Looking back on past Seahawks drafts in this era

kearly

Reaction score
How did your draft day grade compare to your retrospect grade each year? Which draft was better than you thought it would be, which one was worse? I'm going to factor in UDFA as it is part of the draft process and I'll include players who became minor stars after leaving Seattle (Carp, Parker, Howard) since it at least proves that Seattle's talent evaluation was on the mark. Whether you want to or not is up to you.

Personal draft grade at the time / Personal draft grade in retrospect. (Notable draftees / UDFAs) Trades.

2010. A+ / A+ (Okung, ET, Tate, Thurmond, Kam.) Traded for Leon Washington
2011. B- / A+ (Carp, Wright, Sherman, Maxwell, Smith | UDFA | ADB, Johnson, Lockette, Morgan, Parker)
2012. A+ / A+ (Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, Howard, Lane, Sweezy | UDFA | Kearse, Shead)
2013. B- / D (Michael, Hill, Willson, Simon, Ware | UDFA | Bailey) Traded for Harvin.
2014. D / D- (Richardson, Britt, Marsh, Pinkins | UDFA | Gilliam, Coyle)
2015. A / A (Clark, Lockett, Glowinsky, Smith | UDFA | Rawls.) Traded for Graham.

Most pleasant surprise: 2011.

I felt underwhelmed with the way the draft started, and at the time we had no idea the kind of magic that Seattle could work in late round / UDFA. This was the year that Seattle killed it more on day 3 / UDFA than any other year in team history. KJ Wright is one of the best 4-3 OLBs in the game, and Sherman is arguably the best corner in the game. Baldwin is among the best slot WRs in the game. Carp is a pretty good guard for the Jets. Maxwell was a very good corner and got paid like it before turning into Nnamdi Asomugha 2.0 in Philly. Malcolm Smith was an excellent situational defender who lucked into a SB MVP. Parker turned into a stud, sadly Seattle didn't quite hold onto him long enough.

Biggest letdown: 2013.

Seattle swung hard for the fences in 2013, loading up on explosive play makers with Harvin, Michael and Willson, and generally spent their draft picks on guys who projected as high upside 3 down starters. Harvin was a disaster, the less said the better. Michael has struggled to get with the good graces of his coaches despite a career YPC of 4.7. He may soon be on his way out (again), fairly or not. Willson has been a fast JAG who can't pass block. Bailey looked good early on, then gradually lost motivation and is now off to Cleveland. Hill has been okay.

Recent drafts:

The 2014 draft still has another year or two to redeem itself, but as of right now it looks pretty bad. It very well could be that Gilliam might be the only member of the 2014 draft class to get a 2nd contract with Seattle. And Gilliam is currently a replacement level left tackle. I like Richarson's potential, but can he stay healthy? Britt has been a disaster so far. Marsh has been pretty good as a special teams contributor, but pretty bad at everything else. Pinkins looks interesting as a LB, but as of now he's a roster bubble guy. Brock Coyle is essentially the Chris Maragos of the LB corps- it's a credit to his work ethic that he's even in the NFL at all, but he often looks shaky and overwhelmed when replacing one of our starting linebackers.

The 2015 draft. Normally I don't like grading a draft after just one year, but the 2015 draft class got off to such a great start that it would be a bit of an upset if this draft didn't end up with an A grade. In a lot of ways it is ahead of schedule, and that's not even considering the Thomas Rawls surprise. It has a good chance to end up as an A+, especially if Rawls and Graham recover from their injuries.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
2010-12 has to be one of the greatest 3 season stretches of drafting in NFL history. Each one of those drafts has HOF quality players in Thomas, Sherm, and Wilson. Wagner could be in that discussion as well.

C-Hawk-of-OZ

Reaction score
Trrrroy":y4zaub13 said:
2010-12 has to be one of the greatest 3 season stretches of drafting in NFL history. Each one of those drafts has HOF quality players in Thomas, Sherm, and Wilson. Wagner could be in that discussion as well.

I believe that is because Pete was fresh out of college and knew all the players out there from recruitment the years before. I know everyone likes to talk that it is all JS and his crews but Pete played a huge part of the decisions.

As the years move on Pete no longer has such an in depth knowledge of the college players like he once did. But those couple of years he was so far ahead of the other teams in detail of the gems in the rough.

Now they are into the same scouting information that the other teams have. They will have ups and downs based on their analysis, having said that they know what type of player they want and will always be better than most teams at evaluation.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Big sky nailed it :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

Ruminator

Reaction score
A major contributor to the poorness of the 2014 draft was the lack of homework and off-season urgency, by the front office's own admission as I recall, in scouting and planning their draft strategy. It may have been a challenge for them to get back to business after having just brought home the Lombardi.

Incidentally, if you do a "looking back on past drafts" post again in 2-3 years, I predict the "C" you gave the current draft in another thread will easily become at least an "A-." Especially if you factor UDFAs.