Bevell getting some love...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I know our offensive coordinator is a divisive topic around here, but he gets a little love from ESPNs Matt Bowen.

Bowen did an article (unfortunately, it's on Insider so I can't link it) listing his top-five most creative offensive coordinators in the NFL. If you have ESPN Insider, check it out - its a good read.

His 5: Josh McDaniels (Patriots), Mike Shula (Panthers), Sean Payton (Saints), Bruce Arians (Cardinals)

....and our very own Darrell Bevell.

He compliments Bevell primarily for designing a scheme around the unique skill set of Russell Wilson.

Thoughts?

Jville

Reaction score
Unfortunately ..........

iu

seabowl

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3omj60ju said:
I know our offensive coordinator is a divisive topic around here, but he gets a little love from ESPNs Matt Bowen.

Bowen did an article (unfortunately, it's on Insider so I can't link it) listing his top-five most creative offensive coordinators in the NFL. If you have ESPN Insider, check it out - its a good read.

His 5: Josh McDaniels (Patriots), Mike Shula (Panthers), Sean Payton (Saints), Bruce Arians (Cardinals)

....and our very own Darrell Bevell.

He compliments Bevell primarily for designing a scheme around the unique skill set of Russell Wilson.

Thoughts?

Designing a scheme around the skill set of Wilson? What scheme is that? I have yet to see a scheme built around his abilities other than in the last 2 years where they took crappy O lineman and expected Russell to overcome their ineptness and make something out of nothing. The end of last year was encouraging however other than the read option that he abandoned way too early I see no scheme.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Well thought out article. Bowen is a strong and knowledgeable contributor and his stuff is always good.

A

Anonymous

If you watch the videos out there when Wilson is mic'ed-up you can see numerous clips wherein he and Bevell are talking strategy. You can get the feel of them doing certain things just to set up one killer play throughout the game. One clip in particular is featured during the NFCCG against Packers, when you can hear Wilson say he's about ready to win the game on one of those planned-out and set-up plays, and Bev says that's why was calling the other stuff.

It's cool that they have that relationship and the game-planning down to such a degree that, really, the execution is the only hurdle to success. Well, and having possession of the ball when it comes time to pull the trigger.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Bevell should get some love, he has to cater to everyone, from Pete's philosophy to Cable's Olinemen, to Marshawn's being the offense for those past years. It showed last year that without Marshawn, and a struggling oline, Pete gave Bevell some room to work with the quick passing game. That showed confidence that they can get the passing game going, and when it got going it really got going. Sure he can call some boneheaded mistakes but I think overall if he is able to get Wilson to put up another 30+ TDs this season, he might be a head coach candidate.

mrt144

Reaction score
I'd love Bevell is he figured out the awfulness of 3rd down passing conversion rates.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Why the Seahawks went to the first half of the season offense against the Jaguars after having success blows my mind. That alone is grounds for me hating his face.

kobebryant

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1girjbnj said:
Why the Seahawks went to the first half of the season offense against the Jaguars after having success blows my mind. That alone is grounds for me hating his face.

?? They put 45 on the Jaguars.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
kobebryant":3rz4cp0f said:
falcongoggles":3rz4cp0f said:

I had a good belly laugh when I realized I swapped large felines. Panthers sir, I say again, Panthers.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Bevell is sort of like that really pretty bi-polar chick you can't give up. He's brilliant at times and at other times over thinks things to death and can't get out of his own way. He deserves some credit for being a top 5 dvoa offense every year with a terrible line but the line is blurred on how much of that is Wilson or Bevell. I think he's probably better than people realize(myself included) but can't fault anyone for thinking he sucks. It's weird.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well that's the problem, he is trying to set up one big play and sacrificing another 20 at times in the set up, you have to do both.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bevell is not perfect by a longshot, but he is very underrated on this board. We could do a lot worse for an OC.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
THe guy is an idiot. Unfortunately we will probably have to have a losing season before he "moves on".

kobebryant

Reaction score
austinslater25":32q60vsu said:
Bevell is sort of like that really pretty bi-polar chick you can't give up. He's brilliant at times and at other times over thinks things to death and can't get out of his own way. He deserves some credit for being a top 5 dvoa offense every year with a terrible line but the line is blurred on how much of that is Wilson or Bevell. I think he's probably better than people realize(myself included) but can't fault anyone for thinking he sucks. It's weird.

Agreed. The devil you know IMO is a better option than having your young franchise qb go through multiple OCs.

kobebryant

Reaction score
falcongoggles":11h899ok said:
kobebryant":11h899ok said:
falcongoggles":11h899ok said:

I had a good belly laugh when I realized I swapped large felines. Panthers sir, I say again, Panthers.

Not a particularly creative expansion period in the NFL was it?