Peter King talking to Ross Tucker about Seattle's OL

Joyodongo

Reaction score
http://feeds.feedburner.com/RossTuckerFootballPodcast

Listen to: RTFP #438: Ross's Mom & Peter King

FF to 33': on Marshawn Lynch as potential Hall of Famer
FF to 36'30'': on Seattle's OL

Very interesting comments: basically they say (and agree) that, even though the FO trust a lot in Tom Cable, with so many changes and so little investment, it's going to take 1 year to properly develop the O-line.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Joyodongo":v3k7j8c4 said:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/RossTuckerFootballPodcast

Listen to: RTFP #438: Ross's Mom & Peter King

FF to 33': on Marshawn Lynch as potential Hall of Famer
FF to 36'30'': on Seattle's OL

Very interesting comments: basically they say (and agree) that, even though the FO trust a lot in Tom Cable, with so many changes and so little investment, it's going to take 1 year to properly develop the O-line.

I don't think a year is unrealistic (or unexpected). Luckily we have a QB that can turn broken plays into big gains on the regular.

I'd imagine they're a project but I don't think it'll be as bad as last season personally.

Largent80

Reaction score
We don't need the King of Peters to tell us the state of our line. We WATCH the Seahawks intently and scrutinize every move they make.

That being said, this years line is going to be better for the simple fact it can't be worse.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'm worried about Justin Britt at center. The guy creates no movement in the run game and gives way too much ground in pass pro. Consequently interior pressure is what gives Russell the most trouble, so suffice it to say I'm bearish on Britt.

Laloosh

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1vc1hkfp said:
I'm worried about Justin Britt at center. The guy creates no movement in the run game and gives way too much ground in pass pro. Consequently interior pressure is what gives Russell the most trouble, so suffice it to say I'm bearish on Britt.

We didn't cut Lewis. So we have a fallback :) (sarcasm)

OP
OP
Joyodongo

Joyodongo

Reaction score
Largent80":me23qhc2 said:
We don't need the King of Peters to tell us the state of our line. We WATCH the Seahawks intently and scrutinize every move they make.

That being said, this years line is going to be better for the simple fact it can't be worse.

We all know the state of the OL. What is uncertain is the FUTURE of the OL. Will it take 8 games, like PC said the other day at Brock&Salk, or one year, like these guys said? That's the point ...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Conventional thinking is always there as a lazy fall back for a media member to voice an unqualified opinion on a subject they have no place discussing and then ultimately regret down the line.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I don't think it is to unrealistic to think the o line will be a lot better than projected. Britt has as much chance to start at center as he does at left tackle. This is a huge group, and has potential to be an imediate upgrade to what we started with last year. I refuse to be that pessimistic about this. Okung and sweezy had to go. Gilliam has potential to be a pro bowl left tackle. Will immediately be one of the most athletic LT in the game. And ifedi is an immediate upgrade to sweezy, ray Charles could see that. Glowinski is an immediate upgrade to britt. Pat Lewis ended the season at least average, so if another guy can beat him out, great. Webb is a damn monster, and if he is struggling, we now have a decent prospect at TE to help block. All of the all pro linemen were rookies once too, a lot of them had an immediate impact. These guys are going to be hungry, something that I haven't seen in our line for a few years. Also, it seems the coaches have a good idea as to who they want to start where. So continuity will be a lot better this year going into pre season. Seems to me that communication was the biggest problem last year. Pat lewis came in and they were instantly better. I am excited.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Does Britt know how to recognize Ds and make the line calls? I'm pretty sure that was one of the major problems that made the line so historically inept the first half of last season (as opposed to merely fairly bad like the second half). Just getting someone at center who had at least a little experience looked like it suddenly made all the difference.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Last season it felt like the tackles were solid but the inside was very suspect. This year I feel like the reverse is going to happen. I think Ifedi will be fine at guard, I think Glowinski will be much better than Britt at LG .. and I think Lewis or Hunt will be the center. (I still don't see Britt making the team, but who knows)

Gilliam at LT is scary though. Webb at RT is even worse. There are reasons the Raiders moved him inside .. he was one of the worst tackles in the league in Chicago.

Russell better be loading up on that recovery water.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
When I was in the military, my roommate was a former OL from Alabama. We also used to hang out with an FBI agent that was a former Seahawk OL (I don't think he ever actually made the team, I think so I think training camp OL is more appropriate).

Both of them taught me a lot about the OL, enough to know I was missing a huge part of the game without realizing it. Enough to realize even now there is a tremendous amount I don't know about it. But I do remember them being very clear that run blocking and pass blocking are VERY different skills. I remember them being very clear that run blocking is less tiring/more rewarding vs pass blocking because pass blocking you are rarely the instigator.

So considering we are clearing trying to shore up our pass blocking strength, does that mean that we have to accept less effectiveness in run blocking?

And given how well Rawls did, it begs the question - was our run game great because of our players or because of our blocking & system? And will making these changes hurt it or make it better?

It would be really helpful to hear from people who understand OL and get their feedback/thoughts.

I know we want to protect Wilson since no QB can get hit that repeatedly and stay effective long term. But what are the tradeoffs? Can we expect our run game to be as effective or do we have to sacrifice some of that with the increased protection?

What about the guys already on OL? Where are the fits & disconnects with the new guys?

Hawks46

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2zyxgc81 said:

Britt was ranked at the #1 RT in the league in run blocking his rookie year. Yes, he was terrible in pass pro, but to say he creates no movement in the run game is disingenuous and an exaggeration. Britt's problems were more diagnostic in nature; he wouldn't recognize certain formations and whiff on his guy or get to him very late. When his run blocking assignments were correct, he moved guys very easily and created gaping holes.

Man, when .net gets a whooping boy, we really go all in on it. I'm making the point because it doesn't really do us any good to be creating more issues than the OL had. Britt didn't diagnose plays well, and got confused at times, but he was a physical run blocker. Which begs the question, why Center ?

It's going to be interesting, as Webb really wasn't very good at RT last year, and he also got moved inside. So, all the sudden he's the guy ? That also makes me suspicious. They've already said Ifedi is going inside, and it does no good to start a rookie out in one position then move him to another halfway through TC.

Our OL could be pretty good, or be pretty bad if our Tackles don't end up playing well.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Again we have changed up the OL, it needed to be done. But what will happen is what always happens when you change the OL, it will be bad before it gets better. That can't be helped as it is the process. No matter how good the rookies are they will be inexperienced and vulnerable to veteran DLs. Add to that the new players at new positions will need time to gel.

There are really only three questions that need answers. Those answers will not come quickly.

How long will the OL take to gel?

How fast can the rookies acclimate?

How good can these players be as a group when the first two questions are answered?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2q13hxps said:
No need to worry about Britt.

He isn't going to be given ANYTHING this year, and at the very least we improved competition (or opened it up for first time in Carroll era) so we have a better chance of picking "winners" from the competition instead of just picking the best loser.

There is no way Britt starts anywhere on the OL unless he's the best on the team.

nategreat

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":37yb1kwh said:
Conventional thinking is always there as a lazy fall back for a media member to voice an unqualified opinion on a subject they have no place discussing and then ultimately regret down the line.

Sounds a lot like these message boards!

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hawks46":112qhj6n said:
CodeWarrior":112qhj6n said:

Britt was ranked at the #1 RT in the league in run blocking his rookie year. Yes, he was terrible in pass pro, but to say he creates no movement in the run game is disingenuous and an exaggeration.

You're certainly welcome to keep your PFF evaluations, I'll trust my eyes. Britt is trash in both pass pro and run blocking. He has terrible hand placement and allows players inside much too easily. He will also be the tallest starting center in the league I believe, so leverage won't be on his side. Leverage isn't a strong suit of his regardless, as he plays tall and relies on upper body strength to block. He sets a weak base, which will kill him at center. He better be smart with the line calls to make up for his technical deficiencies.

two dog

Reaction score
King Dog":4jv7kpn0 said:
I believe Hunt will be starting at Center come game 1.

Thank you. He's my adopt a rookie and doesn't seem to get much respect due to his "small" size.

True, he gives up a full inch of height and six pounds of weight to Patrick Lewis but I too think he
is our starter opening day.

That is unless Cable has one of his center position brain attacks like last year.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2xxfaitt said:
No need to worry about Britt.

He isn't going to be given ANYTHING this year, and at the very least we improved competition (or opened it up for first time in Carroll era) so we have a better chance of picking "winners" from the competition instead of just picking the best loser.

There is no way Britt starts anywhere on the OL unless he's the best on the team.
King Dog":2xxfaitt said:
That's how I see it too.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":fe2u4b5e said:
I have nothing to base it on, but I get this feeling too.