Ifedi at RG

HawkGA

Reaction score
So . . . . isn't there actually a pretty promising player at that position? I'll never understand the Cable approach to the Oline.

This is per Pete from the ESPN blog.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":2odqjhzn said:
So . . . . isn't there actually a pretty promising player at that position? I'll never understand the Cable approach to the Oline.

Ifedi wi start out there. We'll see how long he stays.

Glowinski was playing with the starters at LG during practices today, for what it's worth.

I think we will end up with Gilliam, Glowinski, Webb and Ifedi starting in one form or another, and I'm anxious to see what happens at center.

kearly

Reaction score
Webb also has 36" arms and has some similarities to Ifedi. Webb has six years NFL experience playing at tackle. I'm guessing that Ifedi will be our right tackle of the future, but Webb has a significant edge in terms of experience so it makes sense to give Webb the first crack at RT in 2016.

I really hope Glow can stick at LG.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ioxzrwz said:

This is more about Cable wanting a physically ridiculous right side. More about his prototype for that side of the line right now, I'm thinking. Long limbed, athletic, beefy, strong ass-kickers on the right side.

Ifedi will get a crack at tackle when Webb's journeyman stint is up. Glow will compete at both guard spots in camp, I'm assuming. The situation is already looking like it has the potential to become much better. I'm really looking forward to seeing who wins the LG/LT jobs and watching the young line get some snaps under it's belt. I'm optimistic - and expecting considerable growing pains.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3vz4x6it said:
HawkGA":3vz4x6it said:

This is more about Cable wanting a physically ridiculous right side. More about his prototype for that side of the line right now, I'm thinking. Long limbed, athletic, beefy, strong ass-kickers on the right side.

Ifedi will get a crack at tackle when Webb's journeyman stint is up. Glow will compete at both guard spots in camp, I'm assuming. The situation is already looking like it has the potential to become much better. I'm really looking forward to seeing who wins the LG/LT jobs and watching the young line get some snaps under it's belt. I'm optimistic - and expecting considerable growing pains.

I REALLY hope he beats Britt for the LG spot. How can it get any worse? And the kid show signs of having big up side.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
kearly":tluxz6y1 said:
Webb also has 36" arms and has some similarities to Ifedi. Webb has six years NFL experience playing at tackle. I'm guessing that Ifedi will be our right tackle of the future, but Webb has a significant edge in terms of experience so it makes sense to give Webb the first crack at RT in 2016.

I really hope Glow can stick at LG.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember you or somebody else describing at the end of the season how Glo doesn't really fit what they look for in an LG. Am I remembering that correctly?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Starting out with Ifedi at RG makes sense to me.

As Pete and Cable have pointed out, he's a right side guy... and needs to learn to play with his hand in the dirt... so why not start out at RG when we have the journey man Webb to start out at RT.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":319b0e5z said:

Cable likes guys that can play well at more than one position.

So do I.

;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Britt will be a capable NFL backup. It sucks we used a 2nd round pick on an Offensive line backup, but he just is not starter material. Glowinski has the potential to be an upgrade at LG. If Ifedi can do well at RG, then a Guard combo of Glowinski & ifedi will be better than Britt and Glowinski.

Spiderdan

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":d6a8jv91 said:
Maelstrom787":d6a8jv91 said:
HawkGA":d6a8jv91 said:

I REALLY hope he beats Britt for the LG spot. How can it get any worse? And the kid show signs of having big up side.
Never ask "how can it get any worse". It can always get worse.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The situation can also get better, as can Britt. I don't know why people here think that once they've seen someone's skills or lack thereof, that's all they'll ever expect.

I'd love all our new acquisitions to be better than their predecessors, but I also want the vets to step up.

sutz

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1ilm1h8c said:
The situation can also get better, as can Britt. I don't know why people here think that once they've seen someone's skills or lack thereof, that's all they'll ever expect.

I'd love all our new acquisitions to be better than their predecessors, but I also want the vets to step up.
Yeah, only the best players can come in and start on the OL the first year without problems. For most, it takes a couple of years.

They drafted 3, they brought in a couple of vets. I think our line will be much better than the first half of last season.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
PC said they want to get bigger. Ifedi will play RG and Webb RT. Don't count out Odhiambo at LG. Glowinski is similar size at 6-4/310 (Rees is 6-4/314) and has a year of experience with the Hawks, but the rookie 3rd rounder is going to compete at LG per PC.

Center will be interesting. That could be a wide open position for whichever player can take it. I think Joey Hunt may be given a great opportunity. Reading about him http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/30/114 ... d-pick-215 , he sounds like the right Center to learn on the job how to battle and limit the likes of Aaron Donald, etc.

drrew

Reaction score
Gil Brandt said that when going back and looking at Ifedi's sophmore tape when he played guard at A&M, he thinks he'll be all pro at that position.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I like Glow, but it's important to remember he has only started one game.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
sutz":26e0hibt said:
HawkGA":26e0hibt said:

So do I.

;)
Then why has he focused on guys who suck at every position the entire time he's been here?

Cable has absolutely no idea what he's trying to do, or how to accomplish it.

sutz

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2pllkz8y said:
sutz":2pllkz8y said:
HawkGA":2pllkz8y said:

So do I.

;)
Then why has he focused on guys who suck at every position the entire time he's been here?

You're opinion is duly noted. Not agreed with, but noted. ;)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":emxw45j1 said:
sutz":emxw45j1 said:
HawkGA":emxw45j1 said:

So do I.

;)

I think the implication that Cable is just some sort of bumbling idiot who has no clue what he's doing is pretty unfair, but to each their own.

It's very hard to build a good offensive line in the NFL. We're talking about the guy who took Sweezy and turned him from a 7th round DT to a guard worth a decent second contract. I think he knew what he wanted on the line coming into this draft and has done a good job setting the line up with good, young talent to compete.

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3bsscn5y said:
PC said they want to get bigger. Ifedi will play RG and Webb RT. Don't count out Odhiambo at LG. Glowinski is similar size at 6-4/310 (Rees is 6-4/314) and has a year of experience with the Hawks, but the rookie 3rd rounder is going to compete at LG per PC.

Center will be interesting. That could be a wide open position for whichever player can take it. I think Joey Hunt may be given a great opportunity. Reading about him http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/30/114 ... d-pick-215 , he sounds like the right Center to learn on the job how to battle and limit the likes of Aaron Donald, etc.

There's a lot of underground rumblings about Justin Britt at center. Hawkblogger was one, but I surprised to hear John Clayton mention it as well.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":lt83gnoq said:
TeamoftheCentury":lt83gnoq said:

There's a lot of underground rumblings about Justin Britt at center. Hawkblogger was one, but I surprised to hear John Clayton mention it as well.
Oh wow. I hadn't heard that. Maybe it's because I live on sand / not any ground under to rumble. :lol: