Who's your anti-adopt a rookie

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not necessarily a guy you're rooting against (they're seahawks, we should be rooting for all of them.), but somebody you think is being vastly overrated by others here on this board.

For me it's Joey hunt. There are some who think he'll be our starting center, personally I think he's practice squad at best, and maybe not even that. I'm rooting for him because if he's great it makes the seahawks better, but I think he's going to get tossed around like a rag doll against nfl DTs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I get this weird feeling about Lawler. He's not fast, and he lost 15 pounds between the combine and now, so he's not physical as well. I just have a feeling he won't be able to get off the line when the pads go on.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I wouldnt use vastly in conjuction to overrated. You should have just said "pick who you think will have a less chance to make it"

Hunt isnt a vastly overrated 6th round pick, he checks all boxes in what a quality OC needs to be but size and arm length.

Lawler isnt a vastly overrated 7th rounder, Seahawks bought the best hands in the draft, Lawler will work on his body if thats what the team wants him to do.

The only overrated rookie Seahawks took out of his projected context is Odhiambo.

All in all if you are just using vastly overrated in meaning as hyped up prospect then had Vernon Adams been signed.

He would have been the king of vastly overrated.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":nzpx3fl3 said:
I wouldnt use vastly in conjuction to overrated. You should have just said "pick who you think will have a less chance to make it"

Hunt isnt a vastly overrated 6th round pick, he checks all boxes in what a quality OC needs to be but size and arm length.

Lawler isnt a vastly overrated 7th rounder, Seahawks bought the best hands in the draft, Lawler will work on his body if thats what the team wants him to do.

The only overrated rookie Seahawks took out of his projected context is Odhiambo.

All in all if you are just using vastly overrated in meaning as hyped up prospect then had Vernon Adams been signed.

He would have been the king of vastly overrated.

Yes, over hyped would have been a better term then overrated. Drafted or undrafted. I'm talking hype jobs by us fans, not whether they were drafted to early.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
This is kind of the anti-Carroll philosophy thread. We could go through the list of everyone they drafted and pick out the negatives. Ifedi needs to become a lot more consistent with his technique. Reed needs to demonstrate the decisiveness to play in a one-gap scheme. Vennett needs to get stronger and improve as a run blocker. Odhiambo also has to get stronger, stay healthy, and adjust his technique to playing inside. Prosise needs to learn how to pass protect, secure the football, and run with physicality. Hunt needs to prove he has enough smarts, power, stoutness, and technical savvy to overcome his lack of height. Lawler needs to show that he can run precise routes and create separation. Etc., etc., etc. No one comes into this league a perfect player; the philosophy leads them to pick players whose strengths and high ceilings will help the team compete as they continue to develop.

Last year, I was least keen on the Terry Poole draft choice because he had so many technical flaws and was not in great physical shape. However, after a year spent on the practice squad, refining his technique, and after an off-season spent getting in much better physical shape, Poole certainly has an opportunity to make an impact and fight for a roster spot in training camp. The very things that reminded me of the worst traits possessed by James Carpenter, i.e. out of shape and lumbering, now remind me of some of Carpenter's better attributes.

Britt's move to center would appear to be an early indication that Hunt could face a similar road on the practice squad developing. But then again, Hunt has flashed many of the attributes as a center that Britt currently lacks. If Hunt shows the toughness and power as a run blocker to complement his savvy in pass pro and as a vocal leader, he could very well steal a spot on the roster.

two dog

Reaction score
Then again, Britt's move to center may be just another move on his way out the door.
He has been damned by Pete's praise of "versatility" that Alvin Bailey enjoyed at one time.

Atradees

Reaction score
I would have to say anything to do with the offensive line. We picked a marginal star in Ifedi....we picked two more guys who realistically were undrafted free agents...yawn. There was better talent available.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3u8up34p said:
I hate the offseason.
This. Seriously Pete never drafts a player to a position exception being quarterback. He drafts a guy with whatever quality and may just put him in a position he has never played like it's college yet it's the NFL and he succeeds more often than not.

He has a definite idea of what he wants in each position and position group but will switch players at the drop of a hat if he's looking for a certain attitude or skillset.

In otherwords I'm not his Huckleberry and won't play this theory craft white room game he proposes. I believe in all the players on this team until they are not. Even Travaris Jackson if they resign him for some reason I can't fathom.

Tical21

Reaction score
You sunnuvaquackyellowbelliedmountaingorilla, stay away from Joey Hunt.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Throwdown":10pisahc said:
I mean it was Adams but he left without a contract so... I don't know lol

Well, he gets more discussion than some of the players with contracts.

Willyeye

Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed in myself for not having predicted even one draft pick by the Hawks ths year. I thought for sure they would take Spriggs rather then Ifedi, so I didn't even have Ifedi on my list. I hate being so wrong every year. My last hope for being a Nostradamus was my prediction that Vernon Adams would be signed as a UDFA. Truly, that's the only reason I even mentioned him in comments until Minicamp. Of course, I was wrong again.

But my anti-adopt a rookie would have to be Odhiambo. I'd have been fine with him if they got him in the 6th round, but Pick #97 in the 3rd round was just way too much of a reach. Justin Britt all over again. Terry Poole all over again. Every year. A waste of a high pick for another injury-prone player. And of course I had Connor McGovern pegged for one of their late 3rd round picks. I have a bad feeling that McGovern will end up being a TOP Guard for the Broncos...a real beast.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":24r9k2qn said:
Hawknballs":24r9k2qn said:
I hate the offseason.
This. Seriously Pete never drafts a player to a position exception being quarterback. He drafts a guy with whatever quality and may just put him in a position he has never played like it's college yet it's the NFL and he succeeds more often than not.

He has a definite idea of what he wants in each position and position group but will switch players at the drop of a hat if he's looking for a certain attitude or skillset.

In otherwords I'm not his Huckleberry and won't play this theory craft white room game he proposes. I believe in all the players on this team until they are not. Even Travaris Jackson if they resign him for some reason I can't fathom.

Yeah I just don't understand the boredom that must spawn the creation of a thread where the only intent is to focus on what could go wrong.

May as well start a "WHICH CRITICAL PLAYER GETS INJURED AND MISSES THE MAJORITY OF THE SEASON?" thread.

Why go negative? Man I've had a crappy year but at every opportunity to create and converse I don't see any reason to go negative. Maybe it's the legal weed here but come on ladies and dudes, leave the dread behind for a minute.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Erebus":1ba4b5mr said:
I'm probably most skeptical of Odhiambo making much of an impact. I hope I'm wrong.

That's the Guard who never played a full season without injury, right? Yeah, I'm going with him.

Since Ifedi is going to be a Guard, it lessens the need for Odhiambo to come in and make an impact since I think Glow will be fine in the other Guard spot. That said, I worry that the Hawks are screwed at the Tackle position (which, yes, if off topic so I'll stop there).

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Zack Brooks strikes as somebody who believes he has already arrived, and will lean on his natural ability like a crutch rather than spending time in the film room. That is my impression from his interviews, so we'll see if what's on the surface is any indication of the true person. If my suspicion is true, he won't see much playing time. Seems like he's approaching this whole rook thing the same way Christine Michael did.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I really liked some of the Hawks' picks (Reed was a steal; I like Lawler and the value on him; same for Jefferson as Lawler; I'm intrigued by Prosise albeit with some questions; I like Vannett but not sure on the value).

The only picks I really didn't like were Odhiambo (just too much risk for a 3rd round pick at a position of serious need) and Ifedi.

Ifedi was put in the position to be a top 10 pick in this draft, and just simply didn't produce (in the exact same ways that he'd never produced). He's a hell of an athlete and by all accounts a good character guy, but has just never been a particularly good football player. I don't know if its focus or just inability (Hawks fans should be hoping for the former) but in this first round at a position of major need I just really don't like drafting a project. If he went in the 2nd to a team that could afford to sit him I'd like it much more, but an offensive lineman who is a liability in pass pro at the college level and moves his team backwards with penalties way too much just isn't someone you want to plug in as a starter on a team with legitimate super bowl aspirations.

It could pan out, but I just really don't like a team as talented as the Hawks with a major need at the position going so high risk/high reward in the first round. The Seahawks don't need a possible Pro-Bowler three years from now on the offensive line, they need plug-and-play average to above average starters. Ifedi is MUCH more of the former than the latter IMO.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fair on Ifedi, Popeyejones. But, it wouldn't be a Seattle draft without taking an unpolished athlete with their first pick. It'd be like Baalke not taking wingspan guy or a ACL-recovering big name.

Latest posts