O'Brien to RW: "Give it Up!"

HawkGA

Reaction score
The really absurd thing about that situation is that most college quarterbacks don't go on to play in the NFL. And from NC State? Please. The last thing O'Brien should be doing is determining who's starting based on who has a chance to play in the NFL.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm sure he was just trying to motivate him. :)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Gotta wonder how a delusional O'Brien still has a Head Coaching job at NC......Even IF you believed that he had no shot at making it in the NFL, you don't have much in the way of scruples if you have someone with Wilsons determination and heart, and you try and discourage him into just giving up on his dream.
Makes me wonder how many other star athletes had given credence and caved in to someone who is suppose to be able to bring out all their attributes....What's just as lame, some of those so called 'Expert' COACHES get the chance to embellish on and help to set them on the path to a lucrative career of a player, yet they go looking for another basket to put all their eggs into.
With Jimmy Harbaugh in command, he not only overlooks guys like Baldwin & Sherman....The karma in his arrogance, and the poetry in the justice, is when Sherman got the TIP, and put the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.
Maybe he will have LEARNED that he needs to quit taking some of his players for granted while back to Coaching at he College level in Michigan?..........Nah.

Cartire

Reaction score
I thought he couldn't play because NC State wasnt going to allow him to do both Baseball and Football his senior year since he had been drafted. It was one or the other. He chose baseball and was able to go to Wisconsin.

If O'Brien said this as well, it seems pointless. Like, just to demotivated the kid for selfish means? I got to think Wilson might be embellishing or something. Context is needed at the least.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Cartire":3vp3o37i said:
I thought he couldn't play because NC State wasnt going to allow him to do both Baseball and Football his senior year since he had been drafted. It was one or the other. He chose baseball and was able to go to Wisconsin.

If O'Brien said this as well, it seems pointless. Like, just to demotivated the kid for selfish means? I got to think Wilson might be embellishing or something. Context is needed at the least.

I believe Russell. According to O'Brien, he chose Mike Glennon over Russell. Glennon had prototypical-QB height and an extra year of eligibility. I don't think Russell would make up the fact that he was told by his coach that he would never play in the NFL. Unfortunately for O'Brien, Russell went on to do big things at Wisconsin and did make it to the NFL, and O'Brien was fired in the middle of Russell's rookie season with the Seahawks. I don't think Russell meant to rub it in his face; it was just about inspiring young people to overcome the odds in pursuit of their goals.

“Michael would have graduated that year [2011],” O’Brien said. “He could move on if he wanted to at the end of that year. So that was just all part of the decision-making process. It had to happen. You could have one quarterback, you could have two quarterbacks or you could have no quarterbacks.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierin ... b2370.html

hawknation2016

Reaction score
In fairness to O'Brien, it sounds like he was at least upfront about his preference for Glennon, which allowed Russell the opportunity to transfer to a much better program. Glennon is a good QB; you have to be to stick in the league.

If O'Brien had been dishonest, he could have avoided telling Russell his intentions in the summer, allowed him to lose the QB competition in the fall, and then Russell would have been stuck as a backup and maybe never drafted. So O'Brien was wrong about Russell, but at least he was honest.

When you think about it, O'Brien is just one piece of the puzzle that led to Russell being a Seahawk. :thirishdrinkers:

peppersjap

Reaction score
He obviously is a douche bag! I have no problem admitting that I had no idea who Wilson was but there were many people on this forum who were advocating him being drafted and saying how good he would be. That shows me that his coach had as much ability to recruit and evaluate potential players as the average guy drinking a Beer in front of his computer. He is right that Mike Glennon has great size for an NFL QB, so do many players in every high school in the country to include the ones who have never played the game.

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3hiz2cqh said:
In fairness to O'Brien, it sounds like he was at least upfront about his preference for Glennon, which allowed Russell the opportunity to transfer to a much better program. Glennon is a good QB; you have to be to stick in the league.

If O'Brien had been dishonest, he could have avoided telling Russell his intentions in the summer, allowed him to lose the QB competition in the fall, and then Russell would have been stuck as a backup and maybe never drafted. So O'Brien was wrong about Russell, but at least he was honest.

When you think about it, O'Brien is just one piece of the puzzle that led to Russell being a Seahawk. :thirishdrinkers:

I could follow that logic all that way the "give it up" recommendation. As a leader and motivator, that should never come forth from his lips. From his performance at NC State Russell gave no indication that he couldn't succeed at the college level. The coach gave in to stereotypes, which I suppose none of us are immune to; however, in the face of all of that success, all he could come up with is "you're too small?" Come-on now! :34853_doh:

aawolf

Reaction score
HawkGA":3po7mi5q said:
The really absurd thing about that situation is that most college quarterbacks don't go on to play in the NFL. And from NC State? Please. The last thing O'Brien should be doing is determining who's starting based on who has a chance to play in the NFL.

I graduated from NC State, which is why I'm a Russell Wilson fan.

QBs that Graduated from NC State in the NFL right now:
1. Phillip Rivers
2. Mike Glennon (started his rookie year, should be starting somewhere now IMO, 3d round pick)
3. Russell Wilson (graduated)
4. Jacoby Brissett (3d round pick from the Patriots)

I'm not bragging, because we didn't do squat with all these great QBs, but we put them in the NFL.

As to the statements from O'Brien, doesn't surprise me, but RW chose baseball when he was drafted by the Rockies. He didn't show up to Spring practices and gave no indication that he would. O'Brien didn't keep his seat warm because Glennon, the back-up Elite 11 QB, had two years of eligibility left and would have transferred if he didn't start. RW had one year left. When RW decided to come back, the program had moved on. It wasn't the best decision in retrospect, but Glennon set some TD records while he was at NC State after RW left. RW got to showcase his talents even more at Wisconsin, since they actually had an O-line that could block for him, unlike NC State. It worked out best for him in the end.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I can see how RW's baseball decisions might have helped O'Brien make his decision, but to the point about not going to be a pro quarterback, all of those people on your list except for Rivers are post Wilson (or Wilson himself). So at the time the statement was made, they weren't exactly a QB factory.

lobohawk

Reaction score
It seemed at that time that TOB was stuck in a pickle. He could have Wilson for one year or Glennon for two. If I remember correctly, Glennon had enough credits to transfer without having to sit a year (like Wilson did to Wisconsin).

If anything it showed a lack of recruiting to be in that tight spot, since there wasn't anyone really available behind either of them or expected in the next year.

Like was already said, it worked out for Russell to be on the big stage (Rose bowl) and Glennon had a chance to prep for the NFL. He may never have been a Seahawk, if he hadn't gone to Wisconsin.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HawkGA":1bekrigr said:

We have had a few NFL QB's. Russell Wilson, Phillip Rivers, Mike Glennon, Roman Gabriel, Erik Kramer, Johnny Evans come to mind.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ehh, that story sounds like BS, IMO.

Kinda funny because Wilson is getting slammed for all his fibbing in that speech about his baseball career at N.C. State, but this one isn't actually verifiable or not. O'Brien's response to it is pretty hilarious, though: "Good for him."

I can see O'Brien telling him to give up baseball, or telling him to pick one of the two sports. I can also see O'Brien telling him that Glennon was going to be QB #1, or telling him that he'll never make the NFL unless he gave up baseball and dedicated all his time to football. Those all seem like reasonable things to say (particularly given that Wilson did give up baseball at Wisc).

Telling his QB (even his #2 QB) to just give up football, though? Why would he do that? Even if he's a prick who is entirely selfishly motivated that doesn't make a lick of sense.

We also know that he wasn't just a selfishly motivated prick though because we already know O'Brien was still putting in work and trying to get him an NFL combine invite after he had rescinded his NC State scholarship.

I think something else is going on with this story (and the baseball stories) which exlplains why Wilson would be gussying up the details a little bit, but that's probably a topic better left for the shack.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Cartire":1gpseafx said:
I thought he couldn't play because NC State wasn't going to allow him to do both Baseball and Football his senior year since he had been drafted. It was one or the other. He chose baseball and was able to go to Wisconsin.

TOB was let go at NC State and returned to UVA to coach OL for a couple of seasons before retiring altogether last season. Only TOB and Russell know what actually went down (maybe Mike G too) but Cartire has the version the alumni association was given. We were also told that Mike Glennon (who was a redshirt soph) was going to transfer if Wilson came back. Prior to these two TOB's biggest success with QB's had come at Boston College with Matty Ryan. It probably didn't help Russell that at least in practice Glennon was drawing strong comparison's to Ryan.

I did't like the move but I understood it from the perspective of trading one season for two but as it turned out Glennon struggled behind a poor offensive line. He has a cannon arm but back then he had no touch or finesse and did not begin to develop it until late in his senior season. One of my friends son was a record setting TE for Russell's wolfpack teams. He was all conference and finished his senior season 2nd on Mel's draft board. He had a horrible senior season with Glennon and went un-drafted. Some of this had to do with Glennon being left handed and over powering the short touch passes he was used to getting from Russell. Not really Glennon's fault that the kid struggled with the adjustment but If Russell had stayed this kid would be playing on Sundays.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":y7ona0oq said:

If you're saying that he was being 'Honestly Wrong' in his assessments on the immeasurables of Russell Wilson...I agree.
But being totally fair, I guess that one could argue that there were 31 other teams Coaches, Scouts, & GM's that had also sold Wilson short (no pun intended).............. (well maybe just a little bit intentional :16: )

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ O'Brien tried and couldn't get him an audition at the NFL scouting combine after he decided to leave NC State. Height was probably part of it, but that he had already been drafted to play baseball and was playing in MLB summer league probably had more to do with it than anything.

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that Wilson fell in the draft due to his height, but it's not like teams weren't circling around him, or like there were draft prognosticators who thought he was going to go undrafted or something. He was supposed to go in the third or fourth round or so, and did.