Seahawks 2016 Expectations

What are your expectations for the 2016 Seahawks?

• Super Bowl Champs. Bam.

Votes: 95 81.9%
  • NFC Champions but lose in the Super Bowl again...Damn.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lose in the divisional playoffs.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Win the division and host a playoff game.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Win the wildcard round, host or go on the road for the divisional.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Just miss the playoffs.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Other...(read my comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Given the facts as we know them so far, based on all the transactions that have occurred up to this point (player losses, draft, free agency, etc) not to mention what appears to be one of the easier schedules we've had in years, what are your realistic expectations for the Seahawks this year?

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm always optimistic at this time of year, and our core is solid. Nice mix of young players with a chip on their shoulder, sound familiar?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
What I expect right now is the NFC to be a 4-way competition between the Hawks, Packers, Panthers and Cardinals. I'm not quite sold on the Packers winning the NFC, they are a good team but just not an extremely great team at the moment. Cardinals could do absolutely nothing against us in week 17, then barely beat a gimped Packers team and then lost big time to Carolina. I think while they might improve somewhat defensively, their offense will probably take a hit. I see them as the least likely of these four teams to go the Bowl. Carolina was the top dog last year but the hangover and losing their best defensive back will definitely hurt them. They will be tough to beat but I think these things put us slightly above them at the moment.

In the Bowl we'll then probably face either the Steelers or the Patriots. I feel like we're a bit of a mismatch for their style of play. I have a feeling that our offense can score a lot easier against their defenses than their offenses can against our D.

Barring injury or key players suddenly going into a huge slump I feel like we have a good shot at winning another Superbowl this year.

Erebus

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1gr2posg said:
What I expect right now is the NFC to be a 4-way competition between the Hawks, Packers, Panthers and Cardinals. I'm not quite sold on the Packers winning the NFC, they are a good team but just not an extremely great team at the moment. Cardinals could do absolutely nothing against us in week 17, then barely beat a gimped Packers team and then lost big time to Carolina. I think while they might improve somewhat defensively, their offense will probably take a hit. I see them as the least likely of these four teams to go the Bowl. Carolina was the top dog last year but the hangover and losing their best defensive back will definitely hurt them. They will be tough to beat but I think these things put us slightly above them at the moment.

In the Bowl we'll then probably face either the Steelers or the Patriots. I feel like we're a bit of a mismatch for their style of play. I have a feeling that our offense can score a lot easier against their defenses than their offenses can against our D.

Barring injury or key players suddenly going into a huge slump I feel like we have a good shot at winning another Superbowl this year.

I agree with you that these are four teams worth keeping an eye on, but I would caution against thinking those are our only threats. There is almost always a surprise contender. In 2012 it was us. In 2013 it was Carolina. In 2014 it was the Cowboys. Last year the Vikings almost knocked us out of the playoffs. Nobody saw that coming before the start of the year.

Dallas is primed for a comeback with Romo presumably healthy and a 4th-place schedule. The Bucs could make a Vikings-like improvement in Winston's 2nd year. The Giants loaded up in free agency and may be a threat.

However, with all that said, I agree with your overall premise. I think we're better than all the other NFC teams and should be the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Reaction score
Erebus":2ji01kj7 said:
Overseasfan":2ji01kj7 said:

I agree with you that these are four teams worth keeping an eye on, but I would caution against thinking those are our only threats. There is almost always a surprise contender. In 2012 it was us. In 2013 it was Carolina. In 2014 it was the Cowboys. Last year the Vikings almost knocked us out of the playoffs. Nobody saw that coming before the start of the year.

Dallas is primed for a comeback with Romo presumably healthy and a 4th-place schedule. The Bucs could make a Vikings-like improvement in Winston's 2nd year. The Giants loaded up in free agency and may be a threat.

However, with all that said, I agree with your overall premise. I think we're better than all the other NFC teams and should be the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
I agree with your sentiment sans Dallas. I won't believe in them (or Romo) until they WIN a playoff game with Romo at the helm. Hell, it would be a feat for them to make it to the playoffs WITH Romo actually staying healthy the whole year.

They (Dallas) kind of remind me of Arizona - always dangerous, but either stumble at the finish line or get de-railed by injuries...at least until last year. AZ was legit.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm saying it right now, we will be in the Superbowl, I've been having a really good feeling this year and my favorite number has been showing up all over the place like it did in 2013 when we won our first one. The stars have aligned.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree on the top 4...Now process of elimination tells me the Cardinals are out of it because Palmer folds like a deck of cards in a windstorm once the calendar turns to January. Both Rodgers and Newton have proven they can stay hot in January. That leaves 3.

Count me in as someone who believes the Panthers blew their load last year. They played above their heads all year long and that kind of sustainability just doesn't happen in the NFL. Having said that, I still see them as contenders in the NFC, to the point that it's most likely that it's the Seahawks and Panthers or Packers in the NFCCG.

I also feel that magical, tingly feeling (and it's not pehawk rubbing my shoulders this time) like I had in 2013...This could be another special season for us.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Aros":33k9xngw said:
I agree on the top 4...Now process of elimination tells me the Cardinals are out of it because Palmer folds like an umbrella in a windstorm once the calendar turns to January. Both Rodgers and Newton have proven they can stay hot in January. That leaves 3.

Count me in as someone who believes the Panthers blew their load last year. They played above their heads all year long and that kind of sustainability just doesn't happen in the NFL. Having said that, I still see them as contenders in the NFC, to the point that it's most likely that it's the Seahawks and Panthers or Packers in the NFCCG.

I also feel that magical, tingly feeling (and it's not pehawk rubbing my shoulders this time) like I had in 2013...This could be another special season for us.

FIFY :{)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
All depends on the offensive line. If they play even average, I think this team is a Super Bowl team. Conversely if they're still near the 2015 level.. not as confident Wilson gets through 16 games healthy.

kearly

Reaction score
If this team can recapture its toughness, then 2013 will repeat itself. If they can't, they'll be the 2012 Falcons.

I'm keeping a close eye on Green Bay. There is a very real chance they could run the table with their 32nd ranked schedule. Given Seattle's struggles in inclement game conditions, I don't want to see Seattle at Lambeau in January.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3g874u4q said:
All depends on the offensive line. If they play even average, I think this team is a Super Bowl team. Conversely if they're still near the 2015 level.. not as confident Wilson gets through 16 games healthy.

I think the spread is going to make our OL look average or better this year. As long as the coaches don't have their heads up their asses, the OL doesn't worry me at all. And even if it does struggle, Seattle won a SB with statistically the worst OL in team history so they've proven that it can be worked around.

My key for the season is toughness. The 2013 team was tough as nails even with a disaster OL, but they also had peak year Lynch and a peak year defense. Thankfully there are signs that both the defense and the running game are going to be tough again next season. No more Cary Williams, no boatload of injuries heading into the year in the secondary, no Kam holdout, no new DC, etc. It's likely that at least one of the new RBs will add thump, even if it is just situationally.

Erebus

Reaction score
kearly":110mk7za said:
If this team can recapture its toughness, then 2013 will repeat itself. If they can't, they'll be the 2012 Falcons.

I'm keeping a close eye on Green Bay. There is a very real chance they could run the table with their 32nd ranked schedule. Given Seattle's struggles in inclement game conditions, I don't want to see Seattle at Lambeau in January.

It's the 32nd ranked schedule mostly because they play the AFC South and the NFC East. The entire AFC South, except Indianapolis, should be significantly improved. And two teams in the NFC East should be a lot better this year than last. I think Green Bay will end up having an average schedule.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm holding out till I see how fast Cable settles on his O line, if we're playing musical chairs still by the first game then were going to have issues for weeks till it settles out with timing and blocking assignments. I would like them to have it figured out by week 3 of the pre season at least.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kearly":318fh4f6 said:
My key for the season is toughness. The 2013 team was tough as nails even with a disaster OL, but they also had peak year Lynch and a peak year defense. Thankfully there are signs that both the defense and the running game are going to be tough again next season.

No doubt. The heart and soul and engine of this Carroll-driven team is toughness and chip on your shoulder grit you can't teach. I think we are all sensing that this squad may be the most 2013-like squad since, well, 2013.

To me with the spread offense negating some of the woes with our OL, and our soft schedule, I would be surprised if we don't have the #1 seed by late December.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Erebus":3eu8kybg said:
kearly":3eu8kybg said:

It's the 32nd ranked schedule mostly because they play the AFC South and the NFC East. The entire AFC South, except Indianapolis, should be significantly improved. And two teams in the NFC East should be a lot better this year than last. I think Green Bay will end up having an average schedule.

They lost at home to the Lions and Bears and it look an absolute miracle in Detroit to avoid a losing record in the NFCN. They lost Raji and replaced him with a 20 year old rookie that some consider a reach. Jordy turns 31 this month and is coming off an ACL. I certainly think they'll win the North because of the QB position, but they're way too vulnerable not to lose games IMO.