http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... tired-list

Here's my thoughts.

Not HOF:
-total numbers, 10K is the measuring stick
-Didn't play long enough
-Media hates him (they vote on the hof)
-Starred for Seattle way out in south alaska

In HOF
-Iconic moments, The beast quake will live forever, as will a number of his other huge plays
-Heart beat to (what I hope) was a dynasty in Seattle, lead the way to ONE of this teams superbowl wins during this window,
-Best when the stakes were highest, he has the 2nd or 3rd most 100 yard playoff games in nfl history
-Defined a generation, I watched one of those pre draft shows and 3 of the 5 backs who they talked to said they "mimic their game after Beast Mode"
-In 5 years time the 10K mark might be irrelevant in todays nfl, where a 20 carry a game back is rare and backfield splits and the devaluing of the back field goes on.

Thoughts?

Edited to say, the video I linked talks about it, the story below is actually about him getting placed on the retired list...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Wouldn't get in cuz media hates him, even if he had borederline necessary numbers which he doesn't. Shoo-in for Hawks ROH though.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If he gets in, it will be via the Lynn Swann/John Stallworth route. Not outstanding career numbers, but plenty of postseason success and memorable runs. Whoever argues his case should reference Earl Campbell and the fact that Lynch played in a pass-happy era.

chris98251

Reaction score
Depends on the PC climate at the time he is eligible, If Owens gets in that will break a barrier also.

Tical21

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3ff88za2 said:
If he gets in, it will be via the Lynn Swann/John Stallworth route. Not outstanding career numbers, but plenty of postseason success and memorable runs. Whoever argues his case should reference Earl Campbell and the fact that Lynch played in a pass-happy era.
The problem with this is that Campbell led the league in rushing three years in a row. Marshawn never did, was only in the top-5 twice, and both those years he was like 500 yards away from leading the league. He's one of my favorite all-time players, but he doesn't get past the Hall of Very Good. There are way too many backs with better numbers that aren't in.

kearly

Reaction score
It might take a few tries, but I think he gets in. He's one of the most beloved and iconic running backs in NFL history. Not just in Seattle.

Tical21

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2llqarh0 said:
The problem with this is that Campbell led the league in rushing three years in a row. Marshawn never did, was only in the top-5 twice, and both those years he was like 500 yards away from leading the league. He's one of my favorite all-time players, but he doesn't get past the Hall of Very Good. There are way too many backs with better numbers that aren't in.

drrew

Reaction score
Not happening and I'm not sure he'll ever be a finalist.

On the career rushing yards list he's behind guys like Chris Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, and Thomas Jones. We'd laugh if someone brought up any of those names in relation to the HOF. 17 backs with more career rushing yards are not yet in the HOF. It gets a little better when looking at TDs, but he's still behind 10 other non HOFers.

Marshawn had some absolutely iconic moments but only 2012 was an all pro level season. 2011, 2013 and 2014 he was very good, but not HOF level.

McGruff

Reaction score
BullHawk33":vz20jpki said:
He'll be left at the threshold of the HOF, 1 yard away.

Ouch. I hate you. And you may sadly be right.

Marshawn takes that ball into the end zone for back to back championships and this may be a different conversTion.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think so, in all honesty. I can't really think of another RB who was more important in terms turning a franchise into a big badarse and then leading the team to a championship except for maybe Walter Payton. If you're talking foundation of a team or a main weight bearing support beam of a structure or some ish.....he's pretty much the man. Well, other than the people who believed in him and supported him anyway (PC & JS).

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":3nv7mcyp said:
BullHawk33":3nv7mcyp said:

Marshawn takes that ball into the end zone for back to back championships and this may be a different conversTion.

I actually think that moment cemented his legend. After the game nobody was talking about Brady's 4th ring, they were talking about Marshawn not getting the ball.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3kkgz2ja said:
It might take a few tries, but I think he gets in. He's one of the most beloved and iconic running backs in NFL history. Not just in Seattle.
^^^^What he said^^^^
The phrase "BEASTMODE" is just too hot to be ignored.
There are going to be RB's coming down the pike that will invoke discussion of whether or not they have the "BEASTMODE" factor.
Lynch has set that bar pretty damned high.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":301387ni said:
McGruff":301387ni said:
BullHawk33":301387ni said:

I actually think that moment cemented his legend. After the game nobody was talking about Brady's 4th ring, they were talking about Marshawn not getting the ball.
You're probably right. That was the national topic of discussion and not just in Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
I certainly don't expect a first ballot entry. But I suspect he might sneak in a few years in the future. When you look at the highlights of the last 6 years or so, Marshawn features high. Plus, having the SB ring should help his chances.

We'll see, of course, but I'm not sure I like his chances.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you are looking at a measuring stick for why he is deserving, pick two:

Broken tackles (per carry)
Yards after contact

Then compare those #s with a lot of those in the hall.

For a power back, he is otherworldly.

Total yardage is a result of a number of factors, the offensive system, effectiveness of the OL, FB and even the ability of the QB - counterbalanced by better passing offenses giving a RB fewer chances to make yards. But regardless, taking yardage in the aggregate and using it to measure a RB total effectiveness? Simplistic.

The other important # is where the RB 1st encounters the defender, is it 4 yards past the LOS or 2 yards in the backfield?

By any measure you have to say that Marshawn Lynch is HoF caliber in ability during his time at RB, even if the longevity #s are not there. I mean, my god, isn't someone like Bettis in the HOF? He was good but nowhere near as great.

I really hate when people just look at data and ignore the context. Whether he gets in or not is really dependent on voting, and when it comes to trusting the judgment of people - well as the saying goes, you rarely go broke underestimating the intelligence of people. But as far as merit? Clearly HoF by any standard BUT longevity.

And frankly I think longevity is one of the least valid means of validating someone there is. You can be very good for a long time but never great - and the numbers will look fantastic. And then there are clearly great players that for whatever reason never got the longevity - but were leagues better than some of the numbers ponies that make it in.

The test should be, is this player one of the greatest to ever play at his position? For Lynch, I would certainly say he fits.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'd like to think the hall would look at just more than numbers. Beast Mode was an iconic player that will be the subject of "greatest football player" conversations for years to come.

Shawn Alexander had more yards and won an MVP. But I wouldn't put him in the hall any more than I would have given Torretta the Heisman.

If the HOF is about giving participation medals for the people that had most yards or longest careers, then fine. But I'd rather have the guy that said, "I ain’t never seen no talking win me nothing."

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hard to say. I don't see him as a first ballot guy. Have to depend on the class going in.