FB options

cheese22

Reaction score
It seems most positions on this team have an exact physical description and role. The one exception is FB. They've drafted and played just about every possible size and shape of player over the past few years. If you could do a lineup of Tukuafu, Robinson, Smalls, Cottam and now the tryouts for Madden and Bryant you'd have all shapes and sizes and positional background. In that group the college positions are DT, QB, FB, HB/TE, HB and DT. I guess the one thing you really want is someone who knows who to block and makes a whole.

titan3131

Reaction score
1. Tukuafu isn't on our team.
2. Brandin Bryant as a Dt FB is a monster and will establish the bully mentality. This coupled with his athleticism a lot of us already have him penciled in.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
1) Cottom
2) Bryant
3) Tupou
4) Madden

I've actually seen teams do this quite a bit since 2000 or so and it was because of those damn Rams. The FB position as an actual gameday active roster position has faded away since. With Beast Mode retiring and some uncertainty as to a consistent high level of production, regardless of circumstances, and with a new found ability to pass the ball with more efficiency; it would seem that we are asking the FB to do more than just play FB (30% of offensive snaps maybe?) and ST.

We might succeed and we might fail, but I like the players that we're throwing at it. It's kind of a shotgun approach and we may end up going after a real FB at some point if they all fail, but this isn't new.

I still like Cottom to do it. He's a hell of an athlete at 262 pounds. Same can be said for Bryant, although not as athletic at 289. I almost wouldn't mind handing the ball off to Cottom at the GL too just to see. I think he can be kind of Marcell Reese-ish, but bigger. The new breed...

All in all though, it's hard to see how many we keep at each position. Right now, I'd say we're keeping 4 backs and try to sneak a FB in, doubling at another position with real upside at each. It's not infeasible, but it might still be improbable. Teams generally have to come back to hiring a full time FB as the season wears on and weather and other elements like injury become a factor. There will be games that you just can't throw the FB and have only one recourse. Therefore, you HAVE TO be able to COUNT ON IT.

We'll see....

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
titan3131":1otp67rz said:
1. Tukuafu isn't on our team.
2. Brandin Bryant as a Dt FB is a monster and will establish the bully mentality. This coupled with his athleticism a lot of us already have him penciled in.

He never said Tukuafu was on the team.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3etx3mp6 said:
1) Cottom
2) Bryant
3) Tupou
4) Madden

I've actually seen teams do this quite a bit since 2000 or so and it was because of those damn Rams. The FB position as an actual gameday active roster position has faded away since. With Beast Mode retiring and some uncertainty as to a consistent high level of production, regardless of circumstances, and with a new found ability to pass the ball with more efficiency; it would seem that we are asking the FB to do more than just play FB (30% of offensive snaps maybe?) and ST.

We might succeed and we might fail, but I like the players that we're throwing at it. It's kind of a shotgun approach and we may end up going after a real FB at some point if they all fail, but this isn't new.

I still like Cottom to do it. He's a hell of an athlete at 262 pounds. Same can be said for Bryant, although not as athletic at 289. I almost wouldn't mind handing the ball off to Cottom at the GL too just to see. I think he can be kind of Marcell Reese-ish, but bigger. The new breed...

All in all though, it's hard to see how many we keep at each position. Right now, I'd say we're keeping 4 backs and try to sneak a FB in, doubling at another position with real upside at each. It's not infeasible, but it might still be improbable. Teams generally have to come back to hiring a full time FB as the season wears on and weather and other elements like injury become a factor. There will be games that you just can't throw the FB and have only one recourse. Therefore, you HAVE TO be able to COUNT ON IT.

We'll see....

The homer in me is rooting for Tupou but I think Bryant and Cottom have the best shot due to positionsl versatility and athleticism.

Madden will have to gain 20 pounds and he would still be lightest option by 20 pounds. Although he might be the most talented runner out of the group.

Seafan

Reaction score
It would seem Madden/Bryant have the best chance.

There are two other minicamp FBs named Kyle Coleman and Cody Fulleton the later being 6-1 280 and wearing #91.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bryant and Cottom have the versatility that gives them the best chance to land a roster spot. I REALLY hope Bryant pulls it off because he jumps off the screen on 'D' when you watch his film. Imagine the nightmares LBer would have about lining up against him. He's a beast on the DL, and would be like an even quicker, slightly lighter version of Sweezy at FB.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I think it's at the very least clear they won't have a pure FB on the 53 man roster. Madden would be a FB/RB hybrid, Bryant a FB/DT hybrid and Cottom a FB/TE hybrid and I'm pretty sure these are the three guys with the best shot right now.