't imagine that filing some paper work is a huge priority for him.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":3qf4odb7 said:
HawkGA":3qf4odb7 said:
This is the team's choice. They could release him, but that would release his rights to another team (if he wants to continue playing) without compensation. This way, if he wants to un-retire, the Seahawks retain his contract rights and any team that tried to sign him would have to compensate the Hawks. As much as I love Marsh, this is a good business decision by the team that protects their rights, and more importantly, manages any salary cap issues.

So he doesn't actually have to sign any paperwork?

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":1uyp1har said:
sutz":1uyp1har said:
HawkGA":1uyp1har said:

So he doesn't actually have to sign any paperwork?
Technically, I guess not. But until the end of 2017, the Seahawks own his rights, and he can't play elsewhere until all of this is resolved. He's still under contract here. Even if he fills out the paperwork, he would need the 'Hawks blessing, contract-wise, to play elsewhere this year. If he'd been more prompt, the team might have treated this a little differently, but it is what it is.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Hasn't he been building houses in Haiti and teaching children football in Egypt for the past few months?

Dude's not even in the country.